Jersey Numbers You Rarely See Your Team Use

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Canucks have unofficially retired # 11 for Wayne Maki, who died in 1974 from brain cancer.  Mark Messier had it written into his contract that he got to wear number 11 when he signed with the Canucks, even though the Maki family protested it.  Nobody since has wore number 11.

13 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Depends on the team. 

I've seen a few teams use 99, but i still think it's a pretty uncommon. 

Generally, I don't see 0 or 00 used that much.  

Basketball is the only sport that I know of that it (0 or 00) is considered acceptable.

Marty Biron(Sabres) used to wear it, but was forced to change.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

55 minutes ago, _J_ said:

Basketball is the only sport that I know of that it (0 or 00) is considered acceptable.

I'd argue that while it's allowed in basketball and baseball, it's never "acceptable".

It's cute when someone like Omar Olivares wears 00, or Al Oliver wears 0, but other than that I'm not a fan.  Especially when there's a 0 and 00.  That's the same number.

A similar, but more absurd example, was when Benito Santiago went with 09.  GTFO - your number isn't that important that you need to go to that length to keep it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think Santiago zero-padded his number because his catching gear would have blocked the whole number out if it were a single digit. "Then why not use a normal two-digit number?" Don't ask me!

00 looks cool, more players should wear it. Double-zero hero.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 9/15/2020 at 8:43 AM, BBTV said:

I'd argue that while it's allowed in basketball and baseball, it's never "acceptable".

It's cute when someone like Omar Olivares wears 00, or Al Oliver wears 0, but other than that I'm not a fan.  Especially when there's a 0 and 00.  That's the same number.

A similar, but more absurd example, was when Benito Santiago went with 09.  GTFO - your number isn't that important that you need to go to that length to keep it.

Fair point. The way I understand it(could have changed) is that in the NBA all single digit numbers are treated as if there is a zero in from.

Ie, Kyle Lowry's number is technically 07 and not 7, even though he wears 7. With that, you cant have a 0 and a 00 or a 07 and a 7 because theyre the same number as far as the NBA is concerned.

5qWs8RS.png

If the Yankees do it, that means it's acceptable.

IBPJG46HE5A2ZMCHAQBFHAV45M.jpg

The thing that I take issue with here is a pitcher wearing a single-digit number, which is a very bad look.

...I'm not a fan.  Especially when there's a 0 and 00.  That's the same number.

This I agree with. I love the 1985 Blue Jays, and I'm a huge fan of Cliff Johnson. But that was not the right thing to do.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

As a Washington fan I can't believe that I never noticed how few retired numbers they have. I mean, as a kid I worshipped Monk and Green, and I would think their numbers HAVE to be retired. But I also can't believe that they haven't retired Riggins, Jurgensen, or any of the Hogs...

On 9/16/2020 at 7:21 PM, _J_ said:

Fair point. The way I understand it(could have changed) is that in the NBA all single digit numbers are treated as if there is a zero in from.

Ie, Kyle Lowry's number is technically 07 and not 7, even though he wears 7. With that, you cant have a 0 and a 00 or a 07 and a 7 because theyre the same number as far as the NBA is concerned.

spacer.png

19 hours ago, moosejaw7 said:

As a Washington fan I can't believe that I never noticed how few retired numbers they have. I mean, as a kid I worshipped Monk and Green, and I would think their numbers HAVE to be retired. But I also can't believe that they haven't retired Riggins, Jurgensen, or any of the Hogs...

Off the top of my head, numbers that SHOULD BE retired but aren’t-

7 (Theismann, out of circulation from 1986-2019 [Haskins] )

9 (Jurgensen)

21 (Taylor)

27 (as in my OP, it’s been out of circulation since 2010, but should’ve been retired with Ken Houston)

28 (Green)

30 (Br. Mitchell)

44 (Riggins)

59 (Fletcher)

60 (Samuels)

70 (Huff)

72 (Manley)

81 (Monk)

On 9/15/2020 at 6:45 AM, _J_ said:

They now allow it in college football.  I don't recall what team, but I saw a WR wearing that number a week or two ago. It was jarring.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 9/18/2020 at 10:37 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

If the Yankees do it, that means it's acceptable.

Surprising since you're such a "golden age" person.  My "research" shows that the first 0 was probably '78 (Al Oliver) while the first non-"name is 0 so LOL I'll wear 0" was in '79 by George Scott, who was traded to KC and only wore it for a couple dozen games.

Numbers started being worn what - in the '30s?  Why would it take nearly 50 years for someone to wear 0?  Do you think the team/leagues prohibited it?  Or just that none of the thousands of players during that period thought it was a good number to wear?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

Numbers started being worn what - in the '30s?  Why would it take nearly 50 years for someone to wear 0?  Do you think the team/leagues prohibited it?  Or just that none of the thousands of players during that period thought it was a good number to wear?

My guess is that the number 0 had the connotation of "nothing" and "worthless", and so was not something that anyone really coveted.  

The first wearer of any form of 0 was, I think, Jim Otto of the Raiders, who wore 00 starting in the early 1960s in the AFL, lasting through to the end of his career in the mid-1970s, at which point the NFL outlawed the number.  Otto obviously took the number from the letters of his name.  He made the number look tough and rugged, and undoubtedly contributed to the erosion of any negative connotation. 

And, as you note, Al Oliver debuted the number in baseball.  Though I must admit that I did not remember his wearing 0 as early as 1978 with Texas.  I thought that he first wore it with Montreal in 1982, probably because he looked so cool in that uniform.

Al Oliver | Spring training baseball, Major league baseball teams, Mlb  uniforms

(Side note: look at those beautiful stirrups.  That's what a ballplayer looks like.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Possibly additional to this

I know know about other sports, but I know rugby union(and I believe soccer did as well) has numbers tied to the positions rather than players having free choice. Rugby is 1-15 for the starters based on position with no choice in the matter. These numbers started with 1, so I think it might be a holdover from this era.

5qWs8RS.png

Archived