Racial Injustice's Impact on Sports

CS85

NBA's going to resume.  Not sure if the LA teams will participate.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'I'm assuming the LA team follow the lead of their peers, but really hard to say.

I don't know if player advocacy contributed to this, and it's possible this was long in the works. Who knows. It's a good model and I would imagine other arenas will/have to follow suit:

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

17 minutes ago, CS85 said:

NBA's going to resume.  Not sure if the LA teams will participate.

Per Shams:

The NBA’s players voted to continue the playoffs inside the Disney bubble, a day after a Milwaukee Bucks-led protest brought the league to a temporary, screeching halt, sources tell The Athletic.

In a Thursday meeting at the Coronado Springs resort, the players agreed to resume play, though Thursday’s three playoff games would be postponed.

On Wednesday night, the Lakers and Clippers voted to end the playoffs, while the other bubble teams voted to continue. All of this centers around anger and frustration over the shooting death of Jacob Blake, a 29-year-old Black man who was gunned down by police in Kenosha, Wisc.

The two LA teams are on board with resuming, including LeBron James, who was a driving force behind the Lakers’ original vote.

The players do want to find better ways to push their message of racial justice, stretching beyond protesting during the national anthem and wearing “Black Lives Matter t-shirts.”

The mood on campus Wednesday night after the first players’ meeting was relaxed, loose even, as people from all professions (players coaches, media, doctors, referees, etc.) unwound with beverages of their choice well into the morning hours. The reason was obvious — there would be no work on Thursday, no playoff games or practices.

VmWIn6B.png

The Saints did a bold move, and the comments are as expected.

DFHYfOq.png

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I think owners do have sway, at least some of them do, so it makes sense for players to make it worth ownership's while to continue to do more. Many of the ownership class are connected politically and/or are major donors to pols in ways that the players aren't. They're the ones that get tapped for blue-ribbon committees. Glen Taylor used to be a state senator, Pagliuca ran for US Senate when Ted Kennedy died, there are probably other examples too.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

11 hours ago, GDAWG said:

I don't know how race relations are up there

Probably better than the US, but there are some big issues, at least in hockey circles.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

If LeBron was the driving force behind the Lakers vote to not resume the season, that leads to believe that his decision was at least partially influenced by Giannis (The closest thing he's had to a rival this year) and the Bucks being the first to boycott. I'm not sure that he does the same thing if the Toronto-Boston series was the first one to postpone.

10 minutes ago, sportsfan7 said:

If LeBron was the driving force behind the Lakers vote to not resume the season, that leads to believe that his decision was at least partially influenced by Giannis (The closest thing he's had to a rival this year) and the Bucks being the first to boycott. I'm not sure that he does the same thing if the Toronto-Boston series was the first one to postpone.

Huh?

Also no.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

There's been an undercurrent of idea over the past few years for NBA players to go all-in on player empowerment by starting their own league. Big 3 was a start on how that might work; if there aren't substantial commitments from the owners to do things differently, then there's always that risk of LeBron, Chris Paul, KD, and others wishing the NBA well but then starting their own league. If The Rock can buy XFL, LeBron can start the XBA. Or whatever you want to call it. There's more leverage here than I think people think.

NBA viewership is dropping year after year and it's not because people hate the team owners (though in many cases they should). Is the timing right?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

10 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

Lol gotta have something to complain about even when they're going along with the movement eh.

Going along, not being leaders is exactly the problem in the NHL.

Leaving it at that, before I lose constraint and get myself a couple weeks off this place.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

51 minutes ago, the admiral said:

NBA viewership is dropping year after year and it's not because people hate the team owners (though in many cases they should). Is the timing right?

WWE's ratings are in the toilet but they've made more money this year than they ever have before.

The owners take 50% of billions in revenue for a league with poor (relative) ratings. Cut the owners out, and even a smaller pie is much bigger for a player-owned league.

1 hour ago, _J_ said:

Going along, not being leaders is exactly the problem in the NHL.

It was a black guy in Wisconsin who got shot, why would anybody but the Bucks (or Bulls, if they were playing) be the leaders on this? Why would a bunch of Slavs lead the way? Use your head.

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The owners take 50% of billions in revenue for a league with poor (relative) ratings. Cut the owners out, and even a smaller pie is much bigger for a player-owned league.

"Hi everybody I'm Kevin Durant. I have started a new league because I believe the Jews are shape-shifting parasites who arrived here on a spaceship. In a related story, I'm interested in booking a circuit of 18,000-seat arenas around North America and negotiating television contracts, which should not be difficult."

14 minutes ago, the admiral said:

It was a black guy in Wisconsin who got shot, why would anybody but the Bucks (or Bulls, if they were playing) be the leaders on this? Why would a bunch of Slavs lead the way? Use your head.

social injustice is an international issue (unless it happens in Hong Kong) and our leaders in the NBA are the only ones brave enough to understand that

Archived