MLB 2021

SportsLogos.Net News

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

I like Spiders but I just don't see them going for it. It's not the same franchise, doesn't connect to the city which is seemingly a prerequisite nowadays, and would they want to be connected with the worst team in history? 

If we're looking at past names the Indians had, I like Lake Shores and Bluebirds a lot, though I doubt either is on the table for obvious reasons. Maybe they could strike a deal with the NHL and resurrect the Barons 🤷‍♂️

The Colorado Rockies share their name with a former franchise from entirely different sport. I'm sure Cleveland Spiders would be okay.

10 hours ago, McCall said:

The Colorado Rockies share their name with a former franchise from entirely different sport. I'm sure Cleveland Spiders would be okay.

Are people okay with the Nationals winning or would they have preferred the Senators?  

On 10/29/2020 at 4:03 AM, VandyDelphia Mike said:

So this, minus the all-star game doodads?

new_era_59fifty_baseball_all_star_game_p

21 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

Yup...but in their standard cap color.

In other words, something the KC Royals would were if they relocated to Los Angeles.  Except for the gold squatchee/squatcho.

On 10/29/2020 at 6:07 PM, DEAD! said:

"Cleveland Baseball Team"

No. That plain block word mark sucks and they'd be to lazy to come up with something different.

On 10/29/2020 at 7:26 PM, insert name said:

I don't get that whole argument "Cleveland Spiders have the worst record". 

Because that's the first thing people point to, that's why Spiders has a negative connotation.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 10/26/2020 at 8:08 AM, SilverBullet1929 said:

Yes! The Braves' three stripe headspoon feels very much "theirs" and needs to be on all their jerseys. It's one of the minor details of MLB uniforms that is always overlooked but it's great. The way it even goes over the belt loops on the pants is fabulous.

I would agree and add that the red-billed cap and even the old striped socks from the Boston Braves should all be signature elements on every uniform. Vertically arched names, too, while we're at it. Having all that going on helps take your eye off the Braves being yet another navy/red team. 

In the past I've suggested a dark red for the Indians as a way to set them off. Trying to continue with that: what about barberpole midnight blue/dark red socks as a signature element? That way they're not really blue socks nor red socks, they're both. Or would that make them look like Dr. Seuss characters? Worth exploring.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Info on the Indians’ plans from Terry Pluto. 

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2020/11/fans-love-to-watch-in-indians-on-tv-whats-up-with-team-name-terry-talkin-tribe.html

A change will be coming. Here is what I’ve been hearing:

1. At some point in the next few months, the Indians will announce “we plan to change the name."

2. They will not announce the name without working to engage fans, sponsors and others in finding a new name for the franchise.

3. It won’t be a simple change to “the Tribe.” They want to move away from anything close to a Native American reference.

4. The team also is learning it’s hard to figure out what is the best decision. It’s one thing to say, “OK, we’re not the Indians anymore.” Then what? That’s why the NFL’s Washington franchise is the Washington Football Team as they try to decide the next move.

5. When they do announce a change will be coming, it won’t happen until 2022. They will play as the Indians in 2021.

Because that's the first thing people point to, that's why Spiders has a negative connotation.

It’s the first thing baseball geeks point to.  Because it’s the only thing to point to.  Which goes away immediately when the AL club adopts the name. 

2 hours ago, CitizenTino said:

I'll miss the name but I'm glad they're not rushing it and haphazardly switching to "Cleveland Baseball Team" or something equally stupid. After the Skins and Eskimos I was afraid a trend might start

Honestly I'd take my chance with America's dog-brained attention span and lie low for a few more weeks, even odds everyone stops fighting the culture war once they have real power back and you can just go on being the Indians without Chief Wahoo.

5 hours ago, the admiral said:

I would agree and add that the red-billed cap and even the old striped socks from the Boston Braves should all be signature elements on every uniform. Vertically arched names, too, while we're at it. Having all that going on helps take your eye off the Braves being yet another navy/red team. 

In the past I've suggested a dark red for the Indians as a way to set them off. Trying to continue with that: what about barberpole midnight blue/dark red socks as a signature element? That way they're not really blue socks nor red socks, they're both. Or would that make them look like Dr. Seuss characters? Worth exploring.

I don't know why, but the three-stripe headspoon looks much busier on the red and blue alternated than it does on the white and gray jerseys. Single-color piping allows the wordmark to stand out more on the alternates rather than blending into the trim.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

27 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Listening to people and letting them decide how they are represented is not a “fighting a culture war”. 

Please dismount your trademark high horse for a second and lay out for us all things which are and aren't the culture war.

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Honestly I'd take my chance with America's dog-brained attention span and lie low for a few more weeks, even odds everyone stops fighting the culture war once they have real power back and you can just go on being the Indians without Chief Wahoo.

The team barely made a splash when they announced they'd consider a change, so they could probably get away with it for years longer if they really wanted to. Doesn't mean the decades long debates over Native mascots will simply disappear, even if American appetites for racial equity can be satiated by caricature free syrup bottles and rice boxes.

On 11/1/2020 at 2:02 PM, slapshot said:

I don't know why, but the three-stripe headspoon looks much busier on the red and blue alternated than it does on the white and gray jerseys. Single-color piping allows the wordmark to stand out more on the alternates rather than blending into the trim.

I agree with this. It’s probably because the red & navy are closer in value than white, which stands out a lot more when it’s one of the colors of the stripes.

Not to self-plug, but I think there’s a way the Braves can keep the three-stripe headspoon across all jerseys while not being as glaring on the alternates:

DphEkYi.png

If you keep the navy/red/navy consistent across every jersey, it keeps the striping pattern the same while managing to be more subtle on the alternates.

15 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Not to self-plug, but I think there’s a way the Braves can keep the three-stripe headspoon across all jerseys while not being as glaring on the alternates:

If you keep the navy/red/navy consistent across every jersey, it keeps the striping pattern the same while managing to be more subtle on the alternates.

Agreed completely.  That's like what the Brewers do on their road jersey sleeves - just wish they were consistent with the headspoon.

pjimage-4954.jpg

21 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Agreed completely.  That's like what the Brewers do on their road jersey sleeves - just wish they were consistent with the headspoon.

I would rather the Brewers have no headspoon on either jersey than to bring it onto the away, but yes, the consistency of the sleeves is nice. 

Archived