Jersey/Logo/Sports Merchandise Stories

Do you have any funny, interesting, cool, awkward stories about jerseys, logos, etc? 

For example, while I was working at my school’s campus store, a mother and daughter came in to shop around. The daughter was wearing a Babe Ruth jersey, a logo-less, pinstriped, jersey with the number three on the back. I asked her if she was a big Yankees fan or a Babe Ruth fan. She had no idea what I was talking about. Her mother mentioned that her son was in a musical (Damn Yankees?) and played Babe Ruth, hence the jersey. The daughter just happened to like the look of the jersey. I mean I feel like she knew who Babe Ruth was, but I’m not 100% on that...

There also was another time where I told someone that I liked their hat with the Minnesota Wild logo on it, and they were like, “Oh thanks! It’s like trees and stuff.” And then when I told them that it was the Wild, they had no clue that there was a Minnesota hockey team, let alone that they were wearing the logo on their hat. 

What are other stories that you have? I’m sure there’s a lot from our niche interest here...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Could be a fun thread, so even if I don't have a long story here's my little contribution.

As a kid I had Miami Dolphins baseball caps and a shirt or two, yet for almost a decade had no idea what they actually were. (Didn't know what the helmet on the dolphin was for, just liked orange and dolphins)

Only found out when a friends older brother asked me why I'm wearing American Football gear if I didn't like the sport.

When I was young I collected the gumball size MLB helmets. A local arcade I frequented had them available as prizes, and I'd usually trade in my tickets for a few of them each time. The final helmet I needed for my collection was that of the Florida Marlins. I asked the "cashier" for the Marlins helmet, and he put it in the bag. When I took it out later, I didn't find a bright, teal Marlins helmet, but a dark, navy Mariners helmet. The guy mixed up his teams and I was too shy to go back and correct him.

Grade school me wore a Green Bay Packers hat and carried a Dallas Cowboys lunchbox to school because I had no idea what either of them were.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

On 9/29/2020 at 12:26 PM, Bmac said:

When I was young I collected the gumball size MLB helmets. A local arcade I frequented had them available as prizes, and I'd usually trade in my tickets for a few of them each time. The final helmet I needed for my collection was that of the Florida Marlins. I asked the "cashier" for the Marlins helmet, and he put it in the bag. When I took it out later, I didn't find a bright, teal Marlins helmet, but a dark, navy Mariners helmet. The guy mixed up his teams and I was too shy to go back and correct him.

Ah, the dreaded Dave Magadan problem. 

Even though the Mariners and Marlins have names that start with the same letters and both employ not-dissimilar shades of bluish green, I had no problem keeping them straight. But the two trades of Dave Magadan back and forth between these teams broke whatever organising mechanism my mind had been employing, and forever doomed me to saying "Mariners" whenever I intend to refer to the Marlins.

Generally on the thread topic: I grew up around aunts who did not know the difference between the Yankees' insignia and the Mets' insignia. They would see me or my brother wearing a cap when we were kids, and ask, "Is that a Met cap or a Yankee cap?" My brother and I would just look at each other with our mouths open in shock.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Five or so years back, I was wearing my old Wisconsin Timber Rattlers hat at a summer collegiate baseball game in Okotoks, Alberta. The seats I was in were in the second row next to the visitors dugout and the on-deck batter would be directly in front of us and the visiting team was from Fort MacMurray, Alberta. Part way through the game, thee Fort Mac player who was on-deck turned to me to ask about my hat and why I had it because it turns out he was from Appleton, Wisconsin, which is where the Timber Rattlers play. So this guy is playing summer baseball in a different country and runs into a person wearing his local minor league team's hat.

Three summers ago, I was in Polly's Pancake Parlor in Sugar Hill, New Hampshire (if you are ever there, they have a pancake sampler on the menu and I would recommend getting the gingerbread pancakes as one of your choices) wearing a Stampeders t-shirt when an older man came up to me and asked about my shirt. I said I was from Calgary and he said he had been in Calgary for the '88 Olympics and liked the city, but he hadn't been back since.

IbjBaeE.png

16 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

When I was a kid I wore a Dodgers helmet around fisherman's wharf once not knowing of any rivalry. From what I remember it wasn't too well received haha

Why were you wearing a helmet at fisherman's wharf?

The Hamilton Bulldogs' alternate jersey leak from a couple years ago that was posted to the mothership and is now everywhere? That's me in the picture. 

rwlmz0vm7lzz.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&au

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

During a vacation to Las Vegas In 2012, my family and I went to old Cashman Field to check out the nightcap of a 51's double-header. I wore a blue alternate 51's jersey that I got just before the trip, and, because of that, some concession workers thought I was a bat boy, and I got my food and drink for free (or for a pretty steep discount; I don't remember which off the top of my head).

In general, the vibe around the place was pretty strange. For instance, when we arrived shortly before the second game of the double header, there was no one selling tickets or working the stadium gates. We waltzed right in for free.

On 10/8/2020 at 4:52 PM, dmmdoublem said:

In general, the vibe around the place was pretty strange. For instance, when we arrived shortly before the second game of the double header, there was no one selling tickets or working the stadium gates. We waltzed right in for free.

That's kind of interesting.  Growing up here in Denver when we had a Triple A team when I was in high school I'd been around the stadium enough to know exactly what gate and about what time to show up and be able to walk right in... it was like the 4th inning or so they would leave the gates open and leave it unattended... I saw a lot of free baseball that summer.  

On 9/29/2020 at 11:26 AM, Bmac said:

Wow.  I have a very similar story to that.

When I was a kid (before the Marlins existed!) Dairy Queen sold helmet sundaes.  I tried to collect as many teams as I could.  The stores tended to have about a third of the teams at a given time.  So I ordered my sundae and asked what teams they had.  The girl behind the counter looked down at the stash located under the register and started naming teams.  I selected the Cardinals, which I'd had yet to acquire.  Out comes the ice cream in a Cincinnati Reds helmet. I was dejected, since I already had the Reds.  But I didn't have it in me to squawk.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 10/2/2020 at 9:53 AM, nash61 said:

Grade school me wore a Green Bay Packers hat and carried a Dallas Cowboys lunchbox to school because I had no idea what either of them were.

Good thing you're not from either Wisconsin or Texas

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I once got dirty looks and a snide comment at a fast food restaurant in Clemson, SC because I was wearing a garnet and gold Winthrop jacket on the same day Clemson was hosting Florida State. I laughed at them.

I also would frequently get my San Francisco 49ers hat mistaken for a Georgia Bulldogs hat while living near Clemson.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I'll admit, this isn't ground breaking.. but many years ago, I wore a Mighty Ducks jersey to work - it was for a charity event where everyone wore something sports related.

You wouldn't believe how many people asked if I liked the movie, and 99% of them didn't know it was a real team.

Archived