Houston Dynamo (MLS) & Houston Dash (NWSL) rebranding.

BrySmalls

"Dynamo is a word to describe someone who never fatigues, never gives up. The new name is symbolic of Houston as an energetic, hard-working, risk-taking kind of town. We believe a parallel can be drawn to the two major communities in Houston: English speakers and Spanish speakers. Together they will create electricity at games unlike any other in MLS."    

- former Houston Dynamo president Oliver Luck at the March 7, 2006 unveiling of the club's name at the Houston Museum of Natural Science

"Houston's the energy capital of the world. Dynamo's a word that represents energy, movement, pace, and quickness."
- former Houston Dynamo chief operating officer and president Chris Canetti reflecting upon the Houston Dynamo brand  

Say what you will about the Houston Dynamo moniker, it certainly measures up quite well when one reviews the options the club was originally mulling prior to the selection - and subsequent abandonment - of the Houston 1836 name:

Houston Americans
Houston Apollos
Houston Buffaloes
Houston Bulls
Houston Eagles
Houston Gatos
Houston Generals
Houston Lonestars
Houston Mustangs
Houston Stallions
Houston Toros 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I disagree on this point.

The typography for the HD monogram is directly in line with the traditional style of monograms we've seen from big European and South American clubs over the years. (Rangers, Inter, '90s Chelsea, Flamengo in Brazil.) That's not to say it's the same precise font, but it appears to be in the same spirit as those iconic European and South American crests.

And the word "Dynamo" isn't what I'd consider a modern brand, especially in soccer. I've always presumed that, much like Real Salt Lake, it was chosen to parrot existing brands found in global soccer. And the names most associated with Dynamo have been around for almost a century: Dynamo Moscow (founded in 1923) and Dynamo Kyiv (founded in 1927).

Dynamo just sounds modern tho. And it’s not a name that any casual or even semi serious soccer fan associates with top flight football, imo. Unlike the Real/United/Sporting/FC etc names of the world. 

And I feel that your avg American (myself included) has no real idea what Dynamo is or means, but it definitely has an energy to it. 

(obligatory “it’s provocative, it gets the people going”)

I've always felt (since 2006) that Dynamo implies a person or group that has dynamic qualities. Dynamic, by definition, is a process or system characterized by constant change, activity or progress. It could also be a force that stimulates change. Dynamo is the personification of dynamic.

FWIW, the Dynamo have been anything but dynamic since 2013. Houston Attempt Profitability doesn't look very good on a shirt, though.

Thankfully,  they kept it "Dynamo".  I think it conveys energy and while it sounded odd at first, I think it has been around long enough that I could not imagine them changing its name. 

Now , if only the New England Revolution can do something about their logo....

I saw, I came, I left.

On 10/23/2020 at 4:38 PM, BryanSmalls said:

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned in the thread, but would the Houston Dash (NWSL) also rebrand as well since their logo is similar to the Dynamo?

Probably not. Women's soccer in the US doesn't feel like there's a need to Europeanize their names, unless they got bought by a European club. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 10/22/2020 at 11:11 PM, Digby said:

if after 15 years you decide your team isn’t recognizable as the local soccer team without an “FC” in it, I’m not sure you can come back from that.

Who said that?

Sometimes teams just like the sound of it.  And there’s nothing wrong with that. 

On 10/23/2020 at 4:38 PM, BryanSmalls said:

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned in the thread, but would the Houston Dash (NWSL) also rebrand as well since their logo is similar to the Dynamo?

I was telling a friend on Saturday night, I bet with the "HD" word mark logo, it would be easier to have same logo for both teams in marketing.  use the HD logo on billboards and advertise for both teams.

12 minutes ago, docbrass said:

I was telling a friend on Saturday night, I bet with the "HD" word mark logo, it would be easier to have same logo for both teams in marketing.  use the HD logo on billboards and advertise for both teams.

Not sure if anything's changed, but it used to be that that sort of thing wasn't permitted, due to MLS and NWSL being separate concerns and (I think primarily) the competing Nike and Adidas deals would not allow for shared assets -- which is why we have the Dash, Pride, Thorns etc. to begin with.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 10/26/2020 at 12:09 PM, Digby said:

Not sure if anything's changed, but it used to be that that sort of thing wasn't permitted, due to MLS and NWSL being separate concerns and (I think primarily) the competing Nike and Adidas deals would not allow for shared assets -- which is why we have the Dash, Pride, Thorns etc. to begin with.

Right, though I don't think the apparel brands have much to do with it. I think it's mostly due to the fact that MLS owns all of the teams and their associated trademarks. I would assume that prohibits and investor-operator of a MLS team — what most people would refer to as an "owner"  — from co-mingling brands with NWSL teams they may own in their entirety. 

21 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Right, though I don't think the apparel brands have much to do with it. I think it's mostly due to the fact that MLS owns all of the teams and their associated trademarks. I would assume that prohibits and investor-operator of a MLS team — what most people would refer to as an "owner"  — from co-mingling brands with NASL teams they may own in their entirety. 

Hell, last time I checked, Major League Soccer owned the trademarks for Bethlehem Steel FC, Lehigh Valley Steel FC, Loudoun United, the logo Nashville Soccer Club used in USL, North Texas Soccer Club, the Seattle Sounders A-League leaping orca mark, and the Seattle Sounders NASL 1974-82 era mark.

By the looks of things, Houston's rebrand looks to be black-heavy. What a shame. This almost certainly means that their home kit will be all black with orange trim and the away one being all white. This is MLS we are talking about.

I hope I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, JayMac said:

By the looks of things, Houston's rebrand looks to be black-heavy. What a shame. This almost certainly means that their home kit will be all black with orange trim and the away one being all white. This is MLS we are talking about.

I hope I'm wrong.

I wouldn't jump to this conclusion. From what we've seen so far, the crest is predominantly black with an orange outline. Stick that on a black jersey and it disappears.

On 10/23/2020 at 5:38 PM, BryanSmalls said:

Houston Dash also confirmed unveiling new identity on Tuesday. I updated the thread topic name.

More details below. Source

Almost 15 years after the club was founded, the Houston Dynamo and Houston Dash are expected to enter 2021 with new looks. The club is teasing a new identity and philosophy, with an announcement scheduled for Tuesday, November 17.

The club will make the announcement via video presentation on HoldItDownFC.com, and the presentation will be hosted by former Dynamo midfielder Stu Holden. Club president John Walker and chief marketing officer Katie Scallan will be part of the presentation, as will two of the club's owners, Gabriel Brener and James Harden.

After the announcement, the club will allow supporters to look through the their new direction through an interactive digital experience at HoldItDownFC.com.

Archived