NHL Winter Classic uniforms, ranked

CS85

ipa7lLd.png

1.  2014 Detroit Red Wings:  Cream of the crop, the pairing of cream and red with those amazing numerals/fonts, it brings out the best of an enlarged Red Wings logo and looks miraculous on the ice.

GIF GRADE: 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e471i2za3fm5kg22u3qf6

-------------------

JcV551F.png

2.  2013 Philadelphia Flyers:  Cream and orange with the black accents and those amazing keystone captain patches, ugh, what a glorious look.  The Flyers should have this be their permanent home look, and it's not even debatable. 

GIF GRADE: 

giphy.gif

-------------------

eFTT9dy.png

3.  2011 Pittsburgh Penguins:  The scarf-wearing penguin is a great perk, but the winners of the stage are the wondrous numbers (which should be employed by some team in the near future, as it looks too good to be wasted on a one-off) and the thick light-blue bands that dominate the socks over the shin guards and midsection. 

GIF GRADE: 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e473506e79dabb247d7f2

-------------------

vllaxdP.jpg

4.  2010 Boston Bruins:  Black, white, and yellow are all portioned in satisfying amounts to make this uni sing on the ice.  The crest has an infinitely more fun and interesting form of the B/spoke than the Bruins employ, giving the look a welcome dose of personality.

GIF GRADE: 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e4731deebf94b8ad7f278

-------------------

AJWuwV0.jpg

5.  2017 Chicago Blackhawks:  Love the old crest with all that detail, plus the Captain patches had a unique font that was quite sharp.  The tomahawk C on the arm striping is brilliant as well. 

GIF GRADE: 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e479sqe0c008nueipmepe

-------------------

VNhxeBi.jpg

6.  2016 Montreal Canadiens:  I have no idea why these aren't their primary road uniforms.  There's just enough vibrant red without having it conflict against the rich blue.

GIF GRADE: 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47qotr3hitxftq9dsl9t

-------------------

L9mmvhv.png

7.  2011 Washington Capitals:  I'd like these a lot more if the stars were just on the pants and striping on the hem and socks matched.  There's a lot to like here, but needs some refining.

GIF GRADE: 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47d74e191c31851e6199

-------------------

JwS3AWs.png

8.  2014 Toronto Maple Leafs:  The addition of the white yoke hurts this look IMHO.  I will say, however, that the 2014 WC was probably the best looking one yet.

GIF GRADE: 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47e4e66495a58642453c

-------------------

6Hf5fDx.jpg

9.  2008 Pittsburgh Penguins:  This uniform was kind of a keystone moment for me.  I distinctly remember seeing this sweater and wanting so badly to find the money to buy it simply because I enjoyed how it looked.  I'm not a collector or anything, so that was a personal first.  Unfortunately the light blue uniform trend has permeated sports in the last year or so and has lost any semblance of exclusivity.

GIF GRADE: 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47p67soshrr4ugvyckgb

----------------------

MAUW1j2.png

10.  2018 New York Rangers:  If the Columbus Blue Jackets didn't exist, I'd say the Rags would be well served to have this vie for their regular look, but as it were, the Beej are a thing. 

GIF GRADE: 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e478a7nu1nr4mfq2u0u63

----------------------

PXbu411.jpg

11.  2019 Chicago Blackhawks:  Striking, striped, simple. 

GIF GRADE: 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47of1fd2l226ch0kswfg

----------------------

zY4aw32.png

12.  2017 St. Louis Blues:  Some may find this ranking criminally low, but I'm not ashamed to admit a major bias against the Blues aesthetic.  I've never once liked how their uniforms looked, and while yes their WC look was vivid and perhaps the best they've looked (especially in comparison to their woeful normal sweaters), it doesn't float my boat. 

GIF GRADE: 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47ee9njtg48m12m1wej2

----------------------

0zWSUpg.jpg

13.  2009 Chicago Blackhawks:  The triangles on the pants add a great element, and the tan/cream works so much better than having those bands be white.  At its heart, however, these have always felt too Sens-y for my tastes.

GIF GRADE: 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47flj4z5p63jm8pc5upd

----------------------

WDzUkKT.jpg

14.  2013 New York Rangers:  This would be infinitely higher on my list if they didn't have cream and white mixed around hither nither.  Cardinal sin, but cool look nonetheless.

GIF GRADE: 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47fue9kb34vtbr5kxdgs

----------------------

PyHyJy6.jpg

15.  2020 Dallas Stars:  I'll give credit for them mocking together a decent looking fauxback, complete with champaign pants and a massive crest that really looked pretty good on the ice.

GIF GRADE: 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47r60hqp49atmy11o6sk

----------------------

bQTgX13.png

16.  2018 Buffalo Sabres:  My issue with these is namely that they look like the official IKEA hockey team, plus it doesn't help that the Sabres just put out their new look which is absolutely glorious and these look like an afterthought in comparison.

GIF GRADE: 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47vc5m5crkg7hb9tl85e

----------------------

oIUTUZn.jpg

17.  2015 Washington Capitals:  Holtby wearing some traditional brown leather with his goalie pads make this look so much better than it really is.  The crest isn't bad but I hate that the Capitals whole deal is just to throw goddamn stars all over everything.  If you have so many stars I feel like they should be the Capitols, because at least then all the stars make sense. 

GIF GRADE: 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e472v33z18s9xekfklzm7

----------------------

UzGNjuX.jpg

18.  2008 Buffalo Sabres:  For the time it was cool to see the Sabres don their throwbacks since they were still wearing the abhorrent Buffaslug sweaters that season.  Combine that with the Pens sweaters and a wonderful snowy day and it was immensely satisfying television.  I put this look down here so low namely because it's essentially what they wear now and I'd rather reward inventiveness or improved execution over a mere throwback.  Plus it's my list so I'll do whatever I want.  Friendly reminder that Cardinals fans obsessed over mourning two dead drunk drivers.

GIF GRADE: 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47rkfz2nqmurqqe0ex2t

----------------------

uasCpVT.jpg

19.  2019 Boston Bruins:  The use of brown here is wonderful, but virtually everything about this is generic.  They look like an evil college team the Mighty Ducks would've faced off in the 90's, or maybe the Hufflepuff Ice Quidditch squad.

GIF GRADE: 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47s27gsrp89oebg62a0u

----------------------

S1cqNok.png

20.  2015 Chicago Blackhawks:  Basically the same road uni they've always had with minor adjustments.

GIF GRADE: 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e479s1lc5g6b4iuvqsa3u

----------------------

2eAFz9P.jpg

21.  2010 Philadelphia Flyers:  It's basically what they've been wearing for years already.

GIF GRADE: 

giphy.gif

----------------------

vRhJ5Pf.jpg

22.  2016 Boston Bruins:  Don't use a shoulder patch as a crest.  I like the huge numbers, but otherwise this is poor.

GIF GRADE: 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e471pnzocafgs6gs2igw3

----------------------

EM6EUKn.jpg

23.  2020 Nashville Predators:  Shame on them for not using the weird tiger logo as their main crest, instead using tilted janky script awkwardly across the midsection stripe.  TN flag on the pants is a decent touch.  Otherwise they clearly spent maybe 15 minutes putting this together.

GIF GRADE: 

giphy.gif

----------------------

t0ZGCTU.jpg

24.  2009 Detroit Red Wings:  They put the Red Wing on the shoulder, added a Habs stripe, and farted a giant old english D in there.

GIF GRADE:

200.gif

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

While you make some good points, I have to disagree with some. I'm only going to do my Top 5, though.

1. Boston Yellows - These jerseys suffered from clouds and it being a night game. We never really got to see these in game action in the sunlight. This seems to be the closest image I could find. Incredible.

3__1261169766_1445.jpg

2. Montreal Whites - Same problem as Boston, in that they suffered from lack of sunlight, but the white is just so crisp on these.

r40595_3000x1878cc.jpg

3. Blackhawks 2009 - This seems to be a trend, but these also didn't see much sunlight. I'm a sucker for teams using secondary colours, and this use of black is perfect.

Detroit+Red+Wings+v+Chicago+Blackhawks+E

4. Blackhawks Black & White - a uniform completely devoid of colour is such a unique look, and it's eye-catching.

patrick-kane-of-the-chicago-blackhawks-p

5. Red Wings 2014 - True white would have made these a lot better, but it's hard to do something new for the Red Wings. These unis gave us an incredible script logo on the pants (which still needs to be added to the mothership)

tomas-tatar-of-the-detroit-red-wings-ska

5d96b9f8422073e5.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

12 hours ago, CS85 said:

6.  2016 Montreal Canadiens:  I have no idea why these aren't their primary road uniforms.  There's just enough vibrant red without having it conflict against the rich blue.

Too much history under the standard white. The blue stripe one was used for only a couple of years (44-47) during the Maurice Richard era, before they reverted back. I think it's a great Habs throwback, but I'd leave it at that. I prefer the CH on a white background.

12 hours ago, CS85 said:

23.  2020 Nashville Predators:  Shame on them for not using the weird tiger logo as their main crest, instead using tilted janky script awkwardly across the midsection stripe.  TN flag on the pants is a decent touch.  Otherwise they clearly spent maybe 15 minutes putting this together.

The Preds wanted to pay tribute to the Dixie Flyers, Nashville's minor league hockey team from the 60s.

Yeah it’s basically been CHI and BOS every other year.  

Learning some good stuff in the comments! 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

On 8/27/2020 at 11:11 AM, CS85 said:

22.  2016 Boston Bruins:  Don't use a shoulder patch as a crest.  I like the huge numbers, but otherwise this is poor.

But this was Boston's original crest from 1924.  This is pretty much a throwback to their original uniforms except in black instead of brown.

r8H4qxj.png

On 8/27/2020 at 11:11 AM, CS85 said:

24.  2009 Detroit Red Wings:  They put the Red Wing on the shoulder, added a Habs stripe, and farted a giant old english D in there.

Again, this is a pretty straight-forward throwback to Detroit's original 1926-27 uniforms, when they were the Detroit Cougars. 

HDwOOhm.png

You know something? This makes me realize I hardly like any Winter Classic uniforms. The Wings had cool socks in '09, the Sabres wore straight throwbacks in 08, and that's about it. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I like the Blackhawks sets from 2009 and 2019. I also realized recently how much I liked when the Pens use blue. It's probably bias, but I liked that Capitals fauxback set from 2015. It would've been a really cool match up in my eyes if the Blackhawks had gone with an older version of their logo for their jerseys that year. 

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

You know something? This makes me realize I hardly like any Winter Classic uniforms.

Agreed, most of these uniforms look extremely underwhelming.  The only teams to really knock it out of the park were the Bruins (2009) and Blues IMHO. 

21 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

Agreed, most of these uniforms look extremely underwhelming.  The only teams to really knock it out of the park were the Bruins (2009) and Blues IMHO. 

The second Sabers one would’ve been a nice modernization of their classic look (I.e., doing a “consistent” stripe on the hems and sleeves). I still prefer the direction they went, but a more thorough modernization would’ve been nice. 

But yeah, I only really like the gold Bruins, Blues, and the Stars. The Preds had a good logo upon their shoulders, but not as good a full set.

3 hours ago, _J_ said:

Ugh list being backwards.

Apologies.  Got 80% of the way done and was committed. 

twitter

• 3 weeks later...

Archived