MLB 2021

SportsLogos.Net News

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

In the photo you posted, it looks like they dropped the pants that had the blue piping down the side, so maybe that implies the “Dodgers” gray jersey is the primary away now.

I think a jersey with the “Los Angeles” script but without any piping would be the perfect option, though.

On the Unified podcast, they didn't want to carry two different gray pants on road trips so they just dropped one of them. 

Go A's!

5 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

Can’t believe the Dodgers actually wore their primary road jerseys last night. At least I THINK they’re still their primaries; they’ve worn the Dodgers script on the road so much one would think they changed without any announcement.

The 'Los Angeles' jerseys aren't the primaries anymore, the last season they were was all the way back in 2013 before the 'Dodgers' jersey debuted. Pretty much once the so-called "alternate" 'Dodgers' road jersey debuted in 2014, the team made that the primary road jersey. 

Here's the number of times they have worn each road jersey from 2014 thru 2020. **Note this also Includes playoff games

'Dodgers' (73%, 60 times) 

'Los Angeles' (27%, 22 times)

'Dodgers' (81%, 67 times)

'Los Angeles' (19%, 16 times)

'Dodgers' (69%, 60 times)

'Los Angeles' (31%, 27 times)

'Dodgers' (67%, 59 times)

'Los Angeles' (33%, 29 times)

'Dodgers' (73%, 66 times)

'Los Angeles' (27%, 24 times)

'Dodgers' (76%, 63 times)

'Los Angeles' (24%, 20 times)

'Dodgers' (86%, 32 times)

'Los Angeles' (14%, 5 times)

The fact that they have never worn the 'Los Angeles' jerseys in the playoffs since the 'Dodgers' jersey debuted in 2014 is also proof that the 'Los Angeles' primary became the alternate that same season.

22 minutes ago, DarthBrett said:

The 'Los Angeles' jerseys aren't the primaries anymore, the last season they were was all the way back in 2013 before the 'Dodgers' jersey debuted. Pretty much once the so-called "alternate" 'Dodgers' road jersey debuted in 2014, the team made that the primary road jersey. 

Here's the number of times they have worn each road jersey from 2014 thru 2020. **Note this also Includes playoff games

The fact that they have never worn the 'Los Angeles' jerseys in the playoffs since the 'Dodgers' jersey debuted in 2014 is also proof that the 'Los Angeles' primary became the alternate that same season.

Usage does not mean what is officially designed.

Take Miami for instance: Their grey jersey was the primary, but yet they did not wear it for an entire season opting to go black instead on the road.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

2 hours ago, DiePerske said:

Usage does not mean what is officially designed.

Take Miami for instance: Their grey jersey was the primary, but yet they did not wear it for an entire season opting to go black instead on the road.

I get that, but I would still say that the black was th Marlins' primary that season since they never wore the greys. That was also only for 1 season where as this has been 7+ seasons now. Besides the fact that the Dodgers have worn the 'Dodgers' jersey nearly 80% of the time over the span of 7 seasons since it was introduced, they have never worn the 'Los Angeles' jersey in the playoffs once since 2013. To me, that's the biggest sign that the club considers the 'Dodgers' jersey as their regular road jersey now and made the 'Los Angeles' jersey the less used alternate road jersey. 

11 hours ago, DarthBrett said:

I get that, but I would still say that the black was th Marlins' primary that season since they never wore the greys. That was also only for 1 season where as this has been 7+ seasons now. Besides the fact that the Dodgers have worn the 'Dodgers' jersey nearly 80% of the time over the span of 7 seasons since it was introduced, they have never worn the 'Los Angeles' jersey in the playoffs once since 2013. To me, that's the biggest sign that the club considers the 'Dodgers' jersey as their regular road jersey now and made the 'Los Angeles' jersey the less used alternate road jersey. 

This basically just comes down to semantics.  Just because an alternate jersey is worn more than a primary jersey, does not "make" the alternate jersey become the primary jersey, at least not officially.

I am pretty sure that teams have official designations for each of their jerseys, and I don't think the Marlins ever designated their black jersey a "primary," even if they wore it more often than the primary road grays.  In fact, I think for every MLB team, their white jersey is designated as their primary home, and their gray jersey is designated as their primary away.

You can "think" of a jersey as being a primary in the sense that it is worn more often, but that does not make it the "official" primary.

I don't know if you follow the NBA, but there was a period of time in the early 2010s where a lot of NBA teams pretty much stopped using their primary logos in any capacity (3 teams that come to mind are the Raptors, Jazz, and Wizards).  They were using their alternate logos pretty much exclusively, but they held on to their primary logos because there was some ridiculous fee (I think $500,000) that a team would have to pay if it wanted to change its primary logo.  So these teams just kept their primary logo for many years without ever using it anywhere, until they decided it was time to pay the fee and make their alternate logos become the primary logos. 

My point is that leagues take these official designations pretty seriously and they have nothing to do with just "what gets used or worn more often."

6 hours ago, SCalderwood said:

I am pretty sure that teams have official designations for each of their jerseys, and I don't think the Marlins ever designated their black jersey a "primary," even if they wore it more often than the primary road grays.  In fact, I think for every MLB team, their white jersey is designated as their primary home, and their gray jersey is designated as their primary away.

The Padres brown jersey is designated as their primary road uniform

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

On 4/17/2021 at 7:10 PM, DarthBrett said:

The Los Angeles is 1,000 times better. Speaking of alternate vs primary fo the nationals even wear the curly w jerseys anymore?

On 4/17/2021 at 6:15 PM, Andrew_Gamer_NZP said:

The jerseys in use.

This looks like when you play Diamond Dynasty in MLB The Show.

And speaking of that game, if you look at the uniforms in that game and how they're designated you can get a pretty accurate update as to what the teams currently designate as primary or alternate and for the Dodgers the Los Angeles jersey is still the primary road designation and the Dodgers one is the alternate.

34 minutes ago, MNtwins3 said:

Nationals are wearing their blue script alt jersey with the red stars and stripes hat. I'm almost certain that combo has never been worn before

And the Cards wearing red hats on the road against a red hat team once again...

On 4/17/2021 at 6:10 PM, DarthBrett said:

As an Angels fan I still fondly remember when we got to put Anaheim on our away jersey. I think every team should have the option of a city name jersey. I don't know why they Dodgers don't rep their Los Angeles jersey more

On 4/17/2021 at 3:39 PM, RichardWitham said:

those boston jerseys are not bad at ALL especially for a series. 

Except when I look at them, I don't see the Red Sox.

There are looks that are released that look good. From an aesthetic standpoint, I had very little issue with the Astros' red-and-black uniform set. From a history standpoint, there was absolutely no connection to the established Astros colors and that was my biggest gripe with them. 

Same issue for me with these Boston city uniforms. I'm glad for Boston that they honor the city, and the uniforms look good. But to me, the Red Sox are navy and red and these uniforms don't have either of those colors. Throw in the fact that it's really just a reason for Nike and MLB to sell more merchandise and it makes the idea of these uniforms even worse.

On 4/18/2021 at 6:10 AM, SCalderwood said:

This basically just comes down to semantics.  Just because an alternate jersey is worn more than a primary jersey, does not "make" the alternate jersey become the primary jersey, at least not officially.

You can "think" of a jersey as being a primary in the sense that it is worn more often, but that does not make it the "official" primary.

I don't know if you follow the NBA, but there was a period of time in the early 2010s where a lot of NBA teams pretty much stopped using their primary logos in any capacity (3 teams that come to mind are the Raptors, Jazz, and Wizards).  They were using their alternate logos pretty much exclusively, but they held on to their primary logos because there was some ridiculous fee (I think $500,000) that a team would have to pay if it wanted to change its primary logo.  So these teams just kept their primary logo for many years without ever using it anywhere, until they decided it was time to pay the fee and make their alternate logos become the primary logos. 

My point is that leagues take these official designations pretty seriously and they have nothing to do with just "what gets used or worn more often."

The examples cited by other posters using real data suggests that your point is not corroborated by what is currently practiced. If alternates are worn more than primaries and there is no action taken by the league we can conclude that the league does not take the designations seriously.

On 4/19/2021 at 8:52 AM, SilverBullet1929 said:

This looks like when you play Diamond Dynasty in MLB The Show.

And speaking of that game, if you look at the uniforms in that game and how they're designated you can get a pretty accurate update as to what the teams currently designate as primary or alternate and for the Dodgers the Los Angeles jersey is still the primary road designation and the Dodgers one is the alternate.

[MLB The Show video]

The Show keeps giving pullovers the button down look. I guess they can't program 2 different uniform templates. 

XM4KeeA.png

Ideally the Dodgers would just rip the piping off the Los Angeles away jerseys and call it a day.  As was said on Unified with Ross Yoshida the alternate gray jersey came about after the Australia game when it was pointed out that the Dodger brand was nowhere to be found since they wore two LAs and a "Los Angeles" wordmark.  So, I'd prefer a sans-piping Los Angeles away uniform but I could see the issue and in which case I'd advocate for the LA sleeve patch to be replaced by the primary logo roundel.

In terms of the San Diego series I'm pretty sure that they used the standard road for the (one-sided) city rivalry aspect.

VmWIn6B.png

Archived