St. Bonaventure Bonnies Rebrand Concept

derekh3645

The full script of "St. Bonaventure" seems too long for the front of a unifrom. I love how you stylized it as "St. BONA" on the white and yellow basketball jersey. I think you should stylize all the uniforms with the sorten "St. BONA" for consistency. Other than that you cleaned the Bona Wolf logo and the "B" logo is very unique and would be a nice distinct logo.

pittsburghbanner.jpg

3 hours ago, prrams95 said:

The full script of "St. Bonaventure" seems too long for the front of a unifrom. I love how you stylized it as "St. BONA" on the white and yellow basketball jersey. I think you should stylize all the uniforms with the sorten "St. BONA" for consistency. Other than that you cleaned the Bona Wolf logo and the "B" logo is very unique and would be a nice distinct logo.

Agreed, we always used to just use "St. Bona" (as you can see on the 1970 alternate throwbacks) which I wish we still did, but the school has said they want the full name on uniforms now. Otherwise I think St. Bona would look phenomenal, especially as a script on the baseball unis. I had to make the full script take up a bit more vertical space on the gray baseball jersey, because it does become a bit wide otherwise. Thanks for the input though, much appreciated.

I think the whole presentation is really cool! All the logos are beautifully done and all the jerseys are really classy. My only real complaints are that the slab-serif B of the primary doesn't quite match the sans-serif wordmark font, and that the excellently updated wolf-shield logo is underused.

I like the idea with the cord iconography, and it might be cool to incorporate that as a motif throughout the logo set. Maybe use the rope pattern as an outline, a la Norfolk Admirals, for the wolf logo and the roundel logo (preferably with the bell tower or something else inside instead just repeating the B.) Heck, you might even be able to rework the rope in the primary logo into an S shape to make it a stand-alone SB monogram cap logo! 

But as it stands, it's excellent work!

Very well thought out here.  The B could so easily have ended up nondescript, but the knots make it distinct, and in a way that would only make sense for such an institution to boot.

The presentation is top notch, I know if someone showed me an identity in this manner, I'd think, "We should look like this yesterday."

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Probably the coldest game I ever announced was a hockey game at St. Bonaventure in January. Must have been 20 degrees in that rink.

It's a beautiful rebrand, and I'm shocked how little I miss the gold. The ONLY suggestion I have is that in the script, the v looks like a w with the letters around it, and I actually thought it was some alternate or clever spelling at first. Maybe adjusting the heights of the vertical lines immediately around it would fix it.

That B is fantastic. Emphasize that. Not loving the shield-B, I think it's because of the rope cutting into it. Maybe tuck that behind the outside line or shrink the B. 

I think a ST. B would be a worthy addition, that B with a "ST" added to it at the top, a good item of flexibility (maybe in lieu of the shield B?)

It's a fantastic concept. Really good stuff.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

On 8/24/2020 at 7:12 PM, vtgco said:

I think the whole presentation is really cool! All the logos are beautifully done and all the jerseys are really classy. My only real complaints are that the slab-serif B of the primary doesn't quite match the sans-serif wordmark font, and that the excellently updated wolf-shield logo is underused.

I like the idea with the cord iconography, and it might be cool to incorporate that as a motif throughout the logo set. Maybe use the rope pattern as an outline, a la Norfolk Admirals, for the wolf logo and the roundel logo (preferably with the bell tower or something else inside instead just repeating the B.) Heck, you might even be able to rework the rope in the primary logo into an S shape to make it a stand-alone SB monogram cap logo! 

But as it stands, it's excellent work!

Both of these ideas are actually ones I considered (I didn't wind up putting the rope around the circle because the rope was already in the B, but I just tried it out and it does look good). The rope in the S shape is something I also tried out, along with about 1,000 other variations. It's a great idea that I may try to work in again if I can. Some people have said on Twitter that the rope reminds them to much of a snake, but this was the best of all the ways I tried it.

On 8/27/2020 at 3:55 PM, stumpygremlin said:

I think this is fantastic. I have a nitpick and a question.

Nitpick: Why are your numbers standard block instead of a font that matches the wordmark?

Question: What's the significance of the wolves to the school?

Thanks. I've just always loved the simple block numbers we've always used, but I think some very subtle changes could make it match the font better. I will try that out. Also, there is a famous story of St. Francis taming a wolf, and that image has always been in a few different places on campus. When we changed from "Brown Indians" in the early 90's they decided on a wolf as the mascot because of that story.

On 8/26/2020 at 5:24 PM, hockey week said:

Probably the coldest game I ever announced was a hockey game at St. Bonaventure in January. Must have been 20 degrees in that rink.

It's a beautiful rebrand, and I'm shocked how little I miss the gold. The ONLY suggestion I have is that in the script, the v looks like a w with the letters around it, and I actually thought it was some alternate or clever spelling at first. Maybe adjusting the heights of the vertical lines immediately around it would fix it.

That B is fantastic. Emphasize that. Not loving the shield-B, I think it's because of the rope cutting into it. Maybe tuck that behind the outside line or shrink the B. 

I think a ST. B would be a worthy addition, that B with a "ST" added to it at the top, a good item of flexibility (maybe in lieu of the shield B?)

It's a fantastic concept. Really good stuff.

Nice catch, I'm going to update the bottom of the V to make it sharper. The shield B adjustment looks good but I actually think that could be eliminated from this altogether because it's a bit redundant with the B roundel logo.

Archived