Jump to content

MLB 2021


SportsLogos.Net News
 Share

Recommended Posts

I think managers should be in team pullovers or jackets, hoodies, etc. full-time. Whether in actual baseball pants or khakis like the trainers, doesn't really matter. But there's no reason they should be in jerseys. But IF they're in jerseys, they should be required to wear high numbers, like in the 80s or 90s. Would help distinguish them from players who would wear normal numbers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is there another sport that has coaches in the actual field of play like baseball has with 1st and 3rd base coaches?  I don't think those old fat guys should be in uniforms either, but being that they're in the field for half the game, there should be some kind of minimum standard they should follow... and they should be "uniform", so to speak.  They don't need numbers.  Coaches wearing numbers is stupid.  But they should wear something that clearly indicates that they belong in the field of play and are representing the hitting team.

 

As for the manager - I want to see more personality.  I want a manager to wear a cowboy hat and cowboy boots.  I want a manager to wear a leather biker jacket with pansy-ass skulls on it.  Gabe Kappler should be able to not even wear a shirt and let all the fat sweathogs in the stands stare at what a "real man" looks like.  Managers also need walk-up music for when they pull the pitchers.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve always been a bit torn when it comes to managers in uniform.

 

One one hand, there’s something quintessentially “baseball” about a guy like, say, Casey Stengel in uniform; he absolutely looked goofy in it, and that was part of the charm. I don’t think he’d have looked the right part of “Stengel” as we know him if he were in a suit:

 

spacer.png

 

On the other hand, I can also see the argument for more variety, more personality, and something that helps the manager stand out a bit. I see nothing wrong with a manager branching out a bit in that regard. I’ve always liked what Chris Woodward has worn on occasion and think that strikes a fine balance between team-wear and uniform:

 

spacer.png
 

I don’t think managers should ever go full suit, though. I know Connie Mack did it, and he should have been the most professional looking manager of all-time, but to me he looked far more like a lost spectator who wandered out of the stands and onto the field than a manager. The suit just didn’t look right for baseball.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's no need for anyone in any position in the world to go full suit anymore, let alone an idiot sports guy.

 

That 1/4-zip thing is pretty cool - especially if it was in wool.  The whole uniform thing is just a holdover from when the manager was also a player and it's long outdated and dumb.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Something I've noticed so far - and can't find a reason for - is that the Padres have only worn their road primary uniform once this season and have worn their road alternate uniform mostly. Their road primary is actually the brown top with San Diego in gold lettering on top of solid sand pants while the alternate is the sand pinstripe top with sand pindstripe pants.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/20/2021 at 12:47 PM, LMU said:

Ideally the Dodgers would just rip the piping off the Los Angeles away jerseys and call it a day.  As was said on Unified with Ross Yoshida the alternate gray jersey came about after the Australia game when it was pointed out that the Dodger brand was nowhere to be found since they wore two LAs and a "Los Angeles" wordmark.  So, I'd prefer a sans-piping Los Angeles away uniform but I could see the issue and in which case I'd advocate for the LA sleeve patch to be replaced by the primary logo roundel.

 

In terms of the San Diego series I'm pretty sure that they used the standard road for the (one-sided) city rivalry aspect.

 

The Dodgers brand is strong enough that I should like to think people can see "Los Angeles" in royal blue tailed script above a red number and figure out it's the Dodgers. 

 

I never cared for the Dodgers having any secondary logos on the sleeves. Same with piping. It detracts from the austerity, which is part of the brand.

 

  

14 minutes ago, OBomb said:

Something I've noticed so far - and can't find a reason for - is that the Padres have only worn their road primary uniform once this season and have worn their road alternate uniform mostly. Their road primary is actually the brown top with San Diego in gold lettering on top of solid sand pants while the alternate is the sand pinstripe top with sand pindstripe pants.

I think they reversed designations for 2021 by popular demand.

 

  

14 hours ago, QCS said:

I want managers to keep wearing uniforms because I think it's funny to see all these old guys in full baseball uniforms.

There aren't really many old guys to laugh at anymore; field managers now are just well-liked journeymen who retired two years ago and will do whatever the Ivy Leaguers upstairs instruct them to do

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, DiePerske said:

Honestly, I've got nothing better for you thank it's the way it's always been done and as such is part of the accepted and norm for baseball aesthetics. 

 

That, and it's not actively or inactively harming anyone so it's good to stay. Again, they dont even need to wear it. Just leave it within the realm of possibility that you are.

If that were true, you'd have something like a point.

 

Google Connie Mack dugout if you actually think this is true

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, BBTV said:

When the only reason is "because that's just how it's always been" then it's typically a bad rule / law, whether we're talking about baseball managers or anything else in society.

Exactly. If baseball was ruled by tradition and how things were always done, then there'd still be a color barrier. There'd be no night games. There'd be no playoffs. Teams would just not show up to stadiums they didn't want to play at with no penalty. Pitchers would ruin their arms because they'd be expected to pitch complete games every time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, some rules should be changed and that’s the way. 
 

But just as “it’s always been that way” is not a reason to keep everything static, so too “rules can change” is not a reason everything must be constantly altered. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

let me just be clear on this.

 

In my post I said if it does not hurt anyone.

 

Segregation hurt everyone, especially the talented Black ballplayers who were denied the chance to play in the majors. Disagree all you want, hell make fun of me if you want. But dont you DARE suggest I support segregation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Managers and coaches in full uniform look sorta goofy, but all baseball players do, when you think about it. They'd look goofier if they walked onto the field in khakis and subtly branded polo shirts as if they wandered off from a corporate team-building retreat at a golf course.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Managers and coaches in full uniform look sorta goofy, but all baseball players do, when you think about it. They'd look goofier if they walked onto the field in khakis and subtly branded polo shirts as if they wandered off from a corporate team-building retreat at a golf course.


Pat Burrell thinks khakis and polo shirts are okay for a diamond

burrell.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, MNtwins3 said:

On a completely different note, I've seen them in action for a few games, and I absolutely hate NOBs for the Giants at home

I am wondering why the change was made. I thought their previous setup was perfect, only having them on the road.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This manager attire talk has me realizing that the problem isn't the tops, it's the pants.

 

Managers all look good in the jackets, hoodies, zip ups, and warm up tops and a few do pull off the jersey tops well... the real issue is the pants.

 

We gotta do something about the pants.

 

If we say that managers and coaches have to wear a top that shows team logos and colors that's fine because there's enough variety of ways to achieve that but what different pants can they wear?

 

I do think it has to be something leaning towards athletic wear because dress pants on a grass field on a sunny summer day would be ridiculous and it has to be something the on-field coaches can move around in. Not sure the answer yet though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

This manager attire talk has me realizing that the problem isn't the tops, it's the pants.

 

Managers all look good in the jackets, hoodies, zip ups, and warm up tops and a few do pull off the jersey tops well... the real issue is the pants.

 

We gotta do something about the pants.

 

If we say that managers and coaches have to wear a top that shows team logos and colors that's fine because there's enough variety of ways to achieve that but what different pants can they wear?

 

I do think it has to be something leaning towards athletic wear because dress pants on a grass field on a sunny summer day would be ridiculous and it has to be something the on-field coaches can move around in. Not sure the answer yet though.

Really anything they want, if they want to wear jeans, or shorts, if all they are doing is sitting on a bench all game, and going to the mound 4-5 times I don’t really care what he wears so long as they don’t look like they just rolled out of bed, ate a hamburger and came out to the field. The NFL is probably the greatest example of allowing coaches to wear what they want so long as they can slap a Nike logo on it. I believe Jim mora wanted to wear suits when he was coaching so Reebok made the guy suits to wear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dont care said:

Really anything they want, if they want to wear jeans, or shorts, if all they are doing is sitting on a bench all game, and going to the mound 4-5 times I don’t really care what he wears so long as they don’t look like they just rolled out of bed, ate a hamburger and came out to the field. The NFL is probably the greatest example of allowing coaches to wear what they want so long as they can slap a Nike logo on it. I believe Jim mora wanted to wear suits when he was coaching so Reebok made the guy suits to wear.

Rex Ryan had his sweater vests with a nike logo slapped on them....

 

That the Bills/nike turned around and sold

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some of the Armed Forces Weekend caps, mostly all white logos but those with multiple colors have varying amounts of black in them, to mixed results:

Men's Oakland Athletics New Era Camo 2021 Armed Forces Day 9FIFTY Snapback Adjustable HatMen's Toronto Blue Jays New Era Camo 2021 Armed Forces Day 9FIFTY Snapback Adjustable HatMen's St. Louis Cardinals New Era Camo 2021 Armed Forces Day 9FIFTY Snapback Adjustable HatMen's Baltimore Orioles New Era Camo 2021 Armed Forces Day On-Field 59FIFTY Fitted HatMen's Colorado Rockies New Era Camo 2021 Armed Forces Day On-Field 59FIFTY Fitted HatMen's Seattle Mariners New Era Camo 2021 Armed Forces Day On-Field 59FIFTY Fitted HatMen's Miami Marlins New Era Camo 2021 Armed Forces Day On-Field 59FIFTY Fitted HatMen's Los Angeles Angels New Era Camo 2021 Armed Forces Day On-Field 59FIFTY Fitted HatMen's Arizona Diamondbacks New Era Camo 2021 Armed Forces Day On-Field 59FIFTY Fitted HatMen's Milwaukee Brewers New Era Camo 2021 Armed Forces Day On-Field 59FIFTY Fitted Hat

Of the ones with black and white some like Miami and Baltimore and Arizona work better while others like Colorado and Seattle aren't very good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • CS85 locked this topic
  • LMU unlocked this topic
  • CS85 locked and unlocked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.