Davidson

Been a while since I posted anything here, but I thought I'd share this fun little test piece I made recently.

Im lucky, I get to work in sports through the animation work I do, but it means I don't get to do a whole bunch of logo work these days.

in response to the Washington rebrand, I was interested in the Redwolves mascot name. It gave me an idea for a concept that sought to source a little of the old visual equity without a specific reference to native people. I understand they likely want a clean break from this, but this was just a thought experiment. My rationale is that there are multiple pirates and crossed swords in the league, why not multiple arrow heads?

Anyway, the aim was to make a fun rebrand video (I'd love to get back into more sports branding in that regard) and feature a quick logo design.

My uniform is terrible, so anyone who wants to take a crack at making a better version, go ahead. If I get time, Ill retexture the player with a better design.

Link to the associated video posted to twitter below. Hope you like it.

5d1335e21d69cf57886b46803c25b48c.png

Ehn3aoOXYAA2QyF?format=jpg&name=medium

Ehn3anfX0AAUzjH?format=jpg&name=mediumEhn3an_WAAAFWAA?format=jpg&name=medium

Ehn3anuWkAEazTw?format=jpg&name=medium

I really like the wolf design. Very sharp, has a strong shape while clearly communicating what it is without being busy.

I would reconsider the arrow / spear being integrated into the design, for two reasons:

• I think WFT will intentionally make a clean break from Native American imagery / branding
  • I'm not sure the combination of wolf and weapon make sense
    • Is the arrowhead / spear tip chasing the wolf? Is the wolf being hunted? Is the wolf wielding the arrowhead / spear?
      • The combo seems a little forced here, if you feel strongly about making a connection the old brand, maybe look for a way to do so more subtetly?
    • And I say the above with full awareness that the world of sports logos is filled with nonsensical anthropomorphic animals wearing shirts, hats, and wielding items

On 9/11/2020 at 11:53 AM, davidson said:

Been a while since I posted anything here, but I thought I'd share this fun little test piece I made recently.

Im lucky, I get to work in sports through the animation work I do, but it means I don't get to do a whole bunch of logo work these days.

in response to the Washington rebrand, I was interested in the Redwolves mascot name. It gave me an idea for a concept that sought to source a little of the old visual equity without a specific reference to native people. I understand they likely want a clean break from this, but this was just a thought experiment. My rationale is that there are multiple pirates and crossed swords in the league, why not multiple arrow heads?

Anyway, the aim was to make a fun rebrand video (I'd love to get back into more sports branding in that regard) and feature a quick logo design.

My uniform is terrible, so anyone who wants to take a crack at making a better version, go ahead. If I get time, Ill retexture the player with a better design.

Link to the associated video posted to twitter below. Hope you like it.

5d1335e21d69cf57886b46803c25b48c.png

Ehn3aoOXYAA2QyF?format=jpg&name=medium

Ehn3anfX0AAUzjH?format=jpg&name=mediumEhn3an_WAAAFWAA?format=jpg&name=medium

Ehn3anuWkAEazTw?format=jpg&name=medium

Personally, I really like the logo and even the uniform. Maybe it's not perfect but it is sharp and modern while retaining some of the traditional elements. That presentation video is something else. Very, very impressive IMO. 

Archived