Best Quarterback Numbers

gwl144

17 is just an "ugly" number.  I don't think of speed when I think of 17.  I think of guys like Steve DeBerg and David Krieg.  It might be a good number if your style is more like Peyton Manning, but I think "statue".  Same with 18.  Those numbers were mostly the 3rd-string guys that couldn't get one of the "glamour" numbers.

I think 16 is the best of both worlds.  It's double digits, an even number, and just feels "faster" than 12.  So regardless of who's worn it in the past (obv Montana), it just seems like a great mix of the classic 12 and a speedy number.

Adults just don't look right in 10 to me.  I have no idea why, but I see it as a kid's number.  No rational reason for it.

Single-digit QBs that weren't 7 were very rare when I was a kid.  I think Steve Walsh was one of the first to break the mold and go with 3 and 4.  Then Bubby Brister with 6. 

Single digit non-7s seemed to really take off after Favre became a star.

2 is a bad number for a QB.  Leave it for the kickers.  

11 is another good number that, like 16, conveys both pocket presence as well as speed.  You may not get that by looking at the guys that made it famous (Simms, Rypien) but that's what it looks like to me.

So - without taking solely into account who wore the number, and just mostly going by an aesthetic, here's my ratings:

16 = conveys the best overall combo of classic-pocket QB with the speed to make plays with legs.  Total package.

12 = classic pocket QB.  Don't care that Cunningham wore it - I think of a classic textbook QB.

7 = also classic QB number.  "Lucky 7" is often a desired number in sports, so makes sense the starting QB would get it.  Could be a classic pocket guy like a 12, but also a speedster like Vick.  Much like 16, it's very versitile.

13 = like 12, but with an edge.  Great number.

11 = see 16, but I prefer even numbers.

9 = the "12" of single-digits.  Not as "fast" a number as 7, so conveys more of a pocket type presense.  Nick Foles, Drew Breese.

17,18 = tall, slow, statue-esque guys.  Better be good if you're going to wear one of them.

2 = dumb number.  Leave it for the kicker or punter.

1 = has to be the right guy.  Could come off as a 'look at me', but not necessarily.  Must have confidence in your ability.  Helps if you're fast.  Better left to a little guy like a kicker or punter.

3, 4, 6, 8,10 = OK for some guys.  Don't feel strongly one way or the other.  I do tend to think of 1-6 and 8 as 'kids' numbers.  Something about an adult football player in 10 just doesn't look right to me.

5,15 = ugly number for a qb.

19 = Bernie Kozar was he only player I can recall wearing it.  Doesnt' seem desirable for a qb to have.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really depends how the number looks on certain QBs. IMO, 12 looks good on most, which explains why it's such a highly utilized number. There are some cases where the number doesn't feel right (Mahomes with 15, Tua with 1).

Also worth noting is the font style. Block looks good for arguably every number but some custom fonts butcher them.

2 hours ago, Dynasty said:

It really depends how the number looks on certain QBs. IMO, 12 looks good on most, which explains why it's such a highly utilized number. There are some cases where the number doesn't feel right (Mahomes with 15, Tua with 1).

Also worth noting is the font style. Block looks good for arguably every number but some custom fonts butcher them.

This. The bold part. Every time I look at Mahomes, the 15 just looks super awkward.

Also, @BBTV your analysis is a little bit too much to quote, but I think I agree for the most part. I still think I’d group 11-13, 16, & 17 as the pinnacle of great looking QB numbers. The more I think about it, I’d classify 16 as a “gunslinger” QB number

Also, Joe Montana wore 19 while with KC

spacer.png

Maybe it's just me being a relatively young Panthers fan, but 1 has become the QB number for me. When I think of quarterback, I think of them wearing 1, though 12 is certainly more iconic.

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 hour ago, QCS said:

Maybe it's just me being a relatively young Panthers fan, but 1 has become the QB number for me. When I think of quarterback, I think of them wearing 1, though 12 is certainly more iconic.

When you think "of quarterback"?  You mean when you think of "one very specific quarterback".  Come on, man - it's cool if you think 1 is a good number for a quarterback, but let's not pretend that your frame of reference extends past watching your favorite team.  Is there even one other example of a notable quarterback that's worn #1 in the modern era?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 minutes ago, BBTV said:

When you think "of quarterback"?  You mean when you think of "one very specific quarterback".  Come on, man - it's cool if you think 1 is a good number for a quarterback, but let's not pretend that your frame of reference extends past watching your favorite team.  Is there even one other example of a notable quarterback that's worn #1 in the modern era?

This. I can only think of Tua in Miami as being the only other notable QB wearing 1 within the decade. Considering Tua hasn’t even started his career, he could very well switch digits. Also, his college number was 13. Which is obviously retired in Miami. Plus, 1 wasn’t even Newton’s first choice. It was 2, but at the time he entered the league it was in use by Jimmy Clausen who apparently refused to give it up.

As I was typing this, I remembered Kyler Murray as the third #1 in the league. That was his number in college so it’s not like he was forced to choose it. That’s passable.

1 is just an odd number for a QB to choose anyway. As someone pointed out earlier, it could come off as cocky and “I’m better than everyone else”.

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

No, absolutely, it's influenced by Cam. That's what I was saying, because of when I started watching and what team I watch, 1 has become the number I think when I think quarterback. Again, I totally acknowledge that 12 is the QB number, but for me personally, completely shaped by Cam, the generic QB number is 1 to me.

the user formerly known as cdclt

11 hours ago, Hat Boy said:

Hall of Fame QB Warren Moon

Oh boy.  That's an embarrassing miss by me.

It's still not a common number, and certainly doesn't have a "personality".   Now that receivers can wear teens, we'll probably never see another QB sport it.

Which brings me to another point: There's numbers in the teens that are just quarterback numbers, and IMO look bad when receivers wear them.

Example:

12: no receiver should ever wear 12.  It looks all sorts of wrong.

14: same with 12

15: it's just a bad football number regardless of position. 

16: not a bad receiver number, but I'd prefer for it to be reserved for QB.

10, 11: same as 16.  Let the receivers have 17, 18, 19, and leave the others for QBs.  There's plenty of numbers in the 80s to support limiting receivers to those numbers.

32 minutes ago, BBTV said:

It's still not a common number, and certainly doesn't have a "personality".   Now that receivers can wear teens, we'll probably never see another QB sport it.

Which brings me to another point: There's numbers in the teens that are just quarterback numbers, and IMO look bad when receivers wear them.

Example:

12: no receiver should ever wear 12.  It looks all sorts of wrong.

14: same with 12

15: it's just a bad football number regardless of position

16: not a bad receiver number, but I'd prefer for it to be reserved for QB.

10, 11: same as 16.  Let the receivers have 17, 18, 19, and leave the others for QBs.  There's plenty of numbers in the 80s to support limiting receivers to those numbers.

Bart Starr and Patrick Mahomes say hi.

It's where I sit.

I only follow one team, so for me it's #15 and #7.  Got us three national titles in five appearances and a Heisman.

tommie-frazier-u4?fit=crop&fm=pjpg&q=60& eric-crouch-football-players-american-ph scott-frost-football-players-american-ph

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

On 10/7/2020 at 1:55 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

Bart Starr and Patrick Mahomes say hi.

Doesn't mean it's a good-looking number.

8 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Mark Rypien says Hi

He's on the list of worst QBs to win a SB.  Not at the top, but on it.

Archived