Stanley Cup Final Uniform Swaps 2.0 (Update: 2007 SCF)

TheLAKnight

Three years ago, I started a topic where I swapped the uniform styles of the two teams playing in the Stanley Cup Final. The matchups from 2008 to 2017 were posted. 

Now, it's back starting with the 2020 Stanley Cup Final between the Tampa Bay Lightning and the Dallas Stars. As before, I tried to use elements from Team 1's past to recreate the logos of Team 2. If a color is shared by the two teams, it remained unchanged even if the teams use them differently (primary vs secondary).

In this first matchup, the Stars' uniforms feature almost no black like the Lightning's uniforms. The only black is found on the stars along the pant legs. One thing that wasn't stated in the previous thread is that I kept the numbers from a team's actual uniforms. So, Dallas's single layer numbers stay on their new set. Getting back to their pants design, since it would difficult to have just one star in place of Tampa's lightning bolt, it is replaced by 3. This also provides a call back to the North Stars pants from 1988-91.

Tampa's uniforms feature the letters TB from their BOLTS wordmark with added points to shape them into something that looks like a lightning bolt. Honestly, I think the Lightning's numbers look better on the Stars template, especially on the white jersey.

spacer.png

spacer.png  spacer.png

spacer.png  spacer.png

Additional logos for the sets include each team's roundel shoulder patch and a Florida version of the Stars Texas logo used on their pants.

spacer.png  spacer.png  spacer.png

C&C appreciated as I work on more of these.

These are great! I'm a big fan of your new Dallas logo, and you nailed the right amount of silver for Tampa Bay. I think the bolt needs to be more clearly a bolt in the TB logo though. The D is right over the slightly slanted star for Dallas. I think a quick fix would be to put the TB right over the bolt from the original logo, and then add the silver to it. That would incorporate the signature jagged edge of the bolt that helps identify the team. I think the roundels are great too, and that Florida logo is perfect.

Guest darkpiranha

Brilliant!  But agree that Tampa needs a tweak.  What about overlapping the T and B where they share the long edge, giving the bolt a thinner profile.

19 hours ago, rjrrzube said:

Brilliant, but I think TB would look better with one more jagged turn at the bottom so it's clear this is a lightning bolt.

The simplified Stars looks pretty sweet.

14 hours ago, Megildur said:

These are great! I'm a big fan of your new Dallas logo, and you nailed the right amount of silver for Tampa Bay. I think the bolt needs to be more clearly a bolt in the TB logo though. The D is right over the slightly slanted star for Dallas. I think a quick fix would be to put the TB right over the bolt from the original logo, and then add the silver to it. That would incorporate the signature jagged edge of the bolt that helps identify the team. I think the roundels are great too, and that Florida logo is perfect.

13 hours ago, darkpiranha said:

Brilliant!  But agree that Tampa needs a tweak.  What about overlapping the T and B where they share the long edge, giving the bolt a thinner profile.

Tampa's logo was definitely the most challenging aspect. I think the left side gets the bolt look across, the width across the top of the B makes it tough to see the lightning as a true bolt. I had a few other options that I'm going to go back to in order to get something more recognizable across.

The first one places a bar on Tampa's current logo to make it into a T. The problem here was that the logo is too slender and very wide on its own. Adding a B on the bottom might help, but then it runs the risk of becoming too bottom heavy. The other 2 are slight variations of the existing concept. One just removes the top spike and the other attempts to have a more jagged right side by shrinking the upper half of the B.

spacer.png   spacer.png   spacer.png

The last time the Stanley Cup was awarded in front of fans was back in June 2019, just over one year ago, but it feels like a decade ago at this point. In that Final, the Boston Bruins faced off against the St. Louis Blues.

In order to better match the Blues use of 3 colors and white, I added brown as a substitute for royal blue with black replacing the navy blue elements. Luckily, the black and brown sections rarely interact, so that there aren't too many dark blobs all over the jerseys. Short of using the silhouette of a bear or its head, I opted to the B from the Bruins logo in place of the musical note. To replicate the lines of the wing, I used 4 slashes as teams with bear mascots are wont to do. The inside of the collars is the color of the flag of Boston with a small roundel because St. Louis does something similar with their jerseys (see below).

In contrast the new Bruins set gaining a color, the Blues drop navy blue and focus on just royal blue and gold. Because the Blues don't have any secondary logos or a strong enough wordmark, I kept the blues note instead of a B or StL logo. In doing so, I was able to use this note as the focal point of a round design taken from the flag of St. Louis. The Blues currently use a portion of this design on the inside of their collars. The spokes from the Bruins logo become the rivers from the flag and the fleur-de-lis becomes the note.

spacer.png

spacer.png  spacer.png

spacer.png  spacer.png

Only one secondary logo to showcase and it appears on the shoulders of the Blues' jerseys. The Bruins secondary logo for comparison.

spacer.png

In 2018, the Vegas Golden Knights advanced to the Stanley Cup Final in their inaugural season. They fell to the Washington Capitals though as the Caps claimed their first Cup victory.

For Vegas, I had to figure out which colors to include and how to use them. Gray is obviously their primary color, but to match the Caps look, the pants need to be a different color from the jersey. So the jersey became gold because I couldn't make a Golden Knights concepts and not use gold. The biggest difference from the Capitals logo was placing the stars, one of Vegas's signature elements, in between the words golden and knights. There was too much empty space, and the stars helped fill that space in.

Vegas's uniforms use 4 different colors, yet Washington only uses 2. In order to add a metallic color and another in place of red, the Caps 1995-2007 bronze and blue colors. The new Capitals logo uses the Weagle in place of the helmet over top the shape used on their 40th anniversary logo. On the bronze section of the sleeves, there are stars similar to the sagebrush on the Knights' jerseys.

spacer.png

spacer.png  spacer.png

spacer.png  spacer.png

Vegas's new secondary logo is just their helmet by itself. That logo and the Weagle are inverses of one another as it is. The helmet is has a V in the negative space, while the Weagle is a W with the Capital building in the negative space. For the Caps jersey, a star with wings replaces the Vegas star with crossed swords.

spacer.png  spacer.png

I'm still working on fixing the Lightning logo from this year's final, but in the meantime, we're jumping back to the 2007 Final between the Anaheim Ducks and Ottawa Senators. This project, and most of the ones that I'll be posting from here on out, was left half done for years before I came back to it.

This was the season that the Ducks dropped the Mighty and switched to a color scheme of black, bronze, and orange. This new set of colors worked really well for this scenario: orange replaces red and bronze replaces gold in the logos. Because the Senators had mismatched home and road uniforms, the same had to be done for the Ducks. In this case, elements from their recently retired Mighty Ducks years needed to be incorporated, not just in the logos, but also the name and numbers. The white uniform uses the primary ducks mask as it's closest to the 2D senator's face while the dark uniform uses the forward facing duck mask from their secondary logo to match the Sens 3D logo.

The Senators return to black as their primary color. The logo reaches slightly into the future to their 2008-11 SNES jersey. It already matched the upwards tilt of Anaheim's wordmark and it's a shortening of the original team name. The city name was added over top to complete the look.

spacer.png

spacer.png  spacer.png

spacer.png  spacer.png

The Ducks uniforms already came with two separate primary logos, but the white uniform and pants also have versions of the Senators dual winged S's. The only alternate logo for the Senators set is found on the helmet. 

spacer.png  spacer.png  spacer.png

Archived