MLB 2021

SportsLogos.Net News

37 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

MLB doesn't have the same standards that the NFL does - why do we think the Mets would have had to receive some sort of waiver or special treatment?

i think because the working assumption (and definitely correct me if i'm wrong) is that usually changes have to be in around the fall to make the style guide, right? so if we assume the return of the black unis weren't planned for 2021 (and cohen crowdsourcing it at least implies it wasn't, although that might not be the case), then MLB would have had to give the mets an exemption to get them ready for this year. 

The addition of a jersey probably doesn't have nearly the same rules around it as the change of anything that's primary (like the logo, cap, or jersey.)

If it's just a totally new jersey, then they don't have to pull the stock or mark-down anything that's already existing at retail or in marketing materials, and don't have to update the logo in the 5 million places it's used.   Hell - teams wear their BPs in games sometimes.  I don't think MLB cares about the lack of lead time for the  black jersey - in fact, they probably support it.

Yeah, I don't think the deadlines for additions are quite what we imagine them to be.

I know from my own experience working with the Brewers that special-event uniforms (like throwbacks) aren't necessarily limited to any specific deadline; teams can add or change them during the same season.  Late changes may affect their ability to sell merchandise, but MLB doesn't impose their own restrictions.  And if the Mets want to be able to sell the old black jerseys that Majestic already has all the specs for, seems that simplifies a pretty large part of the new-jersey process.

The timeline or deadline requirements have never been clear to me, which is why I was wondering if MLB was making an exception for Cohen or simply didn't care in this instance.

But by when would Cleveland need to have all of their design concepts approved for the 2022 season?

19 hours ago, BBTV said:

The addition of a jersey probably doesn't have nearly the same rules around it as the change of anything that's primary (like the logo, cap, or jersey.)

If it's just a totally new jersey, then they don't have to pull the stock or mark-down anything that's already existing at retail or in marketing materials, and don't have to update the logo in the 5 million places it's used.   Hell - teams wear their BPs in games sometimes.  I don't think MLB cares about the lack of lead time for the  black jersey - in fact, they probably support it.

19 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, I don't think the deadlines for additions are quite what we imagine them to be.

I know from my own experience working with the Brewers that special-event uniforms (like throwbacks) aren't necessarily limited to any specific deadline; teams can add or change them during the same season.  Late changes may affect their ability to sell merchandise, but MLB doesn't impose their own restrictions.  And if the Mets want to be able to sell the old black jerseys that Majestic already has all the specs for, seems that simplifies a pretty large part of the new-jersey process.

thanks for the thoughts/insight, guys! you're both probably right on the mark. 

No worries.  It's a gray area, since the leagues don't like to talk about the details of their process. 

Hell, we wouldn't even know the NFL's five-year minimum for uniforms existed, if an owner hadn't inadvertently spilled the beans in an interview. 

On 1/18/2021 at 8:53 PM, rwaters1221 said:

Saw this jersey today on the Twins Twitter page and didn't recognize this jersey. It is a Majestic brand and not Nike so not sure if it was just for the photo op. I thought I heard a rumour floating around that the Twins were bringing back the "M" hat, could this be a new Jersey to go with it?

spacer.png

I'm more focused on the fact that that Puerto Rican baseball academy is straight-up stealing the US's World Baseball Classic logo.

On 1/19/2021 at 2:05 PM, ProfessorBigShots said:

This might be blasphemy but I would like to see the normal M hat with gold trim around the logo like the alternate hats. Specifically wear it with the navy home uniform to really drive in the idea that its every era of Twins baseball on 1 uniform.

Just wear the Homerdome set as one weeknight alt.

On 1/20/2021 at 1:20 PM, QCS said:

Man, what a joke. I can't believe they got rid of that garbage only to bring it back again. A joke jersey for a joke franchise.

The White Sox have worn the 80's throwbacks for once a week without it becoming the new normal.   Once a week is fine.

After thinking about it today... the Braves are going to have a ton of jersey patches this year. The all star patch, 150 seasons patch, Neikro and Aaron memorials... could become cluttered if they don’t do it right

6 hours ago, shstpt1 said:

After thinking about it today... the Braves are going to have a ton of jersey patches this year. The all star patch, 150 seasons patch, Neikro and Aaron memorials... could become cluttered if they don’t do it right

Well, they could solve one problem by doing one memorial patch that commemorates Niekro and Aaron. They wouldn't be the first team to do that.

10 hours ago, shstpt1 said:

Saw a suggestion on Twitter that they should just rename the team the Hammers. Change the tomahawk to a hammer, and honor Aaron. So that's one solution. ;)

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

Change the tomahawk to a hammer

I think we need to think about this for a while before embracing it. A regular nail hammer would look really stupid. Purdue already has the sledge hammer look for its baseball team.

Maybe just a script Hammers. 

6 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I think we need to think about this for a while before embracing it. A regular nail hammer would look really stupid. Purdue already has the sledge hammer look for its baseball team.

Maybe just a script Hammers. 

I’m thinking something like blacksmith hammer would work. Similar shape as the tomahawk. 
https://www.google.com/search?q=blacksmith+hammer&safe=active&rlz=1CDGOYI_enUS729US729&hl=en-US&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjHxNmUwrLuAhUKVTABHQc1BsMQ_AUoAnoECAYQAg&biw=375&bih=553&dpr=2

2 minutes ago, bradsbeard said:

Yeah turn the handle into a bat (if allowed by MLB rules, as they have particular rules about logos looking like equipment) and that could work. 

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Yeah turn the handle into a bat (if allowed by MLB rules, as they have particular rules about logos looking like equipment) and that could work. 

I think that’s only baseballs, otherwise the cardinals would never have the birds and bat logo for so long

5 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

@mcrosby already did something like that.

QcgyHBx.png

Ignoring the color scheme at the “ATL” (which isn’t to everybody’s taste), it’s got the bones of a fantastic update.

How cool would this look be in the Braves' '70s blue and red?

spacer.png

• CS85 locked this topic
  • CS85 unlocked this topic
  • CS85 locked and unlocked this topic