Houston Dynamo (MLS) & Houston Dash (NWSL) rebranding.

BrySmalls

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a2I3gVKm.jpg   ukHvGYxm.jpg

On a related note, Katie Scallan and the Houston Dynamo FC marketing staff must love the fact that the unveiling of the club's rebrand is going to be eclipsed by news that Dynamo minority owner James Harden has rejected a Houston Rockets contract extension offer worth an NBA record $50 million a season in the hopes of engineering a trade to the Brooklyn Nets. From "turned it down pdq" to holditdownfc.com in less than 24 hours.      

That might be the best combination as part of a set, in terms of MLS/NWSL sibling clubs, that I've seen. Both are solid B+ level for me, not tremendously inspiring but competently done and fairly distinctive in their respective leagues. (Really don't like the addition of "FC" to the name though.)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

So, the marketing-speak is out...

a2I3gVKm.jpg

* The six-sided crest is an allusion to the club having played its first season in Houston in 2006, as well as a nod to the six wards that once comprised the city.
* The fact that the H and D interlock is meant to signify the city and club being interconnected.
* The channels within the letters represent Houston's bayous.
* The lightning bolt is emblematic of Houston being the "energy capital of the world".

ukHvGYxm.jpg

* The hexagon is the "strongest shape in nature" and its six sides are a nod to the city's historic six wards.
* The H stands for "H-Town" and the blue channels represent the "Bayou City".
* The star signifies "Space City's spirit of innovation".

Apparently, a club bandana will be replacing a scarf as the traditional support accessory in Houston. The thinking is that while scarves, due to vagaries of weather, are a staple clothing item in many European nations where the roots of soccer were established, Houston is not a city where the climate is typically cold. So, enter the club bandana. Houston Dynamo FC executives took inspiration from supporters who already wear bandanas as accessories at matches and the club envisions even more fans adopting the practice, as well as those who will wear them as hair-ties, sport them as pocket squares with a blazer, have them hanging out of their back pockets, and use them as rally towels. We shall see whether that takes off.   

4 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

a2I3gVKm.jpg   ukHvGYxm.jpg

Move the word mark outside of the hexagon, to the bottom. Then leave the monogram to stand alone. Works better that way IMO. Just look at it below...

Maybe recolor one of the letters to Space City Blue so it’s more legible? 

NYCdog.png

FWIW, I like it. I think it would look better if the FC was left off and Dynamo was centered under Houston. A monogrammed approach looks way better than the generic logo it is replacing. An alternate logo emphasizing the lightening bolt could be a good addition. 

2 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

a2I3gVKm.jpg

* The six-sided crest is an allusion to the club having played its first season in Houston in 2006, as well as a nod to the six wards that once comprised the city.
* The fact that the H and D interlock is meant to signify the city and club being interconnected.
* The lightning bolt is emblematic of Houston being the "energy capital of the world".

ukHvGYxm.jpg

* The hexagon is the "strongest shape in nature" and its six sides are a nod to the city's historic six wards.

Apparently, a club bandana will be replacing a scarf as the traditional support accessory in Houston. The thinking is that while scarves, due to vagaries of weather, are a staple clothing item in many European nations where the roots of soccer were established, Houston is not a city where the climate is typically cold. So, enter the club bandana. Houston Dynamo FC executives took inspiration from supporters who already wear bandanas as accessories at matches and the club envisions even more fans adopting the practice, as well as those who will wear them as hair-ties, sport them as pocket squares with a blazer, have them hanging out of their back pockets, and use them as rally towels. We shall see whether that takes off.   

It's... fine.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

1 hour ago, NYCdog said:

Move the word mark outside of the hexagon, to the bottom. Then leave the monogram to stand alone. Works better that way IMO. Just look at it below...

Maybe recolor one of the letters to Space City Blue so it’s more legible? 

That looks fantastic. 

I'm holding out hope that this is the crest that appears on the jerseys. 

2 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

a2I3gVKm.jpg

ukHvGYxm.jpg

That's actually pretty tame marketing speak, could be worse. 

i like both crests, the Dash is the bigger upgrade for sure, but their last crest needed work. 

Ultimately, i like them both. Would love to see the Dynamo just use the monogram sans shield on a jersey and merch down the line. 
I think it will grow on fans so long as the on field product doesn't remain a dumpster fire. 

Also i like the idea of bandanas bc it's insanely hot down here and it kinda fits in with the Texas cowboy culture. 

This entire brand feels like a half measure. 

• I don't see the point of using three or four different block fonts that are all only slightly different from one another.
  • Why does Dynamo have an FC but the Dash do not?
  • The Dynamo's "HD" is much stronger mark than the Dash's "H."
  • If both teams use the initials "H-D," why not let both clubs use the Dynamo's interlocking mark (just in different colors)?
  • The Dynamo getting a bolt icon and the Dash getting a star icon doesn't make sense to me. Either give them both lightning bolts or reverse the icons. 
  • The Dash crest has no sense of motion or fluidity, which is a shame with a name like Dash. Maybe just rename them something else in that case? Houston Defense, Dynamite, Discovery, Diesel... idk. All make as much sense as Dash, tbh. 

1 hour ago, GFB said:

This entire brand feels like a half measure. 

• I don't see the point of using three or four different block fonts that are all only slightly different from one another.

This bugged me a little bit too -- I wonder if X percent of the logo package is required to be different than the other, due to legal arrangements with leagues/manufacturers.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

4 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

That looks fantastic. 

I'm holding out hope that this is the crest that appears on the jerseys. 

Yesssss! That looks awesome to me.  I did some edits without the wordmarks and resized it in a similar fashion. 

c4Efj15.png?1

Love the Dash Logo and it's orange/blue color mix and look! :love:

Much more visually appealing to me than the not very legible Dynamo monogram (it also lacks the blue)

Love the hexagon shape in general - it's also very soccer related (goal nets, soccer balls before they became these tongue like melted together panel) - it's also not just another circle or shield ;)

Like that they basically go with the Hex as unifying theme across their pro clubs, youth development and all.

Archived