MLB 2021

SportsLogos.Net News

On 5/10/2021 at 2:20 PM, Gothamite said:

Oh, yeah.  Now you're talking my language.  :lol:

This is a beautiful cap.

snapback_ath_o_forest_flat2_541x@2x.jpg?

47 Brand or New Era has to get these on the "dad" caps. I would definitely pick one up if they did that. 

On 5/10/2021 at 3:27 PM, Gothamite said:

I think you're reading too much into that cap.  47 sells a whole ton of Cooperstown Collection stuff with old logos.  I don't think anybody seriously thinks they're going to do a 1907 throwback, right?

BCPTN-RGWTT17GWSNL-NT07-HR-F_8f37bada-25

https://www.47brand.com/products/new-york-yankees-cooperstown-two-tone-47-clean-up-1

Sorry, not assuming anything, but the new era ones labelled as field of dreams feature the same arched new york

56 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

How is that different from their regular road wordmark?

Lack of an outline, but mostly that generally speaking the Yankees script logo is what appears on the back of non-on field caps.

spacer.pngspacer.png

17 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Maybe.  But 47 at least tends to use the roadmark on the back of its throwback fitteds.  Not always, but mostly.

BCPTN-FRANC17RPF-VN11-HR-B_1000x1000.pro

That's a vintage roadmark...the R's are the most noticeably different, and the N's, W,s and O's have slight differences.

New York Yankees Logo Jersey Logo (1918-1926) - NEW YORK arched in navy blue on grey. Worn on New York Yankees road jersey from 1918 through 1926 SportsLogos.Net

New York Yankees Logo Jersey Logo (1931-1972) - New York in navy on grey, worn on the New York Yankees road uniforms from 1931-1972 SportsLogos.Net

^current without the white outline

So... I'm assuming that the Diamondbacks' special jersey is going to be the purple jersey that fearless leader's season preview said their anniversary patch would be paired with?

21 hours ago, Burmy said:

MLB has given the Oakland Athletics their blessing to start looking at relocation sites...in other words, if the Howard Terminal Ballpark isn't approved, the A's are leaving the Bay.

Las Vegas is many people's clear favorite (though I'm partial to Portland).

I kinda find intriguing to see a second Canadian team.   Any of the Northwest cities seem to fit the A's brand well, but I just can't help but be amused by a future where the team's nickname is "The Athletique".

18 hours ago, Anubis2051 said:

Lack of an outline, but mostly that generally speaking the Yankees script logo is what appears on the back of non-on field caps.

spacer.pngspacer.png

18 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Maybe.  But 47 at least tends to use the roadmark on the back of its throwback fitteds.  Not always, but mostly.

18 hours ago, WSU151 said:

That's a vintage roadmark...the R's are the most noticeably different, and the N's, W,s and O's have slight differences.

Makes sense they'd go with that.   The road wordmark dates back to as close to their time as the Yankees as the current A's cap is close to their debut in Oakland.   The Yankees name didn't exist as a wordmark until a four-year stint on the roads from '27-'30 with the first incarnation of the bat and hat primary coming in the late 40's to capitalize on a peak of patriotism.

Might as well go with the common thread/oldest wordmark.

1 hour ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Makes sense they'd go with that.   The road wordmark dates back to as close to their time as the Yankees as the current A's cap is close to their debut in Oakland.   The Yankees name didn't exist as a wordmark until a four-year stint on the roads from '27-'30 with the first incarnation of the bat and hat primary coming in the late 40's to capitalize on a peak of patriotism.

Might as well go with the common thread/oldest wordmark.

Makes sense, but interesting that the film actually features a faux back that never existed:

spacer.png

It's an amalgum of the 1909-1911 jersey with the Yankees pinstripes added and the classic hat. I can't believe I've never noticed that before. I wonder why they wouldn't do a gray version of ththis, since it's fictional anyway?

2 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I kinda find intriguing to see a second Canadian team.   Any of the Northwest cities seem to fit the A's brand well, but I just can't help but be amused by a future where the team's nickname is "The Athletique".

Even though the A's have a legacy brand that has carried over from city to city, if Montreal gets a team back there's not a chance they call them anything other than Expos.

1 hour ago, Anubis2051 said:

Makes sense, but interesting that the film actually features a faux back that never existed:

spacer.png

It's an amalgum of the 1909-1911 jersey with the Yankees pinstripes added and the classic hat. I can't believe I've never noticed that before. I wonder why they wouldn't do a gray version of ththis, since it's fictional anyway?

While writing that I couldn't quite figure out what year they were going for in the film and a quick cursory glance gleaned nothing.

Looking now at the Dressed to the Nines database, the specific Sox jersey Joe wears was worn from '14-'16.   The blue collar was missing prior and it gained a more traditional plack after.   So the Yankees jersey should have the interlocking NY on the chest.

My guess?   He was the catcher.   With his hat backwards and wearing pads, they fudged it a bit and moved the logo to an old location so that he would be readily identified as a Yankee immediately.

I expect the team to wear the 1915 or 1916 away grays.   One is closer to today's with a different wordmark and one has a wordmark in the same style as the back of the hat but has road pinstripes to go against a White Sox team that will certainly wear the white pinstripes.   Even if pinstripes are their thing, I expect them to go with the more recognizable look.

9 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Even though the A's have a legacy brand that has carried over from city to city, if Montreal gets a team back there's not a chance they call them anything other than Expos.

They're the only exception.   A charter franchise whose nickname is not regionally based at all?   The A's simply CANNOT change their name.   Too much history.   And, heck, even the Dodgers kept their name.   I was honestly picturing if any change would be made an color change and the roundel changing to emulate the Expos.

lhUgKIO.png

(Cheap and dirty mockup without the colors of the A's thought through much, meant just for rough illustration)

Of course, green and yellow is one of the best sports looks possible to me, so I would love them to keep it, but if they need to change in the move, I can see this middle ground.

Oh, crap.   They're going Timbers colors if they move to Portland, aren't they?

6 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

They're the only exception.   A charter franchise whose nickname is not regionally based at all?   The A's simply CANNOT change their name.   Too much history.   And, heck, even the Dodgers kept their name.   I was honestly picturing if any change would be made an color change and the roundel changing to emulate the Expos.

lhUgKIO.png

(Cheap and dirty mockup without the colors of the A's thought through much, meant just for rough illustration)

Of course, green and yellow is one of the best sports looks possible to me, so I would love them to keep it, but if they need to change in the move, I can see this middle ground.

Well they did start with a blue & red colour scheme in Philadelphia and carried it over to Kansas City before shifting to green & yellow, so I don't think the colours are set in stone.

And I can guarantee Montreal Athletics would not go over at all, even if they changed the colours. An MLB team in Montreal will always be called the Expos, period. Just like an NBA team in Seattle will always be the Sonics, or an NHL team in Quebec will always be the Nordiques. Just remember the backlash when the Thrashers moved to Winnipeg and the rumours leaked that they wouldn't be called the Jets.

Athletics is an English word, and A's is an English abbreviation so they'd have to ditch the logo & change the caps. Also, Club Athlétique Canadien was the original name of the Habs before it was changed to Club de Hockey Canadien, so that could create even more confusion.

1 hour ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

While writing that I couldn't quite figure out what year they were going for in the film and a quick cursory glance gleaned nothing.

Looking now at the Dressed to the Nines database, the specific Sox jersey Joe wears was worn from '14-'16.   The blue collar was missing prior and it gained a more traditional plack after.   So the Yankees jersey should have the interlocking NY on the chest.

My guess?   He was the catcher.   With his hat backwards and wearing pads, they fudged it a bit and moved the logo to an old location so that he would be readily identified as a Yankee immediately.

I expect the team to wear the 1915 or 1916 away grays.   One is closer to today's with a different wordmark and one has a wordmark in the same style as the back of the hat but has road pinstripes to go against a White Sox team that will certainly wear the white pinstripes.   Even if pinstripes are their thing, I expect them to go with the more recognizable look.

Why wouldn’t they wear the 1919 uniforms from when the black sox scandal happened?

15 minutes ago, dont care said:

Why wouldn’t they wear the 1919 uniforms from when the black sox scandal happened?

Same reason my Packers would never wear throwbacks from the Forrest Gregg years.  Even if it's a reference to the movie, it's not exactly something the franchise wants to pay tribute to.

16 hours ago, NicDB said:

Same reason my Packers would never wear throwbacks from the Forrest Gregg years.  Even if it's a reference to the movie, it's not exactly something the franchise wants to pay tribute to.

The White Sox actually did wear those uniforms during the 1990 season. It was also the first throwback game in the history of sports itself. Some players even had those small hats, and if you look up the game on YouTube, Jack McDowell even loses his hat in the first several pitches because the hat is so small.

1990-tbtc-02_zrpmgez4xm651xif0r7161v5l.j

The same year that was the original Comiskey Park's final season and also the same year they debuted and wore the current look in the last games of the season, the first time I can ever recall a team debuting a new uniform in a game mid-season.

39 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Historically (IIRC) the Athletics (especially in their Philadelphia days) were not a blue and red team, but a navy and white team.

Royal and white for around 30 years in Philadelphia, but also navy and white, navy and red, red and white, and possibly black and white (can't tell for sure.) 

I think most people would say that this is their "Philadelphia era" look, but they definitely had some variations.

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1943_philadelphia.gif

PHA1944R-1_th.jpg  PHA1944R-2_th.jpg

I've never seen their rear font until just now!  Love the 2.

item_94690_1.jpg

On 5/12/2021 at 4:28 PM, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Honestly?  I think they just didn’t know what the Yankees wore. 

Remember, this was five years before Okkonen published the first illustrated history of baseball uniforms.  Very few pictures of that era were available beyond a trip to Cooperstown or bad microfiche scans of local papers. “Eight Men Out” used inaccurate road Sox uniforms because they just didn’t know any better. 

I think somebody in the wardrobe department had a blurry Yankees photo from what they thought was about the right period, and kinda fudged the details.

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

Royal and white for around 30 years in Philadelphia, but also navy and white, navy and red, red and white, and possibly black and white (can't tell for sure.) 

I think most people would say that this is their "Philadelphia era" look, but they definitely had some variations.

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1943_philadelphia.gif

PHA1944R-1_th.jpg  PHA1944R-2_th.jpg

I've never seen their rear font until just now!  Love the 2.

item_94690_1.jpg

Yep, royal, not navy. My bad. I mostly just remembered how bland it was compared to their current color scheme. 

The Hillsboro Hops (High-A affiliate of the Diamondbacks that plays ~15 minutes away from the Nike HQ) have slightly updated uniforms this year that look to be on the same template that we saw on a few Royals players during Spring Training. Notable features include a perforated mesh fabric, reinforced collar that sits on top of the placket, perforated numbers, and TPU sleeve patches and swooshes:

spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Their navy pullover jersey also has a really strange collar:

spacer.png

I think it is very likely that we’ll see something similar for the new Nike MLB template. Pretty nice overall, but not excited about the prospect of that collar on the navy pullover jersey becoming a regular thing.

• TBGKon locked this topic
  • LMU unlocked this topic
  • TBGKon locked and unlocked this topic