Metroid Prime Hockey League: Phendrana Drifters Update 02.08.2021

Morgan33

@jwinters asked about the creation process of these concepts so here is how they are done, step by step.

1) Preliminary Sketches

I like to figure out (roughly) how the jersey it going to look beforehand so I'll start with some rough ideas to see what works and doesn't.  Some concepts have more preliminary ideas than others.

5oAzPYc.jpg

2) Creating a Template
Most of the work for these drawings comes in the creation of a template which involves a lot of tracing and refining.  Since I've done literally hundreds of these drawings it has become easier as I can just pull a template, trace what I need from it and add any logo or striping changes.  I always make sure I have a black and white template complete before doing the actual drawing so I can go back and refine or update it if necessary.  I use a ruler, a (crude) light-table and a 'Pilot Drawing Pen' for this.  I can't recommend the pen enough for precise drawings as their tips are super fine and they rarely bleed.

ddU61k5.jpg

3) Creating the Drawing and colouring it.
Next I will trace the main jersey twice and the alternate once to begin the actual drawing.  When it's complete I will colour them with Prismacolour Premier markers.  You have to colour very lightly around the edges or the markers will bleed through the lines.  It has taken me a lot of practice to avoid bleeding and to get the colour as consistent as possible.  Both the templates and drawings are done on 8.5 by 11 computer paper with a bright finish.

XKlN9mU.jpg

4) Scanning
When the drawing is complete, I scan it as a colour-document Jpeg.  This makes it crisper than if it was scanned as a photograph.

5) Photoshop Colour Adjustments
Adjusting the colours in Photoshop is absolutely essential because the scanner almost always interprets the colours differently than how they look on the drawing.  Sometimes I won't have a marker of the exact colour I want so I'll use the closest shade I can find before making the adjustment in Photoshop.  I use the "replace colour" feature to do this.

6) Final Touches

Sometimes you'll be working on a drawing for hours and you'll make a smudge or mistake.  Instead of starting from scratch I will airbrush the smudge out or fix the mistake with the clone stamp.  It's not about tricking anyone into thinking I'm better at drawing than I am, it's about making the final piece look as good as possible.  I try and make these adjustments subtle.  After that I just add my logo and text and viola! 

C7ljs62.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that that's out of the way, lets move on to the next team!

Team Name: Temple Lightbringers
Metroid Locale: The Temple Grounds
Conference: Aether

Description: 
This team is based off the second game's overworld map in the Temple Grounds. The Temple Grounds are the home of an alien race called "The Luminoth" hence the light-based theme.  The creature on the alternate is "Lightbringer," a scavenger that creates a protective field that shields Samus from Dark Aether's atmosphere.  It's not native to the Temple Grounds but it fit the general theme so I included it.  C & C is always appreciated, thanks for looking!

Z6JxFQT.jpg

Thank you for posting the step-by-step process! It seems like a lot of work, but the result is outstanding!

The Temple Lightbringers look really sharp! The TLB monogram on the shoulders is very creative, and the colours really pop. The sublimated rays of light on the upper sleeves are a great look, too. I'd love to see some Arizona team do something like that with their uniforms. In fact, with a slightly darker red, this would be a great template for for a Coyotes redesign. The helmet logo is a really nice composition too.

Great work as ever!

11 hours ago, jwinters said:

Thank you for posting the step-by-step process! It seems like a lot of work, but the result is outstanding!

The Temple Lightbringers look really sharp! The TLB monogram on the shoulders is very creative, and the colours really pop. The sublimated rays of light on the upper sleeves are a great look, too. I'd love to see some Arizona team do something like that with their uniforms. In fact, with a slightly darker red, this would be a great template for for a Coyotes redesign. The helmet logo is a really nice composition too.

Great work as ever!

The concepts take a decent amount of time to complete but I find drawing really fun it doesn't seem like "work."  Appreciate the kind words and feedback :).

2 hours ago, B-mer said:

Pretty sure he did almost the same thing for a previous Coyotes concept. Works with this too though. Do these colors hold any significance from the game?  Just hearing the team name I get a different color scheme coming to mind. 

The level is mostly sand and earth-tones with the majority of the architecture containing red and black highlights.  I switched the colour hierarchy around because I really wanted a primarily red team in the league.  I did indeed recycle the sublimated rays from a previous Coyotes concept (Sans the Star) because I thought it would be a good fit for the namesake.

mmHuMPU.png

Next!

Team Name: Tallon Quarry Metroids
Metroid Locale: The Phazon Mines
Conference: Tallon IV

Description: 
You know we had to have team based off the iconic, brain-sucking creatures themselves!  This is a concept to represent the first game's creepiest locale, The Phazon Mines.  Since most of the level's architecture is dull and dingy, I decided to base the colour palette off the toxic, blue substance itself.   While the main set is as conservative as it gets for this series, I did include one nod to the architecture on the pant design.  The alternate adds some additional colours to show the landscape of the Impact Crator (place where you fight the final boss), which can be seen in various areas of the level.  C & C always appreciated, thanks for looking!

tOsAn46.jpg

Last team from Metroid Prime 2 Echoes!

Team Name: Torvus Bog Dwellers
Metroid Locale: Torvus Bog
Conference:  Aether

Description:

The Sanctuary Fortress is in my opinion the most compelling local in Metroid Prime 2 but the Torvus Bog is close behind.  For this concept I wanted to capture the ambience of the levels underwater sections.  The main logo is an aquatic creature called a "Blogg" in attack mode with a subtle "T" on its top section.  The alternate depicts Samus in morph-ball mode navigating an underwater section of the level.  The morph ball contains a hidden "B" and "D."  C & C very much welcome and appreciated for this concept and the last one.  Thanks for looking :).

kQXUhVa.jpg

Well, we've come to the final team.  But that doesn't mean this series is over.  There will be updates to teams in the future but these drawings do take a significant amount of time to complete so it may be winter before they are posted.  Thanks to everyone who liked and commented :).

Team Name: Overworld Defenders
Metroid Locale: Tallon Overworld
Conference:  Tallon IV

Description:
This team is based off the lush, rainy Tallon Overworld.  The logo and striping is based off the architecture and artwork of the main Chozo temple over the Impact Crater.  Anyone who has played the first game to the end will understand the significance of this. C & C welcome and appreciated, thanks for looking!

tiO8bQk.jpg

5 hours ago, thaipod said:

This is so nerdy and I love it.  Metroid Prime and it’s two sequels were such fantastic games!

Thanks!  I loved the first two games but I just couldn't get past the new control scheme for 3.

4 hours ago, Chromatic said:

Metroid Prime 1&2 are amongst my favourite games of all time as well. I'm really enjoying this series. My only critique is that the Agon logos look a little, uhh, phallic. Maybe thats just me though.

Thanks a lot, I'll never be able to un-see that :lol:.  In all seriousness though, I was thinking of making the alternate logo the primary before you commented and this just solidifies that decision.  Glad you enjoyed the series!

3 hours ago, Section30 said:

I have no idea about any of the Metroid stuff, but I have been silently following this series throughout and from a design aspect every team is very unique and well done, especially for being hand drawn concepts

Well done!

Appreciate the kind words, thank you!

3 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

Thanks!  I loved the first two games but I just couldn't get past the new control scheme for 3.

I'm the opposite where I loved the new control scheme so much I wish I had a chance to get that Trilogy package that had 1 and 2 with Wii controls.

That said, Super Metroid for the SNES is in the top 5 of my favorite games of all time.  

• 3 months later...

This series is back!  I have taken people's comments and criticism's and redone no less than six of the teams.  I will post the first one later this afternoon but in the meantime, here's a teaser image with the updated logos.  Shout out to everyone who provided helpful critique and I hope you enjoy the new concepts!

- Morgan

VOuUqvZ.jpg

Tallon Quarry Metroids 2.0
I'll admit it, my first concept for this team was really half-assed.  Of all the locales in the first Metroid Prime, The Phazon Mines is my least favorite so I decided to base this updated concept off the game's final boss instead.  Shoutout to @sparky for inspiring the colour choices with his excellent "Seattle Sockeyes" concept.  C & C very welcome and appreciated, thanks for looking!

3mTo3M8.jpg

Tallon Quarry Metroids 1.0

tOsAn46.jpg

18 hours ago, sparky said:

Great to see this series back, Morgan33...

The creativity and craftsmanship on display here are fantastic.

It's kinda comforting to see some good ol' pencil/pen/marker and paper work.🙂

Keep it going!👍👍

Thanks Sparky, that means a lot coming from a talented designer like yourself. 

Temple Lightbringers 2.0
Version 1 of this team was another half-assed design for a locale I really didn't want to do.  Shout to @B-mer for calling me out for recycling an old Coyotes concept.  For this update I wanted the jerseys to really reflect the level they were modeled after.  The sublimated rays on the main set have been replaced by a distinctive wood-texture found throughout the level and the Chozo head has been simplified for a more effective primary mark.  The alternate keeps the sublimated rays from the Coyotes concept but adds a distinctive elements honeycomb pattern that makes up the floor-tiles.  C & C very much appreciated, thanks for looking!

buyWl7t.jpg

Temple Lightbringers 1.0

Z6JxFQT.jpg

Archived