Best Quarterback Numbers

gwl144

Not really about "design" or the logo itself, but where would you rank the quarterback numbers? Based on aesthetics, success, and just the quintessential quarterback number. What's your favorite number to see on the jersey of a quarterback? 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, 12 has always been the quintessential QB number.  Namath, Bradshaw, Stabler, Staubach, Griese, Cumningham and Kelly all wore it.  More recently, of course, Brady, Rodgers and Luck among others have worn it.  12 just seems right for a starting QB.

On 9/29/2020 at 6:52 AM, DNAsports said:

Jake Delhomme, Jason Campbell, Doug Williams, Josh Allen and Ryan Tannehill are notable ones too. Daniel Jones even wore 17 at Duke

Don't forget that Jake wore 12 with the Saints before going to the Panthers, and Doug Williams was 12 everywhere until he went to the Washington Football Team. 12 has always been my lucky number.

I just noticed that I can't use Washington's original nickname when I did this. That was slick.

PersonDivided-2-1.png

1 hour ago, pokecat12 said:

Don't forget that Jake wore 12 with the Saints before going to the Panthers, and Doug Williams was 12 everywhere until he went to the Washington Football Team. 12 has always been my lucky number.

Kurt Warner wore 12 while he was a camp body for Green Bay his rookie season. He even wore 10 for his first(?) season with the Rams. Most people only remember him wearing 13 from Iowa Barnstormers until his retirement with the Cardinals. The point I’m trying to make is yes 12 is the pinnacle QB number, but there are those who deviate from it and find success with other numbers.

On 9/29/2020 at 5:52 AM, DNAsports said:

Jake Delhomme, Jason Campbell, Doug Williams, Josh Allen and Ryan Tannehill are notable ones too. Daniel Jones even wore 17 at Duke

Compare those names to the list of 12s and ask yourself if that post was necessary 😁

Tongue in cheek I would say 6 since that's how many points you get for a TD.

It's where I sit.

13 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Compare those names to the list of 12s and ask yourself if that post was necessary 😁

Tongue in cheek I would say 6 since that's how many points you get for a TD.

He couldn’t name more than one QB17 (Rivers). I raised him six. Totally necessary for the sake of argument. I like 17 as a QB number 🤷🏻‍♂️

51 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

He couldn’t name more than one QB17 (Rivers). I raised him six. Totally necessary for the sake of argument. I like 17 as a QB number 🤷🏻‍♂️

He was listing GOOD QBs.

I'll give you Doug Williams and Josh Allen.

It's where I sit.

8 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Is Tannehill not having a resurgence with Tennessee?

Side Note- I’m seriously considering buying a Josh Allen jersey or shirt

Please re-read the names in @Echo post and ask yourself if Tannehill and his resurgence belongs in that group.

If you do, I can't help you. 

It's where I sit.

Joe Namath was the origin of 12 as the "glamour" number for QBs.  Then every Super Bowl winning quarterback from 1971-1979 wore the number, thus cementing its status.  Then you throw in Brady and Rodgers over the past decade and any other number as an answer to this question is a reach at best.

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

Those are 12s.

I’m talking about 17s.

michael scott wink GIF

So what you are saying is that the guys wearing 17 don't hold a candle to the guys wearing 12. That makes 12 a better QB number than 17.

go ahead and gif me

It's where I sit.

19 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

So what you are saying is that the guys wearing 17 don't hold a candle to the guys wearing 12. That makes 12 a better QB number than 17.

go ahead and gif me

What I’m saying is I prefer 17 to 12 regardless of the stature the latter holds.

The original question was “What’s your favorite number to see on the jersey of a quarterback?” I even stated multiple times that I don’t question the number 12 to be the pinnacle of QB numbers. Again, I simply and aesthetically prefer to see QBs wear 17.

Archived