MLB 2021

SportsLogos.Net News

I hope the Mets black jerseys have the drop shadow like they did back in the day. Why? So my mind can say these are just throwbacks rather than bfbs unneeded jerseys.

KISSwall09.jpg

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back in Black: Mets Announce Black Uniforms Returning in 2021

March 30, 2021 - 00:56 AM

They’re doing it, they’re really doing it. The New York Mets will be back in black uniforms during the 2021 Major League Baseball season. But first, hands up… who here remembers how happy most everyone was when the New York Mets finally ditched all traces of black from their uniform

Read More...

23 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

Several years ago I never would have fathomed them bringing those eyesores back and yet here we are.

90’s/Early 2000’s aesthetics, once bashed far and wide by almost everyone, have finally seen a resurgence courtesy of nostalgia. It was bound to happen at some point, although these looks being brought back up make me realize just how bad they actually were.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

1 hour ago, SSmith48 said:

90’s/Early 2000’s aesthetics, once bashed far and wide by almost everyone, have finally seen a resurgence courtesy of nostalgia. It was bound to happen at some point, although these looks being brought back up make me realize just how bad they actually were.

What's hard for me to comprehend is having nostalgia for a look that is generally perceived to be ugly. It seems like the BFBS Mets jerseys have a cult following that I didn't know existed. I thought that those uniforms were fairly universally maligned when they were being worn in the 90s and 00s.

I have nostalgia for the Marlins 90s look, but that's because I think those sets were and still are gorgeous. 

1 hour ago, Marlins93 said:

What's hard for me to comprehend is having nostalgia for a look that is generally perceived to be ugly. It seems like the BFBS Mets jerseys have a cult following that I didn't know existed. I thought that those uniforms were fairly universally maligned when they were being worn in the 90s and 00s.

I have nostalgia for the Marlins 90s look, but that's because I think those sets were and still are gorgeous. 

This also reminds me when the Royals went through their BFBS phase...also awful in every way.

7 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

There is nostalgia for islanders fish sticks, and the mighty ducks wildwing sets. It was only matter of time before these which were mildly disliked compared to the other 2 which were universally loathed when they were released.

32 minutes ago, insert name said:

Now that the monkey’s paw curled its finger, I have this weird feeling it’s not gonna be the same black jersey they wore during the 2000s but instead some new look no one wanted. 

funny you should say that, because....

this is a quote from steve cohen's Q&A (one that hasn't gotten much coverage). when asked by wayne randazzo is he's surprised by the nostalgia for the black jerseys:

"no, not at all. i think people want to...another example of celebrating mets' history. the team performed well at that time, and people have fond memories of that and i'm happy to accommodate the fans who...you know, most of the fans want it. and the players want it. in fact, i'm going to have the players...ya know, we have some designs and i want the players to be involved in picking out the right design."

personally, i think the mets could improve on the original design. and it certainly sounds like they haven't even settled on a final design, which would be surprising. maybe nike and MLB pre-approved a few options and are just waiting on final sign off.

sig2024.png

There does seem something funny about "Hey we're going to get you new black uniforms to retail by the holidays" knowing full well Nike's new template will be released in Spring 2022.

Bit more of a cash grab than previously thought, unless the ready-by-holiday jerseys will be in the new template.   

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

12 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

What's hard for me to comprehend is having nostalgia for a look that is generally perceived to be ugly. It seems like the BFBS Mets jerseys have a cult following that I didn't know existed.

The 98-2001 teams were pretty good, and so I can see why there'd be nostalgia for them 20 years later. 

The Best Infield Ever On Cover Sports Illustrated September 6, 1999 Issue  Mets | eBay

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

16 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The 98-2001 teams were pretty good, and so I can see why there'd be nostalgia for them 20 years later. 

The Best Infield Ever On Cover Sports Illustrated September 6, 1999 Issue  Mets | eBay

The Marlins won the 2003 World Series in black alternates and yet I have no desire to bring them back in any regular or semi-regular capacity. A throwback weekend commemorating the championship, sure.

41 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

There does seem something funny about "Hey we're going to get you new black uniforms to retail by the holidays" knowing full well Nike's new template will be released in Spring 2022.

Bit more of a cash grab than previously thought, unless the ready-by-holiday jerseys will be in the new template.   

I have a feeling you might be on to something.  You wouldn't want to mass produce a jersey that would then have to be updated again for 2022.  Odds are a lot of the new Nike merch will be available for the holidays.

24 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

The Marlins won the 2003 World Series in black alternates and yet I have no desire to bring them back in any regular or semi-regular capacity. A throwback weekend commemorating the championship, sure.

dude, we get it. respect your opinion, but let's assume a variety of opinions exist beyond just your personal taste.

53 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

good read on the situation. i think the retail jerseys they'll release will be in the new template, thus the delay. also, regarding the nostalgia, we tend to think of the mets-in-black era as "piazza uniforms." but they really cut across two generations of mets fans: people like me that were kids/teens when the original black jersey was introduced in '98, and people that were kids/teens during the david wright era.

anecdotal, but people that identify as "piazza-era mets fans" (i would probably fall into that category; i was in HS for the runs in '99 and '00) are definitely one faction, then there's the wright-era people that were middle school/high school age around the '06 run. both those demos have some good purchasing power now, and here we are.

sig2024.png

Archived