MLB 2021

SportsLogos.Net News

26 minutes ago, BBTV said:

It might not be the worst idea if Nike introduced "jogger" style pants for baseball - especially if it gets rid of the pajama look.  There's no non-dorky middle ground between blousing high or wearing down by the shoes.

Joggers look too much like knickers that were worn back in the 1800’s and you know there will be players who don’t like them and make them make the regular pajama pants. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

So what’s the story behind this? It’s before my time here obviously...

A guy was on this board telling us how players of the early 80s were "having the time of their lives" playing in pullover/sansabelt uniforms and therefore all of MLB should go back to the early 80s look, no questions asked. In his mind no uniform was better than the 80s Mariners. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

20 hours ago, WSU151 said:

A guy was on this board telling us how players of the early 80s were "having the time of their lives" playing in pullover/sansabelt uniforms and therefore all of MLB should go back to the early 80s look, no questions asked. In his mind no uniform was better than the 80s Mariners. 

Oh wow. I remember him. If he were commissioner of baseball, buttons and belts would be outlawed.

15 hours ago, JayMac said:

Oh wow. I remember him. If he were commissioner of baseball, buttons and belts would be outlawed.

It's such an oddly specific hill on which to die. And I think it's funny that he makes fun of someone talking about their "paps" playing ball in " '61" in flannel (which is not long before the era of his beloved sansabelt look). Arguing for a look that is fairly singular to one era from 40+ years ago because (ostensibly) it was what was in when he was a kid? It's pretty hypocritcal.

7 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I still think pullovers should make a comeback

Avoid The Office GIF

To be clear, this is certainly a valid point. It's not my aesthetic, but it is for others. I just think making it a singular definition of how one views an entire sport's aesthetic (or sports aesthetics, generally?), and going out of one's way to criticize anything that isn't it, is strange.

20 minutes ago, MNtwins3 said:

I think some teams could pull it off, same way I think some teams should have vests

They're not for every team, but definitely some should do it

Honestly, I always thought/still think one team should’ve gone completely pullovers when Nike took over.

12 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Honestly, I always thought/still think one team should’ve gone completely pullovers when Nike took over.

Nike hasn't really done anything though.  They're just slapping swooshes on Majestic jerseys.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

hate to pile on here, but there's really no reason not to go full pullover (or at the very least, two-button). full button-down jerseys are one of those things that i love about a baseball uniform that is also completely unnecessary and probably creates more problems than it's worth. 

sig2024.png

I thought the original run of Players' Weekend unis worked great for this purpose. Some (a lot) of individual team design decisions were dicey, and the hats were bad, but functionally it was a decent proof of concept that pullovers can look good in the modern game. Doesn't need to be a mandate for everyone or anything. But like, maybe the Yankees will always do the classic button-downs, but why wouldn't something like the D-Backs be a better fit on a pullover template?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

15 minutes ago, insert name said:

Pullovers don't really work in todays fashion where jersey's are still a little more loose.

Basically all jerseys outside baseball are pullovers, so I’m going to have to disagree with your point here.

1 hour ago, Brian E said:

hate to pile on here, but there's really no reason not to go full pullover (or at the very least, two-button). full button-down jerseys are one of those things that i love about a baseball uniform that is also completely unnecessary and probably creates more problems than it's worth. 

Pullovers tend(ed) to rely on sleeve cuffs and collars moreso than button-downs...

A v-neck pullover jersey with no cuffs or collar trim would look pretty ugly and cheap...so that's really the reason why there hasn't been a massive switch. 

This admittedly looks pretty good (the blue undershirt and the 80s bear help) but it only works because of the added trim elements.

Image result for 1987 cubs

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived