MLB 2021

SportsLogos.Net News

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the "Los Angeles" Angels have done is waste the career of the least-engaging superstar in MLB history. They're looking to utterly waste the career of their next (far-more engaging) superstar, too. Hopefully Ohtani has more of a spine than Trout and flees Arte's team as soon as he can.

Hell, the only reason Arte even changed the name is because he wants to suckle on the LA teat, despite LA baseball being pretty dominantly Dodgers-focused and Anaheim still effectively being in the LA media market anyways. It's the equivalent of bashing the team's head against a brick wall for a while and hoping the skull doesn't shatter into pieces.

It wasn't to right a wrong, all it amounted to was Arte wanting all of the money instead of most of it. The Anaheim Angels name has more substantive things for the franchise attached to it than either other name does, even as much as Arte wants to try and bury it; and since you're not winning a fight against the Dodgers for popularity in LA, you may as well just embrace the local region so you have something besides "the Dodgers' cheaper little brother" as a marketing ploy.

Just now, Silent Wind of Doom said:

At least with the way things are going up by the Bay the argument of "They can't go back to California Angels with another team in the state" will be null and void.

I mean, the Giants still exist even if/when Oakland :censored:s off to Vegas. 😛

2 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

I mean, the Giants still exist even if/when Oakland :censored:s off to Vegas. 😛

As do the Dodgers, but I believe the thought in most people's minds who are against that name as long as Oakland exists only find it pertains to the league rather than the sport.

But if you're not going to go Anaheim, the only choice that makes sense is the state name.   The Twins knew that.   The Panthers knew that.   The Hurricanes knew that.   Pick no sides.

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

Hell, the only reason Arte even changed the name is because he wants to suckle on the LA teat, despite LA baseball being pretty dominantly Dodgers-focused and Anaheim still effectively being in the LA media market anyways. It's the equivalent of bashing the team's head against a brick wall for a while and hoping the skull doesn't shatter into pieces.

It wasn't to right a wrong, all it amounted to was Arte wanting all of the money instead of most of it. The Anaheim Angels name has more substantive things for the franchise attached to it than either other name does, even as much as Arte wants to try and bury it; and since you're not winning a fight against the Dodgers for popularity in LA, you may as well just embrace the local region so you have something besides "the Dodgers' cheaper little brother" as a marketing ploy.

I always wondered if Arte did himself a disservice by changing the name to Los Angeles Angels. Yes superficially it makes it seem like he's part of a bigger market, which he was already part of anyway. But fan wise, their fanbase is largely in Orange County. Yet if there's one thing I know about Orange County residents, they HATE being lumped in with LA. I know quite a few people from that area, and the only thing they all have in common is that they jump on you immediately if you say they live in LA. Frankly I've always found it an odd phenomena since most places' suburbs don't mind being lumped in with the large city they're in proximity to. 

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

I know; BBTV was saying he wouldn't know what ANA was, but it's not something that was just made up, as it's used in hockey. 

I'd know what it was with the added context of an Angels or Ducks logo, but if someone just said something like "I'm going to ANA next week", I wouldn't know what that was.  The 3-letter thing just doesn't work for everywhere.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I'd know what it was with the added context of an Angels or Ducks logo, but if someone just said something like "I'm going to ANA next week", I wouldn't know what that was.  The 3-letter thing just doesn't work for everywhere.

OK - it's not like it's MKE where you wouldn't be lead into saying Milwaukee by pronouncing those three letters. If you start to say "Ana" out loud, aren't you sorta gonna end up with "heim"?

It's where I sit.

3 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

OK - it's not like it's MKE where you wouldn't be lead into saying Milwaukee by pronouncing those three letters. If you start to say "Ana" out loud, aren't you sorta gonna end up with "heim"?

If not for the sports teams, I would never even think of "Anaheim" as being a place that exists.   I guess I won't know until I see ANA somewhere and someone asks "what city is that"?  

Even MKE - yeah, I'm sure I'd figure that it's Milwaukee (or is there a Mike , but MIL would be a no-brainer.    They should have just put LA on it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

If not for the sports teams, I would never even think of "Anaheim" as being a place that exists.   I guess I won't know until I see ANA somewhere and someone asks "what city is that"?  

Even MKE - yeah, I'm sure I'd figure that it's Milwaukee (or is there a Mike , but MIL would be a no-brainer.    They should have just put LA on it.

Ummm, there's this little company that has a theme park that pre pandemic hosts multi millions of people from around the world every year in ANA. 

10 minutes ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

Ummm, there's this little company that has a theme park that pre pandemic hosts multi millions of people from around the world every year in ANA. 

Never been to the park. No interest in it. I sure know it exists and where it is.

It's where I sit.

36 minutes ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

Cool.  Not sure what that changes.  Without any context, ANA means nothing.  I don't really care what park that I've never thought of going to is there, it's not a city I ever hear mentioned outside of the sports world... and that's basically never, now that the Angels have dropped it. 

35 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Cool.  Not sure what that changes.  Without any context, ANA means nothing.  I don't really care what park that I've never thought of going to is there, it's not a city I ever hear mentioned outside of the sports world... and that's basically never, now that the Angels have dropped it. 

But there's already the context that it is a place. 

It's where I sit.

30 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

But there's already the context that it is a place. 

how? Without the team logo, it could be an abbreviation for anything. American Noodling Association?

Point is, the caps and asg jerseys that force 2 or 3-letter abbreviations for all cities are dumb. We can Continue to debate whether I know what ANA is without context, but I already know the answer to that, so any debate is futile. 

17 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Frankly I've always found it an odd phenomena since most places' suburbs don't mind being lumped in with the large city they're in proximity to. 

A lot of it has to do with politics. Orange County leans in a completely opposite direction from Los Angeles County.

25 minutes ago, Quillz said:

A lot of it has to do with politics. Orange County leans in a completely opposite direction from Los Angeles County.

Let's just say the Angels red and Dodger blue are quite appropriate....

Do the people of Anaheim have some sort of inferiority complex? Did they have any issues when the LA Rams and California Angels played there?

Anaheim is a weird one for me. I much prefer that the Ducks and Angels use "Anaheim", yet, I also tend to lean toward having a a moniker in which people can say, I am going to (destination) and the general public understands. 

I classify Anaheim as a suburb much like Arlington is to Dallas. Just a plot of land in which there is not much to distinguish or separate that the metro center. 

You could at least say San Francisco and Oakland has that separationn or even Brooklyn has some kind of distinction. 

I saw, I came, I left.

In the case of Anaheim, there has historically been a racial component to the Orange Curtain.   And yes, that component was reflected in its politics. 

I am assured that’s not so much the case any more, if only because Orange County has itself become much more brown in the past few decades, but that is where a lot of the animus originated.

it is absolutely in and dependent upon the Los Angeles metroplex but there has long been a great reluctance to admit that.  And for all their efforts, I don’t think they’ve managed to achieve a SF/Oakland it NYC/Brooklyn kind of relationship where the smaller identity is strong enough to stand on its own. 

Archived