MLB 2021

SportsLogos.Net News

On 3/7/2021 at 3:22 PM, NicDB said:

MLB should have the NFL's system and vice versa. The Super Bowl being at a predetermined site means the logos miss out on all the localized imagery that made them so distinct.

Sorry but I'm not sure I get what you're saying here and it's bugging me. Doesn't the Super Bowl being at a predetermined site mean they do get all the distinct/localized imagery? And do you want localized imagery in the World Series logos? 

Edit: Sorry, I get it now, you want the NFL and MLB to switch how they do their logos... guess I needed to finish my coffee before processing it.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Sorry but I'm not sure I get what you're saying here and it's bugging me. Doesn't the Super Bowl being at a predetermined site mean they do get all the distinct/localized imagery? And do you want localized imagery in the World Series logos? 

He's saying the exact opposite of that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just now, SilverBullet1929 said:

But don't world series logos already lack distinct imagery? They're pretty generic.

But they change every year (often not for the best) and fail at building a brand.  The World Series could be a bigger brand than it is, and IMO having consistent imagery every year could help build that.  Just pick a very classy logo, change the year every season, and roll with it.  There's no need for annual world series logos - just take the 1996 version that was posted earlier, but maybe do it in silver and/or gold (or some slightly less garish combo than it was done in) and use it for the next 10 seasons.

I'm totally fine with the Super Bowl system too (as long as they figure out how to make the trophy not get confused for an I) but I'd also be fine with making city logos as long as they keep the jersey patches as-is.  Despite it being a "special event", it's not a "special event" - it's the annual championship game, which by definition occurs annually.  I'd rather a series of banners with lombardi trophies on them than a series with all different wacky logos.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

But they change every year (often not for the best) and fail at building a brand.  The World Series could be a bigger brand than it is, and IMO having consistent imagery every year could help build that.  Just pick a very classy logo, change the year every season, and roll with it.  There's no need for annual world series logos - just take the 1996 version that was posted earlier, but maybe do it in silver and/or gold (or some slightly less garish combo than it was done in) and use it for the next 10 seasons.

I'm totally fine with the Super Bowl system too (as long as they figure out how to make the trophy not get confused for an I) but I'd also be fine with making city logos as long as they keep the jersey patches as-is.  Despite it being a "special event", it's not a "special event" - it's the annual championship game, which by definition occurs annually.  I'd rather a series of banners with lombardi trophies on them than a series with all different wacky logos.

So kinda like this 1995 version?

h6y51f5aov95r90egzacxwg9o.gif

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

I liked this logo they they used for few years in the 80s, and I'm glad that New Era brought the font back for the Nats' Locker Room hats in 2019:

mgigrn77kdvze03oldfgbxnlt.gif

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

So I've noticed 3 additional Spring Training/Batting Practice/warmup tops for my team this spring not including the usual ST/BP jerseys. This means there are four options now? Anyone else notice this for other teams or anyone know where we can see a collection of these other options?

Here they are...

First here's their usual ST/BP (buttoned down blue jersey, cap logo on chest, black blue red sleeve piping, name and number on back)...

Here are two more in the same pic, black with blue sleeve and collar trim and the cap logo on the chest, and black with blue raglan sleeves with wordmark across chest...

And this final one needs a few pics to show the details, still couldn't find a clearer shot (solid blue tops, no piping or trim, no name or number on back, number on the left sleeve instead, the alternate "fish only" BP cap logo on the chest)

ImageImage

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

So I've noticed 3 additional Spring Training/Batting Practice/warmup tops for my team this spring not including the usual ST/BP jerseys. This means there are four options now? Anyone else notice this for other teams or anyone know where we can see a collection of these other options?

Here they are...

First here's their usual ST/BP (buttoned down blue jersey, cap logo on chest, black blue red sleeve piping, name and number on back)...

Here are two more in the same pic, black with blue sleeve and collar trim and the cap logo on the chest, and black with blue raglan sleeves with wordmark across chest...

And this final one needs a few pics to show the details, still couldn't find a clearer shot (solid blue tops, no piping or trim, no name or number on back, number on the left sleeve instead, the alternate "fish only" BP cap logo on the chest)

ImageImage

I think all teams have the actual jerseys and then various 'warm-up/training tops".

On 3/8/2021 at 1:05 PM, schultefamily4 said:

wonder why mlb has never put the opening day logo on a teams hat or jersey? Seems like they jump to the chance to slap a patch on a hat whenever they get a chance to

Sales probably wouldn't support it. They don't usually sell the event jerseys unless it's like the field of dreams game or the london series thing. Hats sometimes, but I think numbers just aren't there for a single game. 

Anubis.png

21 minutes ago, Anubis2051 said:

Sales probably wouldn't support it. They don't usually sell the event jerseys unless it's like the field of dreams game or the london series thing. Hats sometimes, but I think numbers just aren't there for a single game. 

I feel like this would be a cool in-stadium sales idea though. Like for the opening series teams could sells hats and jerseys with opening day patches on them. Would be special for some fans who travel hours and hundreds of miles away for the event. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

3 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

God the Marlins need a regular season alternate in that blue color

It's destined to happen. I suspect they want the rebranding to "settle" a bit before they start making changes like that. Or for Nike to fully take over.

On 3/2/2021 at 5:05 AM, Gothamite said:

I really don’t think MLB is worried about offending minor leagues.

No reason to offend for no reason.   Looking closer, though, it seems that other pictures make a new shape visible on the right, revealing that that is Africa and not Europe.   Seems like such an odd decision. 

On 3/5/2021 at 12:06 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I always felt that this was perfect:

1200px-1996_World_Series_logo.svg.png

The same way this was perfect:

200?cb=20170223123254

Though I'm noticing both of those are cursive writing in an increasingly cursive-less world. That probably has a lot to do with it, huh.

It is ironic that people want the MLB and NBA to do what they complain about the NFL doing, but since people have explained why it makes sense given the NFL's changing sites.

The 96 version looks good, although I obviously have plenty of nostalgia attached to it.   I also think underappreciated in this discussion is the whimsical update of that.   If it were in flat colors it would be better, but I like the angled text and font.

ea80g9tujchyx4ekanbhep3at.gif

But 2009 is really great to me too.   Red and blue should be the color scheme and gilding it with gold is a good look.   I love the color scheme of 2012, but something about the style reads Backyard Baseball to me.

900_-world_series-primary-2012.gif

spacer.png

spacer.png

2019 was easily my favorite set of postseason logos.

3064__mlb_world_series-primary-2019.png9649__mlb_world_series-special_event-20191.png

Replacing the gradients with the respective team colors is a brilliant move and I love how it turned out.

That said, my favorite World Series logo is this one:

7451__mlb_world_series-primary-2017.png

The gold makes it feel special and important, while the use of the trophy makes it immediately recognizable as the World Series. Also, I love playing around with the color of the batterman.

the user formerly known as cdclt

The "Fall Classic" era of World Series logos was also my favorite, though retroactively it does seem a little bit superfluous to actually have the phrase "Fall Classic" within the logo, it makes things a little cheesy. 2009 was my personal favorite of the bunch, though.

That said, I wouldn't really want that era of logos to come back now, if that makes sense. I've come to like standardized logos for the championship games more over the years, so if MLB went with an updated version of the 90's World Series logo, that would be nice. It is unfortunate that we are in an increasingly cursive-less world though, with that and the NBA Finals logo.

All I know is: I haven't really been a fan of any of the World Series logos since at least 2015 (with 2019 being a possible exception).

The mid-late '90s versions were my favorite.  A timeless design that could still be in use today.  Something about the script (like with the NBA Finals logo) makes it more grand than the ones that use non-script font.

I didn't remember the '95 version being gold, but with the modern patch technologies, it'd look great today.

330px-1995_World_Series_logo.svg.png

1993-world-series-patch_1024x1024.jpg?v=

5 hours ago, QCS said:

That said, my favorite World Series logo is this one:

7451__mlb_world_series-primary-2017.png

The gold makes it feel special and important, while the use of the trophy makes it immediately recognizable as the World Series. Also, I love playing around with the color of the batterman.

If the lettering was just navy without the gold pieces, I'd be glad to see this every year.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Archived