MLB 2021

SportsLogos.Net News

2 hours ago, Sport said:

Every single Reds fan that I know wants them to go back to their strictly red and white color scheme. I hoped the throwback bonanza they held in 2019 would serve as a test to gauge how new uniforms would be received, especially the late 60's look that received rave reviews on social media, but so far there's no indication that any changes are coming. I'm still waiting. 

A realization that broke my little brain the other day - the home and road uniforms have gone unchanged since they went to them at the start of the 2007 season, which means they're now in year 15 of these uniforms, which is one year longer than the 1993 pinstriped hats/vests (6 years) and 1999 BFBS vests (8 years) lasted COMBINED. That does not compute. 

What bugs me is they are literally so close to being really good. If they just got rid of the black, their current set would be really good

Yes, just drop black and it's a great set. The old block "Cincinnati" is fine, but I really like the current road font. I think it's a neat font that really ties into the team.

Also, white outlines 4 lyfe!

4 hours ago, Sport said:

It hurts to report that they were back in the black-billed caps again last night.

The worst part is the batting helmets are all red and have been since 2007. Just wear the hat that matches them!

Be careful - they might make the batting helmet match the cap 🤮

That would still be better than what they’re doing now. The Reds and A’s both have mismatching helmets (in the A’s case, they have TWO mismatching helmets) and it’s so freaking annoying. Pro clubs should be able to splurge a bit for matching g helmets or just wear the one cap that matches your one helmet. 

4 hours ago, Sport said:

Every single Reds fan that I know wants them to go back to their strictly red and white color scheme. I hoped the throwback bonanza they held in 2019 would serve as a test to gauge how new uniforms would be received, especially the late 60's look that received rave reviews on social media, but so far there's no indication that any changes are coming. I'm still waiting. 

A realization that broke my little brain the other day - the home and road uniforms have gone unchanged since they went to them at the start of the 2007 season, which means they're now in year 15 of these uniforms, which is one year longer than the 1993 pinstriped hats/vests (6 years) and 1999 BFBS vests (8 years) lasted COMBINED. That does not compute. 

Some bad designs linger. The Brewers somehow held on to their worst uniforms ever for twenty years. 

All the Reds need to do is just eliminate the black, add a pinstripe alternate with a white pinstripe hat and you have a good modernization. I'm not even asking for them to change the wordmarks and number font, that can stay cause it's cool with me.

16 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Some bad designs linger. The Brewers somehow held on to their worst uniforms ever for twenty years. 

In this case it's a matter of ownership's taste and how much they care about fan input. Bob Castellini bought the team in 2006 and they changed to the current brand as soon as they were able to. For a while these uniforms were fine because they were an improvement over the 99-06 uniforms (*waits for some lunatic to disagree with this*). If you squinted they kind of resembled the Reds again and we were cool with that. But after a while the small issues that I initially brushed aside became larger and more visible. The over-designed font (that looks ridiculous when used with a long name like CASTELLANOS, for instance), the drop shadows, the unnecessary black-billed road cap - it all just got kind of...stale. It's worse now when we know how good they could easily look if they wanted to. 

The uniforms are kind of a glimpse into ownership's approach to roster management. Like how they've spent a lot of money to build one of the best offenses in baseball, but didn't want to spend just a little more to invest in a functional bullpen so they have this shiny, flashy looking team that loses games by blowing 5 run leads. These current uniforms are the 78-84 of baseball uniforms. They work fine enough to keep people watching and coming to the ballpark, but they'll never win anything. 

Depite the ASG caps being ugly has hell, New Era did do a good job with the Astros in avoiding the double star.

Houston Astros All-star Game 59FIFTY Fitted | Houston Astros Hats | New Era Cap

All ASG caps now up on neweracap.com

Two editions of the Rockies hat...the ugly one and the one they should have gone with:

?context=bWFzdGVyfHJvb3R8MjUzMDA1fGltYWd

Colorado Rockies All-star Game 59FIFTY Fitted | Colorado Rockies Hats | New Era Cap

3 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Depite the ASG caps being ugly has hell, New Era did do a good job with the Astros in avoiding the double star.

Houston Astros All-star Game 59FIFTY Fitted | Houston Astros Hats | New Era Cap

All ASG caps now up on neweracap.com

Rockies are the only team without a red logo and looks like they also got a black hat instead of navy:

Colorado Rockies All-star Game 59FIFTY Fitted | Colorado Rockies Hats | New Era Cap

They do have a red logo cap. Wonder if new era just doesn't have it on the site?

https://news.sportslogos.net/2021/06/24/2021-mlb-all-star-game-uniforms-unveiled-will-be-worn-in-game-for-first-time/baseball/

Not sure I understand the floral pattern on the jerseys. Doesn't seem to fit Colorado. Unless it is something Atlanta-Georgia related that they just kept? Seems more fitting for a tropical location.

4 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

They do have a red logo cap. Wonder if new era just doesn't have it on the site?

https://news.sportslogos.net/2021/06/24/2021-mlb-all-star-game-uniforms-unveiled-will-be-worn-in-game-for-first-time/baseball/

Not sure I understand the floral pattern on the jerseys. Doesn't seem to fit Colorado. Unless it is something Atlanta-Georgia related that they just kept? Seems more fitting for a tropical location.

They do have it up on the site, I just didn't see it until later, and I didn't see the mothership news. 

The jerseys are just hideous, but clearly made for the Atlanta game. "Every team should have three letters like ATL" isn't tired at all. 

21 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

They do have it up on the site, I just didn't see it until later, and I didn't see the mothership news. 

The jerseys are just hideous, but clearly made for the Atlanta game. "Every team should have three letters like ATL" isn't tired at all. 

[sarcasm]But you aren't from TLA (three letter acronym). It means something different to us here[/sarcasm]

I would say the Jersey's are bad looking even if the game was still in Atlanta, but being in Colorado and they are even more dumb.

And THESE are the first ASG specific jerseys to be worn in a game.

I normally would say why wouldn't they do different hat colors for the AL teams,  tho this year they would've been red, so it would've even looked more janky.

They really should've just mothballed these since they changed it to Colorado and just had the players in their normal hats and jersey's for the game.

It's weird that the Cubs are the only team not using their cap logo on the jersey.

It's an unpopular opinion I guess, but I've never liked players wearing their regular uniforms for the All Star Game, whether it's in the NBA or MLB.  These jerseys aren't great, but at least the players will match each other. 

Overlapping the team logo over the abbreviated name is a bit of a strange choice, especially considering most team's logo is the same letter(s) that's in the abbreviation. The best looking ones either use a letter from their nickname as the logo or no letter at all (Toronto, Oakland, Minnesota, Baltimore).

Ick. The teams with monogram logos (which is most of them) look especially bad because of the redundancy of putting them over other letters that stand for the city's name.

Who do they actually expect to buy this garbage?

If it was for the Home Run Derby I wouldn't even give these terrible jerseys a second thought, but they want them worn during the game for the first time ever... Woof. I know it's a small problem in the grand scheme of things, but it really is emblematic at how utterly out-of-touch MLB is with its own fanbase, and how bad their people's decision-making skills are in general.

EDIT: but on the flipside I guess it makes MLB The Show more realistic; matter of fact the only baseball video games I've ever seen get the "ASG players wear their own jerseys" thing right was MLB Power Pros.

7 minutes ago, Cujo said:

May Colorado never get the All Star Game again

Yikes. Big yikes.

This isn't the fault of Colorado getting the game, this is the fault of them getting the game only a couple of months before it.

I'm sure if they get a multiple years headstart like every other city does the designs would be way better. 

Those uniforms are an aesthetic nightmare. I don’t even care to watch the game if that’s what they’re trotting out in. I’ve seen U-15 accelerated teams with “ZZ”s at the end of thier name wear better uniforms than these. 

• CS85 locked this topic
  • CS85 unlocked this topic