Digby

2020 NBA Offseason

Recommended Posts

I don't think anyone expected CP3 to end up in Phoenix, but it'll be really interesting to see how old Chris Paul and young Devin Booker mesh. Presumably it'll be great.


As a Lakers fan, I'm just happy Paul didn't end up with the Clippers, where he would have had his greatest opportunity for success.

 

It'll be funny when Paul gets injured and OKC wins a playoff spot over the Suns. Rubio/Oubre/SGA isn't a world-beating team, but those guys plus some smart vet signings is a pretty decent core. Would be greater still if they were in the Eastern Conference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stealing from Reddit -- OKC turned Russell Westbrook and Paul George into Ricky Rubio, Kelly Oubre, Ty Jerome, Jalen Lecque, Danilo Gallinari, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, two pick swaps and eight first round picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like a great trade for both sides; OKC gets more assets to hoard, which is boring, but makes enough sense and they were putrid when they were still "trying" anyway. CP3 seems a good fit for Pheonix as both a veteran leader and as a missing piece on the court, and they'll get to sell a billion of those Tetris jerseys they just got. Assuming they keep up their bubble momentum, they probably won't be a title contender or anything but certainly seem like a possible Most Improved Team for the year.

 

Selfishly -- desperate for the next move to be Adams to Boston for Hayward, Time Lord and some picks. Probably would have to be a rental but would be a key one if the Celtics want to get over the ECF hump.

 

These Harden trade scenarios... I don't know. A Harden-for-Simmons centered swap seems like the most reasonable idea. Harden on the new Nets would be great if they introduce a second basketball to the court.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know, the more I think about it, the more I think about the NBA being two distinct seasons with two very different fanbases: the off-season, where the OKC Thunder are multi-time champions (taking the crown from the Sixers), and then the actual season, where games are played and teams win and lose.

 

For all of OKC's draft pick accumulation, they'll still need to pick players and win games. And in 12 years in OKC, they haven't won a title yet. Granted, they've done far better than most other NBA franchises, but end-of-year titles still matter most and they don't have any of those.

 

The 76ers and Celtics are case studies in the blessing and curse of draft pick accumulation. While it's good to have more than fewer, players still matter, and top five players matter moreso. If you don't have one (or two) of them, you don't really have a chance.

 

I guess that all to say it's cool to see OKC with 100 first round picks, but at the same time, the smarter play (if you're trying to win a title) is to have gone big on Kawhi and PG. It pains me to give credit to the Clippers, but I think it's important to recognize games matter most. It's ESPN, not CNBC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The 76ers and Celtics are case studies in the blessing and curse of draft pick accumulation. While it's good to have more than fewer, players still matter, and top five players matter moreso. If you don't have one (or two) of them, you don't really have a chance.

 

That was the entire point of the Process that you rail so hard against.  It just turned out that neither Embiid nor Simmons are the top-5 players that they needed to be in order to validate The Process, and they allowed Coangelo to F everything else in the organization up, they held on to the wrong coach for too long, and Markel Fultz simply wasn't an NBA-ready player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really great trade for Portland. RoCo is entering his prime, always make good decisions, and plugs in everywhere. Portland had a rough 2019/20, but they were also super injured. They could do well this year.

 

Also good for Milwaukee to do something for Giannis. Could have just kept Brogdon though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BBTV said:

 

That was the entire point of the Process that you rail so hard against.  It just turned out that neither Embiid nor Simmons are the top-5 players that they needed to be in order to validate The Process, and they allowed Coangelo to F everything else in the organization up, they held on to the wrong coach for too long, and Markel Fultz simply wasn't an NBA-ready player.

 

Or maybe there IS a player development aspect to building a champion, which is something The Process was aggressively disinterested in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, rams80 said:

 

Or maybe there IS a player development aspect to building a champion, which is something The Process was aggressively disinterested in.

 

Yeah, exactly. Hinkie might have drafted Steph Curry, but he wouldn't have become Steph Curry in Philadelphia.

 

And Hinkie had two shots in 2013 to take a top 5 player and he grabbed Nerlens Noel and MCW instead. He wasn't even good at what he was supposed to be good at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What was the last team to win a championship with mainly homegrown talent, and no huge FA signings/trades? The 2015 Warriors? And even they ended up getting KD the next season. 

Raptors are a good example of how even if you draft & develop well, you're still going to need that Kawhi/Lebron/Garnett superstar to get you a championship. 

 

Teams like the 2015 Warriors & 2011 Mavs are more of an aberration.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

 

Yeah, exactly. Hinkie might have drafted Steph Curry, but he wouldn't have become Steph Curry in Philadelphia.

 

And Hinkie had two shots in 2013 to take a top 5 player and he grabbed Nerlens Noel and MCW instead. He wasn't even good at what he was supposed to be good at.

 

8 hours ago, rams80 said:

 

Or maybe there IS a player development aspect to building a champion, which is something The Process was aggressively disinterested in.

 

Noel was universally lauded as a great value pick since he was hurt and slipped.  I could probably go back on these boards and find positive posts about it.  MCW was ROY.

 

It's fair to say they didn't focus on player development early on, because they were trying to field a poor team.  It was a catch 22.  They needed to develop guys and let them play in order to get better, but then they may  not have lost enough to keep getting picks.  That those guys didn't become anything anywhere else shows that the development in most cases didn't matter.  either way, Hinkie wasn't the coach.  Then once they landed on their big two, they put that idiot Coangelo in charge, who was even worse than Hinkie at everything other than getting jobs despite a lousy resume.  They kept a coach in charge because he was supposed to be great at player development, but the reality was he was too soft with the players and they didn't improve.  Now they all have max contracts, so there's not much Doc Rivers can do.  Oh well.

 

It's still better than being a perennial 7 seed and being boring.  At least games are (were) fun to go to again, entire seasons have sold out, and they became a perennial 50 win team.  So while they didn't achieve the goal of the process, it wasn't a complete failure.  From a pure business standpoint, it was a major success.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those are great moves for the Bucks -- I know there was a bunch of scuttlebutt about CP3 for them but I think Jrue is a better fit. A mid-market team that's not rolling over and giving up! Love it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow.

 

 

In case that doesn't embed, per KOC of the Ringer, Tilman Fertitta is holding up an opportunity to trade a generational talent for a younger one because his feelings are hurt.

 

Billionaires are beyond worthless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morey was with the Rockets longer than Fertitta. Who is he to take things so personally? What a dope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

an opportunity to trade a generational talent for a younger one because his feelings are hurt.

 

 

 

Wait - so Ben Simmons is a "generational talent"?  I may not be a basketball expert, but I'm not sure how a guy that's made exactly one three-point shot in his career can be considered in the same category as a James Harden.  If Simmons is "generational", then that's another check box in favor of The Process, since the point was to acquire generational talent (and be a title contender with said talent, which has obviously not happened for many reasons.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BBTV said:

 

Wait - so Ben Simmons is a "generational talent"?  I may not be a basketball expert, but I'm not sure how a guy that's made exactly one three-point shot in his career can be considered in the same category as a James Harden.  If Simmons is "generational", then that's another check box in favor of The Process, since the point was to acquire generational talent (and be a title contender with said talent, which has obviously not happened for many reasons.)

 

Fine. If the process set out to acquire talent as its only goal, then in this limited case (post-Hinkie) it met that goal.

 

But that goal wasn't also to win a title. Talent alone doesn't win titles. You also need to develop it and surround it with complementary pieces, which the process was never interested in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.