SSmith48's NFL Redesign: (20/32 - Jacksonville Jaguars)

SSmith48

The NFL season should be kicking off here within the next few weeks barring any serious developments, so I guessed it's time to do the obligatory NFL redesign. Most of these looks focused on blending classic looks with modern elements, while others are complete redesigns. 

All of these uniforms also have watermarks, as I have already posted all of these on Instagram and I wanted to avoid content being stolen (although I feel that is too much of a concern, but its better to be safe than sorry).

NFL REDESIGN

NFC NORTH

Chicago Bears - Green Bay Packers - Minnesota Vikings - Detroit Lions

NFC SOUTH

Atlanta Falcons - New Orleans Saints - Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Carolina Panthers

NFC EAST

Dallas Cowboys - New York Giants - Philadelphia Eagles - Washington Warriors

NFC WEST

San Francisco 49ers - Seattle Seahawks - Los Angeles Rams - Arizona Cardinals

AFC NORTH

Pittsburgh Steelers - Cincinnati Bengals - Cleveland Browns - Baltimore Ravens

AFC SOUTH

Indianapolis Colts - Houston Texans - Jacksonville Jaguars - Tennessee Titans

AFC EAST

New England Patriots - Miami Dolphins - Buffalo Bills - New York Jets

AFC WEST

Denver Broncos - Kansas City Chiefs - Las Vegas Raiders - Los Angeles Chargers

Team 1: Dallas Cowboys

The Cowboys have one of the most iconic looks in professional football. ALMOST timeless. One of the big issues for me is the amount of mismatching colors. Across all of their current sets, they have two shades of blue, and two shades of silver. And while I really wanted to include all of them, their set suffers from all the discord, so I decided to blend both shades of both colors to create new versions to include in this new set. I also decided to use one striping scheme for the whole set: a recolored version of the current home striping. A new thicker serif block also creates a more traditonal look, and to top it all off, white pants return as an alternate option for both home and road uniforms as well as a color rush option.

9ibOuZE.png

Up Next: The NFL's version of the Gold Standard

And credit to @kb105 for the template!

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

The NFL season should be kicking off here within the next few weeks barring any serious developments, so I guessed its time to do the obligatory NFL redesign. Most of these looks focused on blending classic looks with modern elements, while others are complete redesigns. 

All of these uniforms also have watermarks, as I have already posted all of these on Instagram and I wanted to avoid content being stolen (although I feel that is too much of a concern, but its better to be safe than sorry).

NFL REDESIGN

NFC NORTH

Chicago Bears - Green Bay Packers - Minnesota Vikings - Detroit Lions

NFC SOUTH

Atlanta Falcons - New Orleans Saints - Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Carolina Panthers

NFC EAST

Dallas Cowboys - New York Giants - Philadelphia Eagles - Washington Warriors

NFC WEST

San Francisco 49ers - Seattle Seahawks - Los Angeles Rams - Arizona Cardinals

AFC NORTH

Pittsburgh Steelers - Cincinnati Bengals - Cleveland Browns - Baltimore Ravens

AFC SOUTH

Indianapolis Colts - Houston Texans - Jacksonville Jaguars - Tennessee Titans

AFC EAST

New England Patriots - Miami Dolphins - Buffalo Bills - New York Jets

AFC WEST

Denver Broncos - Kansas City Chiefs - Las Vegas Raiders - Los Angeles Chargers

Team 1: Dallas Cowboys

The Cowboys have one of the most iconic looks in professional football. ALMOST timeless. One of the big issues for me is the amount of mismatching colors. Across all of their current sets, they have two shades of blue, and two shades of silver. And while I really wanted to include all of them, their set suffers from all the discord, so I decided to blend both shades of both colors to create new versions to include in this new set. I also decided to use one striping scheme for the whole set: a recolored version of the current home striping. A new thicker serif block also creates a more traditonal look, and to top it all off, white pants return as an alternate option for both home and road uniforms as well as a color rush option.

9ibOuZE.png

Up Next: The NFL's version of the Gold Standard

And credit to @kb105 for the template!

NICE! I can tell that this is going to be one of my favorite threads on this forum! I mean, this Dallas Cowboys uniform concept looks a thousand times better than the uniform the Cowboys wear about 90% of the time. That uniform (which I think is called the "Star Blue" uniform) is completely hideous. I mean, there's no reason why the Cowboys should use two different shades of blue and two different shades of silver. IMO, the Cowboys should just stick to navy blue & the silver they use in their wordmark logo & be done with it. No more royal blue & silver-green. Those colors don't represent Dallas' NFL team at all. Also, I do have one small critique: Ezekiel Elliott's last name is spelled with two (2) "T"s. Apart from that, well done!

This cowboys fan likes what you did I got no problem if we dropped those tomorrow. I like the royal blue home whites just because of tradition and they look clean, but I can appreciate unifying all the colors into two common shades. Excited to see more

1 hour ago, mvk said:

I’m not sure why anyone would want to change the iconic uniforms of the Cowboys.  Their uniform quirk is the best in sports. Especially not for more Silver and Navy.

Um, NO. The Dallas Cowboys' uniform quirks are the WORST in sports. Every other sports team (not just NFL) knows that your uniform colors NEED to match. Also, the Cowboys' colors are navy blue & silver. Just look at the helmet. It's not just my opinion. Take it from Paul Lukas of Uni-Watch:
https://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/071025

2 hours ago, CATLogo1 said:

Um, NO. The Dallas Cowboys' uniform quirks are the WORST in sports. Every other sports team (not just NFL) knows that your uniform colors NEED to match. Also, the Cowboys' colors are navy blue & silver. Just look at the helmet. It's not just my opinion. Take it from Paul Lukas of Uni-Watch:
https://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/071025

I didn’t say it was just your opinion.  I think changing what the Cowboys have worn for 50+ years just to homogenize Navy and Silver is silly.  Especially considering those are the worse of the set of colors they wear.  

And why do the uniform colors have to match? The Cowboys are consistently near the top in sports merchandise, let alone just NFL, so obviously it’s not hurting them in any way, shape, or form.

1 hour ago, mvk said:

I didn’t say it was just your opinion.  I think changing what the Cowboys have worn for 50+ years just to homogenize Navy and Silver is silly.  Especially considering those are the worse of the set of colors they wear.  

And why do the uniform colors have to match? The Cowboys are consistently near the top in sports merchandise, let alone just NFL, so obviously it’s not hurting them in any way, shape, or form.

It's not silly to, in your words, "homogenize navy and silver". The worse of the set of colors the Dallas Cowboys wear are royal blue & silver-green. However, it is frustrating that the Cowboys will not even consider a uniform design change, so long as Jerry Jones owns the team. The uniform colors should match, because they do for the other 31 NFL teams. While it's true that the Cowboys are consistently near the top in sports merchandise sales, it all just goes back to the idea that Cowboys fans will buy whatever is put out there for sale. I guarantee you that most fans don't even realize the disconnect between the Cowboys' white jersey with royal blue lettering, numerals and stripes, and the team's navy blue jersey with silver trim. Just because it's the uniform that the Cowboys have worn for several decades now doesn't mean it looks good in any way, shape or form. It's hideous to look at. It very well might just be the single WORST uniform design in sports.

Perhaps a better mix of the color schemes might help. Keep the unique silver-blue of the helmets and use a darker shade of royal, throwing back to the second color scheme when they added silver. I love the shade of the helmet and, to an extent, home pants, but hate that everything changes in the road set to navy and silver.

5 minutes ago, HoopsCoach55 said:

Perhaps a better mix of the color schemes might help. Keep the unique silver-blue of the helmets and use a darker shade of royal, throwing back to the second color scheme when they added silver. I love the shade of the helmet and, to an extent, home pants, but hate that everything changes in the road set to navy and silver.

Except that officially speaking, the Cowboys' colors are navy blue and silver already. My source is per the NFL Throwback YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXcFE3zTreg

Just now, CATLogo1 said:

Except that officially speaking, the Cowboys' colors are navy blue and silver already. My source is per the NFL Throwback YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXcFE3zTreg

Correct, but since the home set isn't, I think that using the helmet shade with a dark royal would be the best compromise to create a unified look while still distinct from the rest of the league.

8 hours ago, CATLogo1 said:

It's not silly to, in your words, "homogenize navy and silver". The worse of the set of colors the Dallas Cowboys wear are royal blue & silver-green. However, it is frustrating that the Cowboys will not even consider a uniform design change, so long as Jerry Jones owns the team. The uniform colors should match, because they do for the other 31 NFL teams. While it's true that the Cowboys are consistently near the top in sports merchandise sales, it all just goes back to the idea that Cowboys fans will buy whatever is put out there for sale. I guarantee you that most fans don't even realize the disconnect between the Cowboys' white jersey with royal blue lettering, numerals and stripes, and the team's navy blue jersey with silver trim. Just because it's the uniform that the Cowboys have worn for several decades now doesn't mean it looks good in any way, shape or form. It's hideous to look at. It very well might just be the single WORST uniform design in sports.

It’s a top five uniform set in all of football.  Thinking they have to match just because all other teams do is just out there.  

And do you honestly think fans don’t realize there’s different colors used between the white jersey set and the blue jersey set?  I think you’re way off base there, and most are more than okay with it - they’d be pretty upset if changed just because some people think they have to be only 2 colors.

9 hours ago, mvk said:

It’s a top five uniform set in all of football.

I know opinions are subjective and all, but all of football? College and professional? They aren't even the best uniform in their division, let alone conference, let alone league, not to even mention all of football.

Great work btw @SSmith48 I'm really excited to see your next team. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

9 hours ago, mvk said:

It’s a top five uniform set in all of football.  Thinking they have to match just because all other teams do is just out there.  

And do you honestly think fans don’t realize there’s different colors used between the white jersey set and the blue jersey set?  I think you’re way off base there, and most are more than okay with it - they’d be pretty upset if changed just because some people think they have to be only 2 colors.

I didn't realize this would start a big discussion 😅

The notion of multiple blues/silvers isn't the biggest issue for me, but the uniform would benefit greatly from unified shades. After all, the team's current aesthetic started off with single shades back when the style was introduced back in the late 60's. I feel that it makes the uniforms much cleaner and actually brings them back to their roots. As a general look, the multiple blues are a sloppy idea that if used by another team would be ridiculed and hated. The only reason they have lasted this long is because of the legacy and nostalgia associated with them. Overall I just wanted a cohesive look across all elements and uniforms.

There's honestly a lot more I could say on the topic, but I don't want to continue to detract from the content of this thread. The conversation could be better continued on another thread.

The next team should be up shortly!

spacer.png

Team 2: San Francisco 49ers

It's very hard to even touch the timeless 49ers uniforms, especially with how they've been touched up by Nike... but that doesn't mean I didn't want to try something new. First, the helmet drops black from the logo, which is something I think improves the aesthetic of an otherwise untouchable uniform. The jerseys have some more notable changes. The three stripes are back, but with some touches of gold. The number font is inspired by posters found during the period of the gold rush, which helps add some more character. I also loved the all-white throwback alternate the Niners wear, so I added a new white pair of pants to this rotation. This may be a change that is a bit more than what most people want, but I wanted to see what a more colorful and nuanced take on the 49ers would look like.

5wB764H.png

Up Next: All for the Blue Horseshoe

spacer.png

On 8/31/2020 at 8:56 AM, SSmith48 said:

I didn't realize this would start a big discussion 😅

The notion of multiple blues/silvers isn't the biggest issue for me, but the uniform would benefit greatly from unified shades. After all, the team's current aesthetic started off with single shades back when the style was introduced back in the late 60's. I feel that it makes the uniforms much cleaner and actually brings them back to their roots. As a general look, the multiple blues are a sloppy idea that if used by another team would be ridiculed and hated. The only reason they have lasted this long is because of the legacy and nostalgia associated with them. Overall I just wanted a cohesive look across all elements and uniforms.

There's honestly a lot more I could say on the topic, but I don't want to continue to detract from the content of this thread. The conversation could be better continued on another thread.

The next team should be up shortly!

I agree. Generally speaking, the Dallas Cowboys should stop using multiple blues & multiple silvers. It's a sloppy look for them. I can see what you were trying to accomplish with this concept. The stance I've held is still consistent: the Cowboys would benefit from having a cohesive look across all elements and uniforms. Maybe if the Cowboys would ditch navy blue for royal blue, and then ditch the silver-green pants for the metallic silver pants w/royal blue socks, then it might look a whole lot better. Do you think you could do a concept like I'm describing, @SSmith48? The concept I'm describing is as follows:
Metallic silver helmet with royal blue star, royal blue & white helmet stripe in center, and metallic silver facemask.
Current white jersey with solid royal blue numerals, lettering, and double horizontal sleeve stripes, but with silver trim on the sleeve stripes.
Mirrored royal blue jersey with solid white numerals, lettering, and double horizontal sleeve stripes, but with silver trim on the sleeve stripes.
Metallic silver pants with royal blue & white stripes on the side panels, paired with solid royal blue socks.

On 8/31/2020 at 8:39 AM, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I know opinions are subjective and all, but all of football? College and professional? They aren't even the best uniform in their division, let alone conference, let alone league, not to even mention all of football.

Great work btw @SSmith48 I'm really excited to see your next team. 

I have to agree with @_DietDrPepper_ here. The Cowboys' current uniform set isn't even the best-looking uniform in their own division, let alone conference, let alone league, not to even mention all of football. It all goes back to the fact that they have two totally different looking uniform designs for their white and primary team colored jerseys. I've always maintained the stance that the Cowboys' on-field uniforms would look so much better if the white jersey & primary team colored jerseys mirrored each other, and if they wore the same pant colors & design for both home & road games.

I don't think I'll be going back to the Cowboys uniforms, at least for the moment. For the most part I think the concept currently presented is really the "ideal" version, or at least from the C&C I get that vibe. I may revisit/tweak it later, but for now let's keep rolling!

Team 3: Indianapolis Colts

Much like the team's i have already done, the Colts are simply iconic, perhaps even more so. The over the shoulder stripes and blue horseshoe is one of the best looks in the NFL, and its hard to mess up. I didn't want to mess much up with the current formula, so I kept most of the changes from the newest redesign (most notably the serif block font, and yes I got rid of the stupid back Nike swoosh on the roads). The changes I did make focus around the helmet, with tweaked striping to match the pants/jersey, and the gray facemask replaced with a white one. 

zWmLmUu.png

Up Next: The phalanx is on the move

spacer.png

2 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

I don't think I'll be going back to the Cowboys uniforms, at least for the moment. For the most part I think the concept currently presented is really the "ideal" version, or at least from the C&C I get that vibe. I may revisit/tweak it later, but for now let's keep rolling!

Team 3: Indianapolis Colts

Much like the team's i have already done, the Colts are simply iconic, perhaps even more so. The over the shoulder stripes and blue horseshoe is one of the best looks in the NFL, and its hard to mess up. I didn't want to mess much up with the current formula, so I kept most of the changes from the newest redesign (most notably the serif block font, and yes I got rid of the stupid back Nike swoosh on the roads). The changes I did make focus around the helmet, with tweaked striping to match the pants/jersey, and the gray facemask replaced with a white one. 

zWmLmUu.png

Up Next: The phalanx is on the move

@SSmith48 OK, I understand that the uniform concept you've created for the Dallas Cowboys will be the only one you create for now. As far as the uniform concept for the Indianapolis Colts is concerned, there's not really much you can do differently than what they've been wearing. The only thing I can see that you have done differently is you've unified the striping pattern on the shoulders/side panels on pants & applied that striping pattern to the helmet. I like that element of your uniform/helmet concept for the Colts. I'm a fan of the idea that certain teams should use a unified striping pattern on the helmet, jersey sleeves & pants side panels.

Archived