MLB 2021

SportsLogos.Net News

2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

of course they were.   In order to have them available for sale now, these uniforms were manufactured before Atlanta lost the game, much less designed. 

I'm not really questioning this, but are you saying that they went back and replaced all of the Atlanta sleeve patches with Colorado ones? How would that work exactly from a manufacturing standpoint?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Brian E said:

the jerseys are the retail tail wagging the on-field dog.

i would be willing to wager that the "work out" jerseys weren't selling for two reasons: 1) they weren't worn for the home run derby in 2018 and 2019,  so they got basically zero visibility. when that program first started, i was a teenager, and my friends and i wanted the "home run derby jersey" of our favorite player. now...why would one be compelled to buy it? especially because, 2) they aren't rendered in team colors. so, think about if you're a mets fan and you own a 2008 david wright ASG work out jersey. it's basically a yankees batting practice jersey with david wright's name and number. when are you going to wear that to a game?

so now nike can say, "hey, look. not only is it commemorative, it's multi-purpose. it says 'NYM' on it, so you can wear it to a regular season game and not look out of place. the red/navy/white color scheme lends itself to a good portion of teams' color palettes. it's gotta be what they're banking on. 

and yeah, they look like garbage.

The Red & Navy is soley because the game was going to be in Atlanta.

1 hour ago, bosrs1 said:

Wow, these ASG jerseys are amazing... they've actually found a way to make the godawful City Connect jerseys look better. I didn't think that was possible but here we are. 

Honestly the only thing I can conclude from Nike's latest offerings is that they hate baseball and want it to fail. 

It would've been the same with UnderArmor.

16 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Yep, and that’s really what this comes down to. Colorado isn’t to blame for any of this, as it looks like they were going to be used regardless of location. The fact that the MLB had planned to go with these at all - whether in Atlanta or elsewhere - is awful.

If that's the case, can someone from Atlanta tell us the significance of the floral design? Is it some tropical destination? Is there a large Polynesian population I don't know about? Are flowers really popular in Georgia?

I guess if I decided to vacation in Georgia (or Colorado), my first thought wouldn't be to grab my Hawaiian shirt and jump on a plane. 

Just now, EddieJ1984 said:

The Red & Navy is soley because the game was going to be in Atlanta.

yeah, probably, but if they sell well, don't be surprised if they stick with it under the guise of the old red/america, blue/national thing.

sig2024.png

3 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

If it was for the Home Run Derby I wouldn't even give these terrible jerseys a second thought, but they want them worn during the game for the first time ever... Woof. I know it's a small problem in the grand scheme of things, but it really is emblematic at how utterly out-of-touch MLB is with its own fanbase, and how bad their people's decision-making skills are in general.

EDIT: but on the flipside I guess it makes MLB The Show more realistic; matter of fact the only baseball video games I've ever seen get the "ASG players wear their own jerseys" thing right was MLB Power Pros.

Goated video game right there. Give me an MLB Power Pros 2021 and I’ll buy it over The Show 21 every day of the week and twice on Sundays. 

spacer.png

11 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

I'm not really questioning this, but are you saying that they went back and replaced all of the Atlanta sleeve patches with Colorado ones? How would that work exactly from a manufacturing standpoint?

It probably was time consuming, but I’m confident that’s exactly what they did.

I know from working with the Brewers that throwback jerseys have to be locked down about the middle of the previous season.  They get manufactured in the off-season. 

52 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

It would've been the same with UnderArmor.

Yep, which begs the question why they ever switched from Majestic. I'd never seen any issue with the Majestic kits. And they didn't deface them with their own damn logo. 

12 minutes ago, EddieJ1984 said:

The one thing I do like is the 2 button pullover style , and wouldn't mind if some teams went with that style if pullovers ever came back.

Couldn't disagree more. It's like a shirt that can't decide what it wants to be, a pull over or a button up. Ends up looking like the baseball jersey equivalent of a dicky. 

4 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

If it was for the Home Run Derby I wouldn't even give these terrible jerseys a second thought, but they want them worn during the game for the first time ever... Woof. I know it's a small problem in the grand scheme of things, but it really is emblematic at how utterly out-of-touch MLB is with its own fanbase, and how bad their people's decision-making skills are in general.

EDIT: but on the flipside I guess it makes MLB The Show more realistic; matter of fact the only baseball video games I've ever seen get the "ASG players wear their own jerseys" thing right was MLB Power Pros.

Yeah that's the real kicker. Of all the "All Star Jerseys" over the years, they kill the tradition of teams wearing their own gear... with THIS?! Talk about picking the absolute worst time to make that particular unwanted change. 

6 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Yep, which begs the question why they ever switched from Majestic. I'd never seen any issue with the Majestic kits. And they didn't deface them with their own damn logo. 

1. They're hardly "defaced." That's just hyperbole.

2. I guess MLB wanted to try to get a deal like the other leagues, for that kind of marketing? IDK. 

Either way, it looks tacky and further demonstrates how the post-strike years have reduced the standing of the majors at the national level. At least we'll get another strike next year?

PLEASE don’t let this happen when the game comes back to Los Angeles. We’ve waited FORTY YEARS PLUS for it to return to The Racine and we don’t want it ruined with bull-ish like this.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

6 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

They do have a red logo cap. Wonder if new era just doesn't have it on the site?

https://news.sportslogos.net/2021/06/24/2021-mlb-all-star-game-uniforms-unveiled-will-be-worn-in-game-for-first-time/baseball/

Not sure I understand the floral pattern on the jerseys. Doesn't seem to fit Colorado. Unless it is something Atlanta-Georgia related that they just kept? Seems more fitting for a tropical location.

This is all definitely a situation mimicking the NBA All-Star game from this season (which, ironically, was moved TO Atlanta). Not Colorado's fault at all. It was probably easier to adjust the caps on a short time frame than the jerseys (production/logistical issues I am guessing). It's just sad that the unique pieces of the Rockies' branding won't be on display (i.e.: purple, mountains,, etc.). Bad design and understandable logistics aside, I'm just really bummed. 

But yeah, that whole jersey design from the unusual floral pattern to the big red vertical lettering is just not good. That Atlanta branding was really good looking, and the fact that they took all of that to make this mess is unfortunate. Navy/Red/Cream is good looking as a combo, but not like this.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

I was going to say that outside of being garbage the biggest crime of the ASG jersey is that it's $400.  Now that I see it's being worn in the game that takes it to a new level of bad.

The one thing I always loved going way back to my childhood in the stone age was being able to see all the uniforms during player introductions at the ASG.  Since that's now going away I have zero reason to watch unless I want to watch pitchers get strip searched on live tv.  So thank you Rob Manfred for continuing to take the joy out of baseball.  

Archived