MLB 2021

SportsLogos.Net News

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That confusion is always present; they have a sun ray and a devil ray on their uniforms at the same time.

tampa-bay-rays-gty-jt-210311_16154978765

They need to just pick one.

It's still confusing because this isn't clear when looking at the uniform but from day one of the rebrand they said they were now sun rays but the devil ray was on the sleeve only as a nod to their previous identity. Just saying that there is an actual explanation for this. Kinda like how the Astros use the tequila sunrise color scheme in a few spots in their current set.

26 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Ha! You're right -- i also don't get a University of Oregon vibe from it. But it does share some similarities to logo of the The Oregonian newspaper in Portland. 

spacer.png

Fair enough, although they're both simple variations off an established blackletter O form.

blackletter-guide-o.pngimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRsGPC3Kg09qxED2UvFL8 printable-letter-englishgothic-o.jpg?v=2

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

Fair enough, although they're both simple variations off an established blackletter O form.

cabazon-regular_characters_457786.gif

100% right. I'm not suggesting one is a copy of the other. Just that the Oakland one made me think of the Oregonian. It's as much about me having spent 10 years in Portland as it is about them being similar. My mind went to what was familiar. 

7 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

It's still confusing because this isn't clear when looking at the uniform but from day one of the rebrand they said they were now sun rays but the devil ray was on the sleeve only as a nod to their previous identity. Just saying that there is an actual explanation for this.

The actual explanation is that they didn't have the courage of their convictions to actually make a choice.

They have so little regard for their area as to claim the word "devil" was keeping people away from the ballpark, but at the same time they don't want to alienate people who like the fish.   

12 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

If they moved to the O cap, I would keep the Athletics script since it starts with a blackletter A, but I think bringing back the full blackletter OAKLAND arc would be the best move for the road, unless they changed the O in the Oakland script to a blackletter form like the monogram.

Theres something very California about all-caps blackletter type on an arc. 🙂

At home, I'd go with just A's (or, preferably, just the blackletterish A) on the chest.  For the road, use the old blackletter OAKLAND arc.

Athletics script can stay for the alt, and be worn with either cap.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I am 100% against the blackletter “Oakland” on the road uniform. The O logo hat is a downgrade, making another downgrade on the uniform to match it makes it even worse. 

That said, I support the O logo and word mark as an alternate, preferably a Kelly green fauxback. 

1 hour ago, OaklandIsBack said:

I am 100% against the blackletter “Oakland” on the road uniform. The O logo hat is a downgrade, making another downgrade on the uniform to match it makes it even worse. 

That said, I support the O logo and word mark as an alternate, preferably a Kelly green fauxback. 

You completely contradicted yourself here.

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

That confusion is always present; they have a sun ray and a devil ray on their uniforms at the same time.

tampa-bay-rays-gty-jt-210311_16154978765

They need to just pick one.

I don't mind it at all.

Rays is not a very interesting name, but they do have an interesting uniform set.

11 hours ago, dont care said:

You completely contradicted yourself here.

How? I don’t want the black letter Oakland on the primary grey road uniform, I wouldn’t mind it as an alternate (which is still a downgrade but an acceptable one if they were set on using the O logo)

I don’t think the A’s need to make any branding changes outside of reviving the previous road hat. If they want to figure out some new “Oakland” alt, fine; but the existing uniforms are perfect.

Should the default in baseball be a place-name letter on the hat? Yes. Should there also be room for idiosyncratic deviations from that norm in cases where they’ve taken hold and been successful? Also yes.

The “A’s” cap is weird but it works for them and has for a long time.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 hours ago, Digby said:

I don’t think the A’s need to make any branding changes outside of reviving the previous road hat. If they want to figure out some new “Oakland” alt, fine; but the existing uniforms are perfect.

Should the default in baseball be a place-name letter on the hat? Yes. Should there also be room for idiosyncratic deviations from that norm in cases where they’ve taken hold and been successful? Also yes.

The “A’s” cap is weird but it works for them and has for a long time.

That is true. The A's are notorious for deviating from the norm in their uniform identity. It works for them that they are a little different in this sense. 

Go A's!

The A's, Angels and White Sox get a pass for the monogram being the nickname and not the location or location-ish (Twins). Though the Sox really has a word. I definitely believe any monogram should be the location, but with these teams, there's just so much history/works better.

34 minutes ago, McCall said:

The A's, Angels and White Sox get a pass for the monogram being the nickname and not the location or location-ish (Twins). Though the Sox really has a word. I definitely believe any monogram should be the location, but with these teams, there's just so much history/works better.

I'd say the Mariners old trident logo gets a pass as well, but they unfortunately don't use that anymore

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

57 minutes ago, Digby said:

The “Twin Cities” monogram is by far the strangest MLB cap logo, IMO. That’s considerably weirder to me than the A’s thing.

I had long preferred the underline M cap and pinstripe uniforms. Maybe that was just because I grew up with that. I felt like the TC logo was some kind of Cincinnati Reds alternate.

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived