Houston Rockets Logo Concept

Agus

Hi guys, I started exploring this world of graphic designs and sports concepts during this quarantine. I've been visiting this forum for a couple years and recently I decided to join.

I wanted to share with you some concepts I've been doing for a Houston Rockets redesigning. As you can see, it's very based on their 1996-2003 looks, including the rocketship (albeit not that very cartoony). On the secondary, I tried some rocket launch smoke pattern at the end of the H and the R, but I'm not quite convinced of it, so made another one with the regular lettering. The font used is called Space Quest, wanted to get a "space" like vibe from it.

Any feedback and criticism is welcome! I'm recently starting on this so I want to know if I'm heading in the right direction.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I appreciate the cleanup of the old 2000s logo; it looks way better without a cartoony face. The font is also a solid choice.

I do think the rocket should be centered on the logo, with the "Rockets" text around the ball like "Houston." That way the focus is on the motion rather than the very static rectangle. 

As for the HR monogram, I like the idea but agree with @LA Fakers+ LA Snippers that it's kinda wonky. I'd copy the exhaust from the primary logo and use that just once, either as part of the combined horizontal bar of the H & R or part of the combined vertical bar. You might need to taper the letters to make it work.

It's certainly a good start to an upgrade! I'd be curious to see that wordmark on a jersey set.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2020 at 5:58 PM, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Nice work, but even though I see what your trying to convey with the "HR-rocket-ball" but it just looks a little wonky.

On 8/27/2020 at 11:42 PM, vtgco said:

I appreciate the cleanup of the old 2000s logo; it looks way better without a cartoony face. The font is also a solid choice.

I do think the rocket should be centered on the logo, with the "Rockets" text around the ball like "Houston." That way the focus is on the motion rather than the very static rectangle. 

As for the HR monogram, I like the idea but agree with @LA Fakers+ LA Snippers that it's kinda wonky. I'd copy the exhaust from the primary logo and use that just once, either as part of the combined horizontal bar of the H & R or part of the combined vertical bar. You might need to taper the letters to make it work.

It's certainly a good start to an upgrade! I'd be curious to see that wordmark on a jersey set.

Sorry for the lateness, thanks for the feedback guys! About the "HR" logo, I do agree about the "wonkiness" of the HR secondary. It felt a little rushed on my part.

Made some corrections to both logos, mainly based on the suggestions of @vtgco.

spacer.png

As you can see, the primary logo is now a roundel, with the rocketship being centered. I had to reshape and recolor the tip of the rocket, now being red so it doesn't feel lost on the navy background. Took some inspiration on other roundel logos on the league (such as the Hawks) to see how the wordmarks fit on the circle.

spacer.png

In the secondary, I eliminated the ball and shaped the center line as a rocket, sharpening the top of it and the bottom as the exhaust.

spacer.pngspacer.png

As for the jerseys, I made some sketches. They return to pinstripes, but they end before reaching the number and wordmark. The tips are also sharpened to represent a rocket, and the 5 stripes at each side represent a player on court. Kept the current number font since it fits well with the new wordmark

What do you guys think about it? Feedback is welcome!

Archived