MLB 2021

SportsLogos.Net News

1 hour ago, insert name said:

Apparently from what I heard on SNY, this was a special occasion MLB typically doesn't allow. After the season, the Mets won't be allowed to wear black again till 2023 because MLB request uniform changes 2 years in advance. 

MLB doesn't have a 2 year advance notice requirement. It's simply that they must notify an intent to change or make a change before the end of March, I believe, and then submit said changes by the end of May to be incorporated into the rotation for the following season at the earliest. In this instance, without knowing the actual details, it would appear that, although, they were granted special permission to use them for 2021, they would have to follow proper protocol to use them for beyond 2021. Since the March deadline had passed (and thus nullifying the May deadline), the earliest they could bring them into the full-time rotation would be for 2023, as they technically are now "on the clock" for the 2022 deadlines.

Angels look great in the throwbacks this weekend, and with the correct navy batting helmets this year!!! Continues to confirm my theory that they'd look great in a navy alternate hat with red brim in their regular set. 

Honestly, I think it might be time for the Angels to do a big tweakening. Making navy crowns w/ red brims the primaries would be a good step, along with deleting the shadows and an “LA” interlocking logo.

I’m drifting back to “LA.” Heck, reveal a “Los Angeles” road uniform.

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Bringing this over from the regular season thread.  The Braves tweeted this before last night's game.

a88cd64b04233651797b10130e9f3501.gif

4 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Angels look great in the throwbacks this weekend, and with the correct navy batting helmets this year!!! Continues to confirm my theory that they'd look great in a navy alternate hat with red brim in their regular set. 

It’s weird; the Angels have worn thier current set for nearly 20 years, won a ring in it, and is the essential uniform of one of the greatest players of this generation. 

And yet? These throwbacks still somehow look more “right” than the current set does. I don’t know why. I think I blame Rod Carew for rocking them so well.

spacer.png

(Some minor differences in number font and sleeve stripe thickness, yes, but still)

6 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Bringing this over from the regular season thread.  The Braves tweeted this before last night's game.

Tremendous class by the Braves organization to acknowledge the Brewers and Milwaukee in their tribute to Hank Aaron. I'm actually disappointed that the Brewers didn't trot out a set of 1975 powder blues for this.

Who would have guessed that given their history that Milwaukee and Atlanta would turn out to be the friendliest of rivals?

11 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I totally get why they are doing that design, but it looks awful. I hope this is just some fashion jersey that doesn't see the field. Would make a lot more sense to just wear actual Milwaukee and Atlanta throwbacks.

8 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

It’s weird; the Angels have worn thier current set for nearly 20 years, won a ring in it, and is the essential uniform of one of the greatest players of this generation. 

And yet? These throwbacks still somehow look more “right” than the current set does. I don’t know why. I think I blame Rod Carew for rocking them so well.

spacer.png

(Some minor differences in number font and sleeve stripe thickness, yes, but still)

Wow, that's a huge number font. It almost looks centered. Was that some kind of 80s fad, or just something the Angels did? I almost recall the Royals once had giant numbers. The outline also touches itself, which is kind of odd. The Phillies numbers do something similar.

1 hour ago, Quillz said:

I totally get why they are doing that design, but it looks awful. I hope this is just some fashion jersey that doesn't see the field. Would make a lot more sense to just wear actual Milwaukee and Atlanta throwbacks.

Was there ever any indication something like this would actually be worn, and I missed it or something? Because my understanding is that it's just a Photoshop mashup of Aaron's jerseys presented to pay tribute to him. I'm fairly certain that image is based on an auction site's photo of his Brewers jersey.

32 minutes ago, Ted Cunningham said:

Was there ever any indication something like this would actually be worn, and I missed it or something? Because my understanding is that it's just a Photoshop mashup of Aaron's jerseys presented to pay tribute to him. I'm fairly certain that image is based on an auction site's photo of his Brewers jersey.

Yeah, that's all I get from that as well. Actually seems pretty clear.

3 hours ago, Quillz said:

Wow, that's a huge number font. It almost looks centered. Was that some kind of 80s fad, or just something the Angels did? I almost recall the Royals once had giant numbers. The outline also touches itself, which is kind of odd. The Phillies numbers do something similar.

Centered, no. It's just the angle of the photo. Look at the g in Angels. These numbers aren't below it. That would be centered.

2 hours ago, Quillz said:

This is a bit of a guess, but maybe certain teams reduced their number and font sizes as TV screens got bigger and better.

I noticed that in the 2000s, when HDTV became more widespread, several NBA teams drastically reduced the size of their NOB text.

12 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

spacer.png

I’ve come around quite a bit on the Angels in red vs navy. While I still think that a navy cap with a red brim would look fantastic for them, I’ve grown to appreciate that they’ve made red their primary and have stuck with it and haven’t waffled between that and navy like most navy/red teams do. They’re the only fully red team in the AL, and it’s such a nice contrast to their NL neighbors who use blue with just a touch of red. IMO, the Angels are a few tweaks (mostly just getting rid of some of the redundancy with that halo A logo) away from being truly iconic. 

True, but I think the shine of ‘02 has worn off a lot. The red jersey is a nightmare, while the shadowing on all jerseys is still terrible. Biting the bullet and making a “Los Angeles” road uniform would also be a good move (debut it at Dodger Stadium for the lolz). 

At the very least, a classic-style alternate cap would be welcome.

If Angels kept the current font, but made it propercase rather than all uppercase, would that be a case of "trying to have the best of both worlds = the best of neither" or might it work?  And of course, a navy-crowned cap, even if only on the road.

3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

True, but I think the shine of ‘02 has worn off a lot. The red jersey is a nightmare, while the shadowing on all jerseys is still terrible. Biting the bullet and making a “Los Angeles” road uniform would also be a good move (debut it at Dodger Stadium for the lolz). 

At the very least, a classic-style alternate cap would be welcome.

Might be a good time for an alternate hat with a modern LA (somehow) navy cap with a silver halo around the squatchee/button. Pretty sure it'd sell pretty well. 

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

And of course, a navy-crowned cap, even if only on the road.

And make the halo gold. (I assume we would want a red bill as well.)

yMbHwwv.jpg

They did it in 2011.

rf4zEjL.jpg

1 hour ago, Survival79 said:

And make the halo gold. (I assume we would want a red bill as well.)

yMbHwwv.jpg

They did it in 2011.

rf4zEjL.jpg

As much as I love the navy hat (I'm a lifelong Angels fan from Orange County) losing the red would feel sacrilegious. I could deal with home/away hats or a navy alt though.

and you're 100% right about making the gold halo a permanent fixture. It looks better and it's how they did it back in the day

back from vacay and just wanted to chime in with some mets-in-black thoughts.

i was surprised how much i liked it. for one night a week, it feels special. and provided that's how it stays, i think it works. the return of the white pants was a nice surprise, and i was also happy to see so many blue undersleeves. think that really enhances things.

not that this should completely dictate what we see on the field, but the black "shirseys" are virtually sold out at the stadium. i took my family to the game yesterday and the current players are basically cleaned out at the main team stores.