1 hour ago, selgy said:

Haven't the Blue Jays done that? 

I thought it was just an alt - no?

54 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I thought it was just an alt - no?

You're right. It is an alternate. 

They played the Rays 10 times this year and I don't think I saw the grays at all. 

On 10/3/2020 at 4:05 PM, selgy said:

Haven't the Blue Jays done that? 

Ask this again after the 2021 season. For now I'll assume they overused the powder blue as a marketing stunt. Also, playing in Buffalo, short season, and had a strong playoff push so there's the chance the uniforms got worn as "lucky" uniforms... etc etc. There's enough reason to believe they might scale back on it in 2021. I could totally be wrong though, just gotta wait to see.

On 10/3/2020 at 6:15 PM, selgy said:

You're right. It is an alternate. 

They played the Rays 10 times this year and I don't think I saw the grays at all. 

They did wear the grays several times this year, including vs the Rays. They actually wore them almost every game to start the season as they started the season on the road and didn't wear the powder blues until their first "home game" which was almost in mid August.

But yes they wore the powder blues way more than anyone thought they would.

On 10/3/2020 at 4:07 PM, selgy said:

The Rays are really starting to take ownership of "lime" green

hsq4v6iovu0gegulpacx.jpg

I think this only works if they change the jerseys to match. Looking at this bobblehead image here you see it seems to work because the socks match the cap but if you were to see the jersey you would see it's from an entirely different branding.

I think I like that updated Devil Rays cap but we gotta remember it was just meant to be a 20th anniversary retro inspired cap (to a cap they never actually wore in any real games fyi!) and so it was never really meant to be paired with the current jerseys with any real frequency. If the cap is popular I don't mind it getting some use but for them to really take ownership of it they would need a jersey to match it and that might mean scrapping the 2008-present day Rays branding... and I'm not sure if the organization wants to do that as this branding is now associated with winning. The previous branding is fun for 90's nostalgia but let's not forget what a disappointment the Devil Rays were on the field for their first 10 seasons. I don't know this with any certainty but I'd find it hard to believe that anyone in that organization wants to totally become the neon gradient Devil Rays again.

Edit: I just realized the jersey on the bobblehead is probably the 98 throwback jersey. What I meant by this cap usually being paired with the wrong jersey is this:

Rays vs. Blue Jays lineups for Saturday, with Charlie Morton on the mound

On 9/30/2020 at 3:49 PM, schlim said:

All these Marlins comments are insane. The umpires have more legible uniforms. Stop defending this design.

Just heard Don Mattingly on Dan Patrick saying the Marlins might be making changes to the black alts because no one can see the word mark on it, so, fingers crossed. 

On 10/3/2020 at 4:07 PM, selgy said:

The Rays are really starting to take ownership of "lime" green

hsq4v6iovu0gegulpacx.jpg

Will they just decide on a look already? The rebrand was initially very bland with just navy. Then they starting emphasizing light blue, then last post season they started emphasizing yellow and the "Burst" logo. Now they are emphasizing lime green with the retro logo?

Lime green would be a cool addition for baseball. Rays should go with it. 

13 minutes ago, njdevs7 said:

Will they just decide on a look already? The rebrand was initially very bland with just navy. Then they starting emphasizing light blue, then last post season they started emphasizing yellow and the "Burst" logo. Now they are emphasizing lime green with the retro logo?

Lol yeah maybe they're slowly building to a new version of the gradient using all those colors? I'm joking but that could actually be something that might work.

21 minutes ago, lahaye7 said:

Just heard Don Mattingly on Dan Patrick saying the Marlins might be making changes to the black ats because no one can see the word mark on it, so, fingers crossed. 

This is super interesting not just because people want this but because, obviously, it means the organization is considering it which is key since, whether we liked it or not, they had their reasons for going black on black and for sticking with it.

Or maybe better said... it's very easy for a team to ignore fan feedback on uniforms and just stick to their guns (like the Padres with navy for so long), so even a mention of the team considering a fan requested change is big news.

12 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

This is super interesting not just because people want this but because, obviously, it means the organization is considering it which is key since, whether we liked it or not, they had their reasons for going black on black and for sticking with it.

Or maybe better said... it's very easy for a team to ignore fan feedback on uniforms and just stick to their guns (like the Padres with navy for so long), so even a mention of the team considering a fan requested change is big news.

This front office certainly strikes me as one that would be receptive to fan feedback on something like this, so I'm not at all surprised that they might consider fixing the black alternate. In fact, I was expecting adjustments from the moment it was unveiled; of course that would take a year or two to implement. Let's hope they do indeed move ahead with this. If done properly, the black alternate could look very nice.

2 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

This front office certainly strikes me as one that would be receptive to fan feedback on something like this, so I'm not at all surprised that they might consider fixing the black alternate. In fact, I was expecting adjustments from the moment it was unveiled; of course that would take a year or two to implement. Let's hope they do indeed move ahead with this. If done properly, the black alternate could look very nice.

What would be your fixes to the black alternate?

I'd imagine the two most realistic options (as in, what they might do that doesn't involve some complete revamping and still sticks with whatever look they're trying to maintain) are keeping all the elements black but outlining everything in white, or filling everything in with their blue.

Actually, maybe a little of both could be possible too such as filling in the name and numbers in blue to achieve legibility but just adding the white outline to the wordmark to maintain the black on black look? I guess this way would keep what they want on the front but make the name and numbers more visible for practicality.

Here's the wordmark with a white outline fyi, this is used on a lot of merchandise and in print and other media, just not on the uniforms...

Miami Marlins coronavirus outbreak: Team's games postponed through Sunday -  CNN

6 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

What would be your fixes to the black alternate?

I'd imagine the two most realistic options (as in, what they might do that doesn't involve some complete revamping and still sticks with whatever look they're trying to maintain) are keeping all the elements black but outlining everything in white, or filling everything in with their blue.

Actually, maybe a little of both could be possible too such as filling in the name and numbers in blue to achieve legibility but just adding the white outline to the wordmark to maintain the black on black look? I guess this way would keep what they want on the front but make the name and numbers more visible for practicality.

Here's the wordmark with a white outline fyi, this is used on a lot of merchandise and in print and other media, just not on the uniforms...

Miami Marlins coronavirus outbreak: Team's games postponed through Sunday -  CNN

I do agree that they aren't going to be revamping the entire set in a major way. As much as I would like to see more color added to the logo and home wordmark, I'd be surprised if that happened.

I'd prefer they not go with the white outline look, as seen on that mural. It would enhance the legibility a bit, but in the end it doesn't look very appealing to my eye. It's still sorely lacking an injection of color.

The Marlins simply need to finally put their money where their mouth is with their "our colores" campaign. As observed on the Bottom Feeders T-shirts, that shade of blue can look very nice on a black background; it just pops so incredibly well. A white outline on that would just muck it up. The obvious solution would be to do away with black on black entirely and go with a solid blue wordmark, as conceptualized earlier in this thread.

I would love blue text on the white jersey and the black jersey. Simple as that. 

If they're going to "fix" the black jersey that means we may not get a blue one.

1 hour ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

If they're going to "fix" the black jersey that means we may not get a blue one.

How do you figure that? If they're listening on criticisms to the black jersey then I'm sure they've heard the desire for an in game blue jersey. I wouldn't think it's one or the other.

I would have actually thought adding a blue in game jersey was more likely than getting them to budge on fixing the black one but here we are.

7 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

(to a cap they never actually wore in any real games fyi!)

It appears that it was worn at least once, likely on August 10, 1999, against the Baltimore Orioles. Wade Boggs made his second career appearance as a pitcher during the game.

F2cBa4l.jpg

1999 Wade Boggs Tampa Bay Devil Rays Signed Game Worn Cap

7ftzKmP.jpg

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

How do you figure that? If they're listening on criticisms to the black jersey then I'm sure they've heard the desire for an in game blue jersey. I wouldn't think it's one or the other.

I would have actually thought adding a blue in game jersey was more likely than getting them to budge on fixing the black one but here we are.

For what it's worth, I listened to the Mattingly interview and I don't think he actually indicated that the team is considering making adjustments to the black alternate. He basically stated his personal opinion that it's illegible and something needs to be done about it. Having said that, I firmly believe that this front office isn't stubborn in the way that the previous one was and will eventually opt to make the change. I'm more worried about the powers that be in the MLB marketing department holding out because the "black on black" concept was probably their brainchild in the first place.

14 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

I'm more worried about the powers that be in the MLB marketing department holding out because the "black on black" concept was probably their brainchild in the first place.

To the best of my knowledge, yes It was. This rebrand was MLB first with the team adding their input later.

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

To the best of my knowledge, yes It was. This rebrand was MLB first with the team adding their input later.

Do you have a source for this? I never knew that and it's super interesting to me. (I would give you a banana if I could)

1 hour ago, Michael Bolton said:

Do you have a source for this? I never knew that and it's super interesting to me. (I would give you a banana if I could)

A Marlins front office member, someone in charge of like promotions/marketing etc, was on a podcast after the reveal and she went into some detail about the rebranding and said MLB came to them with these concepts and the Marlins then added to that but it was MLB first.

I can try and look for it. I believe I've posted it on these forums in the past too.