MLB 2021

SportsLogos.Net News

6 hours ago, BBTV said:

Yeah I forget the exact story but it was something like someone from MLB called them and mentioned that their jersey script has been getting fatter over the years and they needed to standardize it like it is now.

It basically went from chainstitching on a thick white patch, to super-fat chainstitching on a patch, to a new chainstitching pattern on a backing just wide enough to provide for the outline (and on the gray jersey, the outer edge of the backing is actually gray now so that the white outline doesn't get as thick as it used to be.

2006:

2753_shane_victorino_.jpg

2017:

$_12.JPG_5c132ad4694113.14807700.jpg

$_57.JPG_5e1522e8467f16.56152377.jpg

I've always liked the Phillies current set and appreciate that it hasn't changed much over the last 29 years or whatever it's been. I wasn't aware that there had been some inconsistencies in the thickness of the script, but among those photos you've supplied I think that the 2019 version easily looks the best. It's the combination of the thinner letters and less prominent white outline.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a '96, which you can see is basically identical to the '06.  It's crazy that they were so consistent for so long and then within only a couple of years it went completely off the rails.

That the P overlaps the h annoys me more than words can express.

il_1588xN.2095378576_ozts.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The 1996 version most closely resembles the mental picture I've always had in my head. But I still prefer the 2019 adjustments. I just have a thing about white outlines and think they tend to do more harm than good, especially when they're too bold.

This is a great look in my opinion, marred most of all by the blue compression sleeves:

bryce-harper-5.jpg

They should have adjusted (or eliminated) the white on the sleeve to match the reduction around the script.

IMO the grey outline is really annoying, but admittedly that's something that probably only I notice.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, Marlins93 said:

The 1996 version most closely resembles the mental picture I've always had in my head. But I still prefer the 2019 adjustments. I just have a thing about white outlines and think they tend to do more harm than good, especially when they're too bold.

This is a great look in my opinion, marred most of all by the blue compression sleeves:

bryce-harper-5.jpg

I really love road uniforms that also put an emphasis on white

See: Phillies, White Sox, Yankees, Reds, Royals, Blue Jays

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

7 minutes ago, Michael Bolton said:

Padres* were like, "nah, we'll pass on the BS, thanks."

Considering what happened when they went along with it last year, it's not surprising.

https://ballparkdigest.com/2020/02/13/padres-mostly-shelving-controversial-spring-training-hat/

Padres-spring-training-hat.jpg

2 hours ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

Baltimore's is bad. It looks like an oriole tried to clone itself and things didn't go  right. "DUH, I HIT DA BWALL NOW!"

The only ones I (kinda) like area Arizona, Houston, and Seattle. 

Cincinnati Reds to Wear #8 Patch in Memory of Joe Morgan

February 22, 2021 - 16:27 PM

The Cincinnati Reds today announced they would be wearing a memorial patch in 2021 in memory of Hall of Famer and two-time National League MVP Award winner Joe Morgan. Cincinnati will wear a black circle with Morgan’s number 8 in white on the right sleeve of each of their jerseys

Read More...

On 2/20/2021 at 7:02 PM, Marlins93 said:

bryce-harper-5.jpg

This is a clean look, but I remember even in the early '90s feeling like the move to this look was a downgrade from the '70s-'80s maroon and powder blue. The biggest downgrade was the hat. I know this P is a classic look, but the '70s P, with the baseball in the design, has much more character.

Maybe that's an unpopular opinion. Not sure. 

7 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

This is a clean look, but I remember even in the early '90s feeling like the move to this look was a downgrade from the '70s-'80s maroon and powder blue. The biggest downgrade was the hat. I know this P is a classic look, but the '70s P, with the baseball in the design, has much more character.

I thought the change in the 90s was pretty cool...tbf I was 12 or so and thought all new uniform changes were pretty cool. There was an episode of Boy Meets World where Ben Savage wore a "new" Phillies jersey and hat and I thought it was a nice new jersey.  

Class Pre-Union - Boy Meets World Image (19059726) - Fanpop

However, nearly 30 years later, I find myself liking the maroon more and more, but don't mind the look they have. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

6 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I think as of right now, I prefer the current logo set, while obviously still wanting them to go back to maroon & powder.

However, if they updated the swirly P logo a la the Brewers, Blue Jays, and Astros to fit a more modern identity, that could probably change my mind.

I think the Phillies are missing a big opportunity by not using maroon full time. No other team in the Big 4 leagues wears maroon and only three teams are close (Avalanche, Cavaliers, and WFT). The Phillies could easily be known across sports for wearing maroon.

They should also wear grey roads, this looks so much better than the powder blues

53045042-850x560.jpeg

Archived