Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

I'd say the Mariners old trident logo gets a pass as well, but they unfortunately don't use that anymore

Never liked that logo, at least for on the caps, so in my personal opinion, no. But to each their own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DEAD! said:

I had long preferred the underline M cap and pinstripe uniforms. Maybe that was just because I grew up with that. I felt like the TC logo was some kind of Cincinnati Reds alternate.

 

I grew up with the M as well, but have always found it and its associated pinstripe era too 90s to stand, personally -- so I do prefer the TC on aesthetic grounds, it's just very strange. Confused me deeply when I first discovered its existence as a kid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The M is... fine.  It's just fine.  But that's just it - it has no character.  The TC makes you think a bit - at least as a little kid collecting baseball cards in the '80s, I had absolutely no idea what TC was for.  I can't remember when I figured it out, but I thought it was the coolest thing.  I never got to see the caps other than the ASG but I wanted one (unfortunately, there was no easy way to get one back then.)

 

It's not the best that an interlocking TC could be, but it definitely has charm that the M lacks, and should be their cap forever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BBTV said:

The M is... fine.  It's just fine.  But that's just it - it has no character.  The TC makes you think a bit - at least as a little kid collecting baseball cards in the '80s, I had absolutely no idea what TC was for.  I can't remember when I figured it out, but I thought it was the coolest thing.  I never got to see the caps other than the ASG but I wanted one (unfortunately, there was no easy way to get one back then.)

 

It's not the best that an interlocking TC could be, but it definitely has charm that the M lacks, and should be their cap forever.

Most Twins fans generally agree that the TC is superior (including yours truly), but we all love the M for sentimental purposes (I literally have an M cap that got delivered today from '47)

 

The TC is more historic, and has been around since literally day 1 in Minnesota. The M is mainly connected to our two world series wins. Personally, I hope we always have the TC as an option, preferably the primary hat. The M can be a nice throwback every once in a while

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

Most Twins fans generally agree that the TC is superior (including yours truly), but we all love the M for sentimental purposes (I literally have an M cap that got delivered today from '47)

 

The TC is more historic, and has been around since literally day 1 in Minnesota. The M is mainly connected to our two world series wins. Personally, I hope we always have the TC as an option, preferably the primary hat. The M can be a nice throwback every once in a while

If they do eventually switch to that updated script they were using on twitter and stuff last year, then I wouldn't mind a navy alt in the metrodome font with the M cap to go with it. Similar to how they had the cream throwback alternate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The TC stands for the Twin Cities. That’s what we call the greater Minneapolis-St. Paul area. Places like Bloomington, White Bear Lake, Woodbury, Coon Rapids, they’re all a part of the Twin Cities. Sure the TC is a little confusing for outsiders, but that’s not who it’s for. It’s meant to represent the Twin Cities, and it does a perfect job.
 

And the M cap is ok, but that extra underline is dumb. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2021 at 8:39 AM, gosioux76 said:

 

Ha! You're right -- i also don't get a University of Oregon vibe from it. But it does share some similarities to logo of the The Oregonian newspaper in Portland. 

spacer.png

 


In practical terms, this wouldn’t be an issue. The Oregonian doesn’t have a national footprint, plus Oaklanders would likely associate it with what they know:

 

spacer.png

 

I was thinking about this the other day, though. It’s kind of odd that this relic of typographic convention persists, even in 2021, on nearly every major newspaper masthead, both in print and online.

 

But then I realized that every time we’ve shown a blackletter concept to a team, someone at the team has mentioned the local newspaper, so there is a definite link in the minds of the audience between a blackletter initial (particularly if it’s the initial for the city) and newspaper mastheads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chcarlson23 said:

The TC stands for the Twin Cities. That’s what we call the greater Minneapolis-St. Paul area. Places like Bloomington, White Bear Lake, Woodbury, Coon Rapids, they’re all a part of the Twin Cities. Sure the TC is a little confusing for outsiders, but that’s not who it’s for. It’s meant to represent the Twin Cities, and it does a perfect job.
 

And the M cap is ok, but that extra underline is dumb. 


i think everyone gets the TC meaning eventually, it’s just a little strange to have your most prominent logo be divorced from the team name, that’s all. The new Nats could have maybe pulled it off too, but they never stick with the DC monograms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Digby said:


i think everyone gets the TC meaning eventually, it’s just a little strange to have your most prominent logo be divorced from the team name, that’s all. The new Nats could have maybe pulled it off too, but they never stick with the DC monograms. 

 

But that's the beauty of it -- it's not. They're the Twins, a name derived from "Twin Cities," so the TC is actually a pretty clever representation of the team name. 

 

I agree with @MNtwins3. I have that same '47 Brand "M" cap and wear it almost every day. I also have a fantastic Mitchell & Ness replica of the '87/'91 dugout jackets with a big embroidered 'M' on the front. I adore it, but only because of what it represents.

 

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing the "M" reincorporated as an occasional alternate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've written several times that I have zero problem with road teams wearing something other than gray jerseys, so I'm not going to touch on the Marlins here. But the Braves wearing red at home for Jackie Robinson Day is avoidable and somewhat disappointing. I'm not generally too opposed to seeing teams wearing colored jerseys at home either, but "special" days should be the domain of white jerseys only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2021 at 10:56 AM, Gothamite said:

That confusion is always present; they have a sun ray and a devil ray on their uniforms at the same time.

 

tampa-bay-rays-gty-jt-210311_16154978765

 

They need to just pick one.

 

Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BBTV said:

The M is... fine.  It's just fine.  But that's just it - it has no character.  The TC makes you think a bit - at least as a little kid collecting baseball cards in the '80s, I had absolutely no idea what TC was for.  I can't remember when I figured it out, but I thought it was the coolest thing.  I never got to see the caps other than the ASG but I wanted one (unfortunately, there was no easy way to get one back then.)

 

It's not the best that an interlocking TC could be, but it definitely has charm that the M lacks, and should be their cap forever.


The first conscious memory I have of seeing the Twins was the 1987 World Series when they'd already gotten rid of the TC. But i had a very similar reaction when I started checking out old baseball books at the library and saw Rod Carew in a TC cap for the first time.

I definitely think there's room for the TC and the M in the Twins identity if for no reason than how do you actually choose between the two?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The annual Jackie Robinson tribute has been tweaked slightly. 
 

This year, the patches feature each team’s specific number font. 
 

 

Up until now each team used the exact same patch, in Dodgers styling. 
 

EzDXOx9WUAEhPcl?format=jpg&name=large


Personally, I think they were waiting for the Brewers to ditch the worst custom font in baseball. 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't the giant 42 on the back of the jersey essentially a tribute patch?  Seems a little redundant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Personally, I think they were waiting for the Brewers to ditch the worst custom font in baseball. 😛

My greatest disappointment with the Brewers is that their last branding had a really good idea for a script on the jersey (cursive old-school brewery font to tie in with the team name), but they just mangled the crap out of it with so much unnecessary crap and terrible design ideas (drop shadows, outlines upon outlines, a terrible muddy color scheme) that it ruined what was otherwise a pretty solid idea...a lot like many late 90's-early 2000's rebrands did, actually.

 

Like, this script on it's own without all the fluff does work for me;

spacer.png

But instead of a nice, simple script on the jerseys, we got this;

spacer.png

Which completely :censored:ed the font's strengths by covering it in three different goddamned outlines to make a drop shadow. If they'd just kept it to base color + the first outline, I think it could've aged a lot better; but then, that era was all about that kinda crap, so I guess I'm not surprised it aged as well as an apple left in the sun for 5 years straight. 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The script itself may have been salvageable had they not wiffed on pretty much everything else about that rebrand.  Which wasn't even necessary since they just had a full rebrand not even a decade before then; and after staying pretty consistent (only evolutionary tweaks) throughout the Yount-Molitor years.

I really think the Motre Bame unis had potential staying power had they stuck with them long enough to become associated with Prince and Braun rather than Jaha and Cirillo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To add another Twins fan’s opinion into the discussion, I’ve never been a fan of the M logo, either. Sure, both of the World Series wins happened with that cap, but even then the TC was still present on the sleeves. My appreciation for the TC as a logo, both aesthetically and symbolically, has only grown over time.

 

I too have had friends often ask me in the past what the TC stands for whenever they see the logo. It’s a fun little trivia tidbit to inform them about that, making for one of the more unique cap logos in the league, in my opinion.

 

Beyond the TC though, I think the Twins could use a major overall that drops the gold & just simplifies the brand down to its most important, iconic elements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

To add another Twins fan’s opinion into the discussion, I’ve never been a fan of the M logo, either. Sure, both of the World Series wins happened with that cap, but even then the TC was still present on the sleeves. My appreciation for the TC as a logo, both aesthetically and symbolically, has only grown over time.

 

I too have had friends often ask me in the past what the TC stands for whenever they see the logo. It’s a fun little trivia tidbit to inform them about that, making for one of the more unique cap logos in the league, in my opinion.

 

Beyond the TC though, I think the Twins could use a major overall that drops the gold & just simplifies the brand down to its most important, iconic elements.

Supposedly they're going to be doing a rebrand next year. I would assume it includes using that updated Twins script they've been using on social media for the past year-ish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone from outstate MN who lived closer to one of the Dakotas major cities than the Twin Cities, I feel like having the m  to represent the entire state should appeal more to me, but the TC is so iconic and better designed and the m feels kind of bubbly and not really part of the brand anymore so I actually prefer the TC. Unless the Twins completely rebranded to their previous metrodome set, the TC should stay or they should find a new M logo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.