2020 NBA Offseason

Digby

On 11/7/2020 at 10:20 AM, JayMac said:

Exactly. They are taking away one of the only reason to even watch a basketball game at all.

Wait - one of the only reasons to watch a game is to hope one of the teams gets beaten so bad that they have to come back by more than 20 at the end?

Do you shut if off if it's a competitive game since the improbable comeback isn't possible?

I don't watch much NBA so I don't get a vote in the matter, but IMO there's nothing more boring than the end of a blowout game - especially if the losing team does all the fouling and crap at the end.  It's like a baseball game where a team is down by 10 runs in the 8th and still changes pitchers every batter.

Of course, if I was a paying fan, I'd probably want a refund if I only got to see 3 quarters of a game.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Wait - one of the only reasons to watch a game is to hope one of the teams gets beaten so bad that they have to come back by more than 20 at the end?

Do you shut if off if it's a competitive game since the improbable comeback isn't possible?

I don't watch much NBA so I don't get a vote in the matter, but IMO there's nothing more boring than the end of a blowout game - especially if the losing team does all the fouling and crap at the end.  It's like a baseball game where a team is down by 10 runs in the 8th and still changes pitchers every batter.

Of course, if I was a paying fan, I'd probably want a refund if I only got to see 3 quarters of a game.

I meant just the 4th quarter in general but a 20 point lead is not necessarily insurmountable. 

This idea isn't even solving a real problem. Blowouts are not a constant problem in the NBA, if anything the close game that reverts to cynical constant fouling/replays/timeouts with no flow and little actual open gameplay at the end is a larger issue.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

If an NBA team can make a game end early by being up by twenty or more points after three quarters or gaining a lead of twenty or more points during the fourth quarter, then, for better or worse, a team in the lead would have a strong incentive to try to run up the score throughout the second half (and especially in the last few minutes of the third quarter).

Granted, I am not sure as to whether or not the NBA should adopt any kind of mercy rule, but I think that the NBA and practically every other basketball competition are far overdue for an embrace of probably the best deterrent of game-slowing, boredom-and-frustration-inducing intentional fouls that anyone has devised so far in the whole history of the sport: the Elam Ending.

I'm assuming the "mercy rule" is since the players are complaining about the lack of offseason to recover, and that there could be back-to-back-to-back MLB-style series, this would at least shave a few minutes off of a few games and maybe let them recover more.  Some math guy could easily figure out how many minutes the players' bodies would be spared in a season.  I assume it would be around a game's worth at least.

They have to be creative in order to keep the players fresh.  A one-time change like this isn't going to destroy the game... unless it turns popular enough that both players and owners want to keep it - which is doubtful because then you have the issues with the fans.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Big personality, one of the biggest and best homers ever, he'll be missed. 86 is really really old for a big guy.

Just read that he was with the Celtics for all of their championships in one capacity or another. I didn't realize that. That's amazing.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Looking like Schroeder to the Lakers for their pick plus Danny Green, and I bet tomorrow is going to be wild once transactions are allowed again.

I still see a dark horse of PG to Brooklyn, Russ to LAC and young talent to Houston, but who knows. It's the NBA. Anything is possible.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Rumors are that Harden and Russ want out of Houston. Possible landing spot for Harden is Brooklyn to be reunited with KD. No clue where Russ could go, but I highly doubt the Hornets are the landing spot like some people speculated.

the user formerly known as cdclt

Harden to Phila has also been talked about some since Daryl Morey came.  Houston would either need to take a horrible contract like Al Horford, or the Sixers would need to part with Ben Simmons.  

I will be watching the NBA Draft, not because I want to see where the players go, namely I want to see if the 2020 NBA Draft will be as entertaining as the 2020 NFL Draft was.  For those that did not watch the 2020 NFL Draft, sure it was done virtually, but there was a lot of entertainment: Jerry Jones conducting the draft on his Yacht, the appearance of Bill Belichick's Dog, whatever was going on in Mike Vrabel's home during the first round, Kliff Kingsbury's epically awesome house, Andy Reid's Hawaiian shirts and Roger Goddell seemingly not giving a darn to the point where on the third day of the Draft, he was sitting on a chair in the basement of his house.....in a t-shirt!

Basically, I want to see Mark Cuban conduct the Mavericks draft from the set of Shark Tank and how Pop conducts the Spurs drafts from his house.

Archived