Ideal NHL Series by NoE38 Concepts (Vegas up 3/8)

NoE38_Concepts

Hey Everyone, this is my latest concept series, my Ideal NHL Series! Basically, this is what the NHL would look like if I had total control over everything jersey-related.

To make this a little tougher for myself, Every single jersey must have at least one more or less noticeable change made to it.

Each team will have 4 jerseys: Home, Away, Heritage, and Breakout. The home and away jerseys are the main jerseys in the set, to be worn for the majority of games. The Heritage jerseys pay tribute to either an earlier era in the team's history, a defunct/historic team in the area. Breakout jerseys are brand-new designs never before worn by the team.

For this series, I will be going alphabetically by team name (Starting with Colorado, ending with the Wild).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's kick this off with the Avs!

I'm honestly not the biggest fan of the CCM/Adidas era jerseys and the A logo, so I decided to go in a new direction with the home and away. The two jerseys' arms feature burgundy and blue separated by mountainous white line, and a simple matching hem stripe. I personally love the C logo by itself, so I put that front and centre.

xWZ2bRl.png

The heritage jersey features a simplified version of the jerseys worn when Colorado won the cup in '01. Navy blue was used on the numbers and pants instead of black. The breakout jersey features a striping pattern inspired by the logo, and the diagonal striping creates a mountain shape when viewed from the side.

4dBcNjn.png

What do you think? C&C is appreciated!

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

• NoE38_Concepts changed the title to Ideal NHL Series by NoE38 Concepts (Colorado up)

Looks great to me! I'm not a fan of the 'A' logo either; the idea of it is good, and there's a lot of history behind it, but it is looking dated now. I would probably go with a blue helmet for the home jersey, but I'm glad you're focusing on the burgundy and lighter blue for the home and away jerseys; I definitely think that's where the Avs should be heading. Their current use of black is unnecessarily '90s, so I like that you've replaced it with navy on the heritage and breakout. Taking the striping from the logo for the breakout jersey is a great idea, too! Not sure I'd want to see it on the everyday uniforms, but it's perfect for an alternate.

A minor nitpick: you wrote, "The breakout jersey features a simplified version of the jerseys worn when Colorado won the cup in '01," but I think you meant to write "heritage" in place of "breakout". No big deal, I figured it out, just had to read it twice.

The only other thing I would say is that I'd like to see the Bigfoot logo included somewhere, but I realize it's a weird one, so certainly a matter of taste. Overall, these are much better than the existing look!

On 9/13/2020 at 2:16 PM, jwinters said:

Looks great to me! I'm not a fan of the 'A' logo either; the idea of it is good, and there's a lot of history behind it, but it is looking dated now. I would probably go with a blue helmet for the home jersey, but I'm glad you're focusing on the burgundy and lighter blue for the home and away jerseys; I definitely think that's where the Avs should be heading. Their current use of black is unnecessarily '90s, so I like that you've replaced it with navy on the heritage and breakout. Taking the striping from the logo for the breakout jersey is a great idea, too! Not sure I'd want to see it on the everyday uniforms, but it's perfect for an alternate.

A minor nitpick: you wrote, "The breakout jersey features a simplified version of the jerseys worn when Colorado won the cup in '01," but I think you meant to write "heritage" in place of "breakout". No big deal, I figured it out, just had to read it twice.

The only other thing I would say is that I'd like to see the Bigfoot logo included somewhere, but I realize it's a weird one, so certainly a matter of taste. Overall, these are much better than the existing look!

Thanks for the feedback and catching that mixup! I personally didn't put the bigfoot logo anywhere since it's not one of my favourites.

Next team up in the series is Chicago!

I personally think the Blackhawks have the best home and away jersey set in the league, so I didn't change too much here. The only real changes are making the home jersey striping consistent between the arms and hem, and moving the tomahawk C back to the arms.

wGR5baN.png

The heritage jersey is inspired by the barberpole jersey of the 40s, but WAY more simplified. The breakout features a brand-new striping pattern taken from the colours of the feathers in the logo. I added the same pattern to the yoke to spice things up.

7Pa4tXs.png

Thoughts? C&C is appreciated!

spacer.png

• NoE38_Concepts changed the title to Ideal NHL Series by NoE38 Concepts (Chicago up 9/14)

I really don't think getting rid of the Avs' A logo was the right move. The 'C' isn't nearly as identifiable, and doesn't say "Avalanche" like the A logo. I think you should try their Rockies inspired alternate logo and see how that looks. The jerseys are still fantastic, though, and the heritage jersey is incredible.

The Hawks are also really solid. The heritage jersey is the best of the bunch, imo, but you managed to update the home/away and still make them feel like Hawks jerseys.

Good work, I'm excited for this series!

The next team up is the Blue Jackets!

While I think their jerseys are a little bland, I still think they're a great starting point for a new set.

For the home and away, I took an American Flag-like pattern, chevronized it, and placed it on a sleeve-length yoke. Like the current jerseys, the home is all blue, and the away has a contrasting blue sleeve-length yoke.

BYeEafF.png

The heritage is inspired by the Columbus Checkers, the city's first professional hockey team, and put in the colour scheme of the current alt. The breakout is a simplification/tribute to the Columbus Chill, whose jerseys are the epitome of 90s design.

jJ9P2Dt.png

spacer.png

• NoE38_Concepts changed the title to Ideal NHL Series by NoE38 Concepts (Columbus up 9/16)

I don't think the Avalanche concept is bad, I just prefer what they have now.

The other two knock it out the park and I wish both teams used them.  Managing to improve the Blackhawks uniforms is no small feat but you've done it.  I love the recolored Tomahawk patch.

On 9/16/2020 at 3:10 PM, Morgan33 said:

I don't think the Avalanche concept is bad, I just prefer what they have now.

The other two knock it out the park and I wish both teams used them.  Managing to improve the Blackhawks uniforms is no small feat but you've done it.  I love the recolored Tomahawk patch.

Definitely understand that for the Avs. Their look is definitely good, I just felt a different direction was better. Thanks for the feedback!

Next team up are the Blues!

St. Louis definitely has one of the better sets in the league. Their home and away are some of my favourites in the league, so I didn't wanna tread too far from that. The tweaks I made include fixing the inconsistency between the yoke and arm/hem striping, and changing the dark blue cuffs/hem on the away to the royal blue. I kept the white numbers because (unpopular opinion?) I think they look much better than the yellow ones.

w3EX9Mv.png

Their winter classic jersey is an absolute beauty as well, so I based the heritage jersey off of it. Changes include switching the colours to match the home and away, and give the logo the same treatment as the numbers to make the whole jersey consistent. The breakout jersey features a new striping pattern, and a sublimated Gateway Arch chest stripe.

1m8Rrem.png

What are your thoughts? C&C is appreciated!

spacer.png

• NoE38_Concepts changed the title to Ideal NHL Series by NoE38 Concepts (St. Louis up 9/18)

The breakout jersey looks fantastic, I love the sublimated arch, the inclusion of Royal and the simplification of the roundel.  The home and road are pretty similar to what they have now but I like how there's no longer gaps between the striping.

Next team up are the Bruins!

Overall, I'm pretty big on the Bruins' current set, though there's still some things I would change. First, I matched the yoke striping to have a gap, similar to the arm and hem stripes. On the away, I got rid of the black cuffs, and switched the black and yellow on the arm/hem stripes. I also updated the number outlines to match what they have pre-Reebok, and got rid of outlines on the name.

tN6JJUM.png

For the heritage jersey, I made a yellow version of the 1932-34 jerseys, and used a logo-inspired striping pattern on the breakout.

u2dz9nl.png

spacer.png

• NoE38_Concepts changed the title to Ideal NHL Series by NoE38 Concepts (Boston up 9/25)

If there's no C&C, I'll move on.

Next team up is Montréal. Their uniforms (more so the home) are iconic, so I didn't want to mess with them too much. For the Home and away, I took the average size of the two striping patterns, then replaced the actual stripes with those. I also added the hem stripes to the arms on the away, to make it more consistent.

nbF2DFU.png

The heritage jersey is a mishmash of all the 100th anniversary jerseys the Habs wore in 2009, while the Breakout is a blue version of the home jersey, which I really hope they actually adopt someday.

mBZrTi4.png

spacer.png

• NoE38_Concepts changed the title to Ideal NHL Series by NoE38 Concepts (Montreal up 9/30)
34 minutes ago, sparky said:

I like the small but effective change of putting the stripes on the sleeves of the Habs' away unis 👍.

Also, they'd look great in that blue alt!

Really good series.

Thanks sparky!

Next up is the CCSLC's most controversial team, the Vancouver Canucks! 

I personally think that their current set is the best they've ever looked, and I'm actually a big fan of the Orca logo, so I decided to keep things fairly close to what they have now. The only real changes to the home and away are adding a V to the arm stripes like their inaugural jerseys, and making the blue go down to the cuffs and hem on the away.

Xxdz0NK.png

The alternate is an attempted merger at all the other eras of Canucks uniform history. The logo and colours are from the flying V era, the striping pattern is from the inaugural jerseys, and the striping layout is from the late 90s-early 2000s era jerseys. The Breakout jersey is a green version of the home with a yoke added, and the Johnny Canuck V logo on the front.

9zLFXjX.png

spacer.png

• NoE38_Concepts changed the title to Ideal NHL Series by NoE38 Concepts (Vancouver up 10/3)

Just catching this thread, so I'll give my input on every team so far.

Avs: These are awesome. Would consider burgundy pants for home and road, but that's it. 

Blackhawks: Again, awesome. I prefer a little more red on the road, but that's my only complaint. 

Jackets: Love these! That number font is gorgeous! 

Blues: Perfect! 

Bruins: I would go back to yellow/black/yellow for the road stripes, otherwise it gets a bit too dark. And switching up the sock stripes to match the jersey stripes would look better. Loving these overall, though!

Canadiens: Amazing!

Canucks: Perfect!

Great series, will be following! Love the ideas and presentation! All my critiques are small things, your design style is fantastic. Keep it up! 

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I'll probably go back and rework jerseys once I've finished the whole league.

The next team up are the Capitals!

I haven't been a super huge fan of any of Washington's jersey designs, so I created a brand new one for this. A pattern inspired by the DC flag is used on the arms, shoulders, and hem, and the Weagle is front and centre.

XuAL3B5.png

The heritage jersey is a modernized blue version of the original jerseys, and the breakout jersey is full-on DC pride, the same pattern as the home and away, but red and white only.

DDnWSxC.png

Thoughts? C&C is appreciated1

spacer.png

• NoE38_Concepts changed the title to Ideal NHL Series by NoE38 Concepts (Washington up 10/8)

This Capitals set is excellent; I can't recall seeing a better concept for them! My only idea would be to put the Winter Classic W logo somewhere (maybe as the fourth jersey logo? Or on the pants instead of the Weagle?) but that's certainly not necessary.

I also really like Boston's fourth jersey with the bear logo and the fun sleeve striping, but it could use a second hem stripe.

I'm not feeling Colorado here. Ditching the black is good and the current logo deserves to replaced but that standalone C logo is too simple to be the primary. Also the color blocking feels really top heavy. What if, instead of blue shoulders, you go with just a blue mountain stripe above the white one?

Anyways, good work here!

Archived