MLB 2021

SportsLogos.Net News

On 6/15/2021 at 4:38 PM, logo-maker said:

Those All-Star hats look like they took the team logos from what would have been the Atlanta All-Star hats (navy and red) and added purple mountain stars and the new ASG patch. A very mish-mash (cheap) way to try to salvage those former designs.

What’s the other option, though? Destroy thousands of perfectly good hats?

If this is indeed what they did, I’d argue repurposing the entire run of caps is the opposite of lazy; it’s responsible, and likely more effort from a logistical standpoint as well.

On 6/17/2021 at 6:38 AM, jp1409 said:

Cream homes, wine as the main color with athletic gold or sky blue accents would fit the Guardians name very well and would be a unique scheme in MLB.

jpeg

il_340x270.801564387_o30b.jpg

These statues have been used prominently in Cleveland marketing for less than a decade and they’re already being carelessly misnamed by designers in the home market. 🙄 I cringe every time someone incorrectly calls them the Guardians of “Traffic,” and I think naming the Team “Guardians” will only serve to complete this unfortunate transition.

On 6/17/2021 at 6:46 PM, EddieJ1984 said:

If I have the choice of whether the Indians change the colors of navy & red or getting rid of the horrible plain block C and font they have used the past couple years, I would glady have them keep using navy & red.

What exactly is “horrible” about a 120-year old baseball team using plain block lettering?

14 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

If this is indeed what they did, I’d argue repurposing the entire run of caps is the opposite of lazy; it’s responsible, and likely more effort from a logistical standpoint as well.

These statues have been used prominently in Cleveland marketing for less than a decade and they’re already being carelessly misnamed by designers in the home market. 🙄 I cringe every time someone incorrectly calls them the Guardians of “Traffic,” and I think naming the Team “Guardians” will only serve to complete this unfortunate transition.

What exactly is “horrible” about a 120-year old baseball team using plain block lettering?

What are they if not the Guardians of Traffic. That is all I’ve ever heard them called or just guardians.

33 minutes ago, dont care said:

What are they if not the Guardians of Traffic. That is all I’ve ever heard them called or just guardians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope_Memorial_Bridge#cite_note-3

https://www.ideastream.org/news/exploring-the-history-and-popularity-of-cleveland-s-guardians-of-traffic

Seems like that IS their name, unless there is a better source with a different answer? 

I'm definitely on team "new colors," because navy and red is so played out in baseball. Couldn't blame them for sticking to it, since they need the city to buy in, but I'd love at least a tweak, whether it's purple/plum for navy or pink for red. Greens and blues fit the area as well.  I'd prefer they not depend on the Browns/Cavs for their scheme, but overall I want something classy with energy. Doesn't have to be too complicated, but we need iconography beyond the Block C.

15 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Maybe other members on the board noted it as lazy (I noted it as cheap, as in design, add-ons for the repurposing). I would rather they  use these unused caps for a patriotic holiday sans ASG mark (since it looks like the replaced those on the caps anyways) and have players use their regular caps for the All Star Game.

57 minutes ago, dont care said:

They seem to go by both depending on who is talking about them.

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/35444#:~:text=The Guardians of Transportation are mythic figures carved,sidewalks allow puny pedestrians to marvel with envy.

https://www.ideastream.org/news/exploring-the-history-and-popularity-of-cleveland-s-guardians-of-traffic

https://clevelandhistorical.org/items/show/73 (Cleveland Historical Society)

4 hours ago, dont care said:

3 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope_Memorial_Bridge#cite_note-3

Seems like that IS their name, unless there is a better source with a different answer? 

I'm definitely on team "new colors," because navy and red is so played out in baseball. Couldn't blame them for sticking to it, since they need the city to buy in, but I'd love at least a tweak, whether it's purple/plum for navy or pink for red. Greens and blues fit the area as well.  I'd prefer they not depend on the Browns/Cavs for their scheme, but overall I want something classy with energy. Doesn't have to be too complicated, but we need iconography beyond the Block C.

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

They were always the “Guardians of Transportation” when I was growing up, and then about 5-10 years ago, “Guardians of Traffic” started popping up everywhere. Case Western claims this to be the official name, but I’m skeptical for two reasons:

One, because half the vehicles depicted on the sculptures make little sense in the context of the word “traffic” (particularly the Conestoga-style wagon, the hay wagon, the stagecoach, and the cement mixer), and two, “traffic” has negative connotations for people, while “transportation” has that air of idealism typically seen in the naming of public art from this era.

“Guardians of Transportation” is going to disappear soon enough, though, so I might as well get used to it. Sounds like I was the one whose been wrong this whole time, against all common sense. 😂

2 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

They were always the “Guardians of Transportation” when I was growing up, and then about 5-10 years ago, “Guardians of Traffic” started popping up everywhere. Case Western claims this to be the official name, but I’m skeptical for two reasons:

One, because half the vehicles depicted on the sculptures make little sense in the context of the word “traffic” (particularly the Conestoga-style wagon, the hay wagon, the stagecoach, and the cement mixer), and two, “traffic” has negative connotations for people, while “transportation” has that air of idealism typically seen in the naming of public art from this era.

“Guardians of Transportation” is going to disappear soon enough, though, so I might as well get used to it. Sounds like I was the one whose been wrong this whole time, against all common sense. 😂

Is “Guardians of Transit” a good compromise?

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

Is “Guardians of Transit” a good compromise?

When I think "transit", I think public transportation or mass transit (subway, bus, train, trolley, etc.) not cars.

?m=02&d=20210620&t=2&i=1566359711&w=640&

yesterday the Reds wore all red hats on the road for the first time since, IDK, 1998 (other than throwback games)? I think they were special Father's Day hats because they had a red undervisor, but I've wanted them to lose the black-billed road hats since going to their current uniforms in 2007 so it was a welcome sight. 

2 hours ago, Sport said:

yesterday the Reds wore all red hats on the road for the first time since, IDK, 1998 (other than throwback games)? I think they were special Father's Day hats because they had a red undervisor, but I've wanted them to lose the black-billed road hats since going to their current uniforms in 2007 so it was a welcome sight. 

I've wanted them to ditch black in general since forever

The Reds have done nothing significant with the color since 2006. Do they even wear black caps anymore? They should really consider just dropping black at this point. Leaving it as a drop shadow adds nothing. It only muddies the look. 

23 hours ago, Sport said:

It hurts to report that they were back in the black-billed caps again last night.

The worst part is the batting helmets are all red and have been since 2007. Just wear the hat that matches them!

22 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

I've wanted them to ditch black in general since forever

20 hours ago, insert name said:

The Reds have done nothing significant with the color since 2006. Do they even wear black caps anymore? They should really consider just dropping black at this point. Leaving it as a drop shadow adds nothing. It only muddies the look. 

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The dropshadow is so bad.  Ruins a gorgeous cap.

Every single Reds fan that I know wants them to go back to their strictly red and white color scheme. I hoped the throwback bonanza they held in 2019 would serve as a test to gauge how new uniforms would be received, especially the late 60's look that received rave reviews on social media, but so far there's no indication that any changes are coming. I'm still waiting. 

A realization that broke my little brain the other day - the home and road uniforms have gone unchanged since they went to them at the start of the 2007 season, which means they're now in year 15 of these uniforms, which is one year longer than the 1993 pinstriped hats/vests (6 years) and 1999 BFBS vests (8 years) lasted COMBINED. That does not compute. 

• CS85 locked this topic
  • CS85 unlocked this topic