NFL 2020

FormerLurker

53 minutes ago, WBeltz said:

Browns are tomorrow or Wednesday(?) 

Chargers were the 21st

Pats and Colts were TBD, but I’d imagine the Colts would “unveil” their changes after the draft since it’s not huge changes.
The Patriots on the other hand are a mystery since they could have smaller changes or bigger changes.

Back in 2014, when the Buccaneers made their changes, they initially said the changes would be small. Then we got to see the atrocious clock numbers and the rest of the hideous uniform to go with it. I hope for the love of Patriots Nation that the Pats remove the red piping and/or use the Color Rush template as their new uniform. 

5 minutes ago, aeastom55 said:

Colts just unveiled new jerseys on their Instagram, changes were a new wordmark and new Color Rush number font on all jerseys.

Ya beat me to  it! Anyways here’s the posts https://mobile.twitter.com/Colts/status/1249715163508494340

https://mobile.twitter.com/Colts/status/1249713958405242880

Are they fire or are they fire?

On 4/11/2020 at 6:11 AM, Froob said:

What the Rams did wasn’t normally allowed either. NFL probably wouldn’t allow it, but they could have attempted to do it.

The NFL now only requires that there be a separation of color in the jerseys. They also blessed off Detroit wearing grey vs white against the Cowboys last year.

3 hours ago, WBeltz said:

Browns are tomorrow or Wednesday(?) 

Chargers were the 21st
The Patriots on the other hand are a mystery since they could have smaller changes or bigger changes.

I’m now fully expecting the Pats to just drop the changes on Twitter like the Colts did. It’s getting too close to the date of the draft to announce anything.

4 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The NFL now only requires that there be a separation of color in the jerseys. They also blessed off Detroit wearing grey vs white against the Cowboys last year.

Interesting - the full text requires a white jersey, but color rash opened it up:

Home clubs shall choose their jersey color (either white or official team color), and visiting clubs must wear the opposite. For preseason, regular season, or postseason games, the two competing teams may wear jerseys in their official colors (non-white), provided the Commissioner determines that such colors are of sufficient contrast.

With so many NFL teams coming out with jersey tweaks this year, wouldn't it be cool to see how the board as a whole rates all the teams?  Something like an advanced poll where every voter scores every team and then we could view stats like best/worst, weighted averages, rankings, etc.  Is this possible once all the jerseys have been released?  (or we could even do a version from a past year)  Anyone know of sites that do something like that?

2 hours ago, _RH_ said:

With so many NFL teams coming out with jersey tweaks this year, wouldn't it be cool to see how the board as a whole rates all the teams?  Something like an advanced poll where every voter scores every team and then we could view stats like best/worst, weighted averages, rankings, etc.  Is this possible once all the jerseys have been released?  (or we could even do a version from a past year)  Anyone know of sites that do something like that?

No.  All it's going to do is inspire debate - which is happening in all the relevant threads.  The results won't mean a thing.

3 hours ago, _RH_ said:

I vaguely remember polls being set up like this? I’m not sure what for exactly. I think it was best dressed weekly matchups?

34 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

No.  All it's going to do is inspire debate - which is happening in all the relevant threads.  The results won't mean a thing.

I don’t know... I like the idea. Debating about which uniform we each individually like the most is what we all do best, for the most part. It wouldn’t be out of the realm of possibility to accomplish something like this. All out ranking system, 32 team bracket AFC vs NFC, whatever could work. Telling a bunch of uniform nerds they can’t debate what uniforms they like the most is like telling a flock of geese it can’t fly south for the winter. It’s gonna do it anyway.

16 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Telling a bunch of uniform nerds they can’t debate what uniforms they like the most is like telling a flock of geese it can’t fly south for the winter. It’s gonna do it anyway.

There has never been a good uniform ranking.  Ours would be no better.  Just my two cents.

38 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

I’d like to see your opinion on what would be a good uniform ranking.

I think what he is saying is that all of the varied opinions of those who would choose to participate don't mean you would come up with anything meaningful. 

If he isn't saying that, i will 😁

42 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

I’d like to see your opinion on what would be a good uniform ranking.

There is no such thing.  There never has been and there never will be.  Ranking dog poo would be a more fruitful exercise.  I'll start a thread and upload some photos for us to get started.

So with the Colts using the serif-heavy 60s numbers, we have a club bringing back this classic style. 

spacer.png

Many teams used to wear this:

spacer.pngspacer.png

And while teams like the Saints use it on their Color Rush jerseys, nobody’s had the gumption to bring it back full time.

spacer.png

Bravo, Colts. 

12 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Probably different 1s, 2s and 5s at a minimum. The team had no consistency in its numbers early in Lombardi's reign.

That was an issue across the league. Especially since teams used local sporting goods stores for their orders. 

9 hours ago, Gothamite said:

spacer.png

I love the quirk of two separate fonts on this jersey. I think this gets overlooked when teams do throwback looks. It should be embraced.

55 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Probably different 1s, 2s and 5s at a minimum. The team had no consistency in its numbers early in Lombardi's reign.

They kept re-using old jerseys until they fell apart, while ordering new ones every year from a variety of manufacturers.  They didn't settle in to one number font until around 1962.  So for those first years, it really wasn't uncommon to see multiple different number styles on the field at the same time.  You can always tell who's wearing an old jersey.

1960_Lions-Packers_4a.jpg

Personally, I prefer the bolder, sans-serif (or fewer-serif) versions best.  Would love to see the Packers adopt this full-time and make it theirs.  

1960_Lions-Packers_7.jpg1960_Lions-Packers_3.jpg1960_Lions-Packers_6.jpg

Bold, distinctive, but not showy.  I really love this font, simple though it is.

After a couple years they bought a full set of jerseys for everybody, with the super-serif number font.

1962_GreenBayPackers.jpg

Well, almost everybody.  

1962_WhittentonJerseyClose.jpg

Cornerback Jesse Whittenton was wearing a two-year-old jersey for some reason.

I'm glad that the Colts have brought this look back.  It's possible to balance tradition and innovation, be both classic and unique.

• TBGKon locked this topic
  • LMU unlocked this topic