MLB 2021

SportsLogos.Net News

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How long will it take New Era to unknowingly produce an upside down Memorial Day,  Fourth of July, Armed Forces Day, Flag Day or whatever patriotic holiday hat they make with an upside down flag?

There's nothing wrong with navy over navy or black over black for an MLB team.  I think I prefer a contrasting belt, but same color might work too.  The jersey design is some absolute trash, but otherwise, the mono is fine.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, SSmith48 said:

Is it a sin that I kind of dig the navy-over-navy going on for the AL right now? The general look is pretty slick. The rest of the uniform itself... well the less said the better. A shame it ruins a nice jersey/pant combo.

One thing I actually liked was the light colored piping on the navy pants. That actually looked sharp

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

The MLB is trying hard to hold on, just hold on MLB. The City uniforms and now these terrible All-Star uniforms. Hopefully it all dies down and gets back to normal. Not counting the dumb city uniforms this year, the MLB looks the best it's looked, team for team in a loooooong time. Mainly due to the Padres, Brewers and Diamondbacks cleaning up their act.

2 hours ago, joekono said:

The MLB is trying hard to hold on, just hold on MLB. The City uniforms and now these terrible All-Star uniforms. Hopefully it all dies down and gets back to normal. Not counting the dumb city uniforms this year, the MLB looks the best it's looked, team for team in a loooooong time. Mainly due to the Padres, Brewers and Diamondbacks cleaning up their act.

I agree with everything you are saying, but I'm not hopeful. One only has to look at the past few years in the NBA to see what a mess Nike can turn a league into, uniform-wise, and over in that league there doesn't seem to be any sign of things turning back or even slowing down.

This MLB season, Pandora's box was opened pretty wide, and as you said we've seen it with the unconventional City uniforms and the All-Star uniforms. I don't see things getting back to "normal" anytime soon. Not until maybe in a decade from now, at the earliest.

One idea that gives me hope, I guess, is that a lot of uniforms were kind of crazy and unconventional in the 70s and early 80s, and then sort of returned to looking a little more conventional in the late 80s and early 90s, before eventually leading to what we have today, meaning that uniform craziness can be cyclical and there IS some precedent of things going from "weird" back to "normal."  But with Nike in charge, who knows where things are headed...

GET YOUR COLORED BRITCHES HERE ! GET YOUR COLORED BRITCHES HERE !  Get those concepts updated with mono sets. I liked the AL's dark britches, Get ready for more of these in the future. 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

these ASG unis were obviously bad.  as others have said, it really nuked  the aesthetic of the game and made it feel drab. 

if i'm going to resign myself to the idea that AL/NL unis, are here to stay, at least do something that looks nice. i, too, am not going to automatically dismiss mono-dark colored uniforms, but the execution has to be better. 

sig2024.png

I think I've started to come around to monochromatic baseball uniforms as long as they have contrasting socks. When the socks are the same color as everything else though, it ends up looking terrible. The Cubs certainly had the right idea with their city uniforms, but the AL looked bad because no one wore short pants and the socks were navy.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

I don't like ASG league uniforms. Part of the appeal of the ASG for me was seeing the different uniforms, especially when the players lined up on the baselines during intros. I even liked when the A's would wear different-colored tops among their own players.

15 minutes ago, GriffinM6 said:

I think I've started to come around to monochromatic baseball uniforms as long as they have contrasting socks. When the socks are the same color as everything else though, it ends up looking terrible. The Cubs certainly had the right idea with their city uniforms, but the AL looked bad because no one wore short pants and the socks were navy.

i agree with this. i also feel like mono uniforms (that aren't white or gray) look worse the baggier they are. 

sig2024.png

just spitballing here, but what if MLB and nike tried to get the best of both worlds?

they could go with a base national and american design. maybe for next year, it's white jerseys/pants for the NL, grey jersey/pants for the AL. both jerseys have contrasting front numbers in honor of the dodgers being the host. use a dodgers-inspired 'national' and 'america' wordmark, but render the script and the trim in the colors of the team that player is representing.  so, say for the mets: 'national' script in royal with an orange outline. front number in orange with blue outline. hats could also be in team colors, but with 'N' and 'A' fronts. then let the players get crazy with accessories to throw in that visual flair. 

sort of solves two problems: 1) you get that visual rainbow that's great about the ASG/pride for hometown fans in seeing their players rep their team's colors, and 2) nike/MLB have fresh inventory to sell. and i bet they'd sell even more knowing the look would fit in among other non-ASG fan gear.

sig2024.png

1 hour ago, cheo25 said:

I don't like ASG league uniforms. Part of the appeal of the ASG for me was seeing the different uniforms, especially when the players lined up on the baselines during intros. I even liked when the A's would wear different-colored tops among their own players.

Back in the late '80s, when I was a kid growing up in Minnesota and we only had three channels, the only baseball I got was Twins road games (home games weren't on TV then), the occasional national game, and episodes of "This Week in Baseball." 

The ASG was the one time a year I got to see what a Montreal Expo looked like during a live telecast. 

Seeing those uniforms on TV, to me, is as big of an attraction as the all-stars themselves. Watching them all in special ASG dress-up ruins it for me.

Archived