Heavy vs. The NCAA ((Part 145 - The Kings of Nothing)) THREAD COMPLETE!

heavybass

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a new team to post today but before we go ahead....

Got to finally sort out the Redhawks so...

ACtC-3fSWjAo7WU2uaNEfgqKZkHabSvHtXDX9mIE

ACtC-3enlTUFn9z01kErplLMWzGpe6mtCChfqurt

Hopefully that should be that... which now moves us to the main event today, this was the 2nd longest independent team in college football and this lasted until 2014 where they accepted an offer from the American to play football there....

Now they have better opponents in spite of destroying tradition... these brave men are known as the...

NAVY MIDSHIPMEN

ACtC-3c5UViXUzyZiyEPBuIvnE0gis7w0J6qIb4Y

ACtC-3fAQXDVLFpLgdBrAWbsuMB3OBHUiPUxwIKS

These are used against their conference rivals and non-associated games where they are used... but their alt is special because they use it for two special games.... they use this against their long term rivals... The Air Force and their sworn enemies, the Army.

ACtC-3davyOkpZeiXNkdH80Pk6kCuVBQt_AUY83r

This beautiful Alt is used regardless if it's home or road against the Falcons and the Black Knights

And finally we have reached 100 teams... time to unleash the Black Knight!

NO NOT THAT ONE!

The Knights of West Point aka...

ARMY BLACK KNIGHTS
ACtC-3ea3KIXE30Li0CsLb1L9OOQ7i6lUbjDTIXX

ACtC-3dJkGu9GP_vg6ZHRyxKPdf_M9jrALzX3djE

These two are the set that the Army uses against their regular opponents... however when they play the Air Force and their most fierce rival the Navy.... they have two special sets.

ACtC-3dGmNvLm5uxSjgk7ZVi12RTQKuOE0MoNTwE

The one on the left is used against the Air Force whilst the one on the right is used against the Navy.... since Navy is usually the last game on the college calender, I don't normally have the passion or the time to create a Army/Navy series but pairing the Army's Black against the Navy's White seems to be a good start.

• 1 month later...

Oh hey welcome back to this thread.... it's been nearly 2 months at this point, I figured I get things back on track.... and we're going to do it with Group 5 teams in particular the C USA... where two texas teams primed for either Big 12 or targetted by the Sun Belt... it remains to see that these two are unique...

First we offer the more traditional said concept...

UTEP MINERS
ACtC-3fjTbp9QhGePTZz8235CqZStSamPcw6kt3A

ACtC-3cXgVm2e9EqL1G_wO8RyensUZo9qhr10HJH

ACtC-3cIBCYwxHjR43L59racGbvcxWNcpzycTSJ8

And then we go to San Antonio where Roadrunners go....

MEEP! MEEP!
AL9nZEWVB8kI4xhpSHGgMkqQpN6sd8RThDXPCIth

AL9nZEXvLg6GkLOv-rJW8x8yL4gGFSDU9j8HwO0T

AL9nZEV_jtrTu0SxtYxBAb8nVcasu1umA-41q102

I was doing the sleeves in that fashion... when I got the idea to do a sort of tie-dye effect to the pants... there is no 'mono' effect here.... I use three colors and that's all.

• 2 weeks later...

Moving onto the Power schools and back into the Big 12 we go for the first of the Texas Schools.... so what happens when you have poor recruiting, bad sponsors and generally a bad uniform? You get the Red Raiders.... unfortuately for these guys they aren't good so...

I did the best I could.
ACtC-3e9rlWzB2C4-3rslUoNO9EcAqUobZ-yAj4x

ACtC-3ffX369lMLBLPqYQSi4K9oB2K3CvscWS6m2

ACtC-3f1xN459lbDRwmFmQhTkh4HANbSac5pE52w

Whilst some of you might argue that their whole Gun Show motif of recent years has been improvements... Under Armor whilst does good for some uniforms, when it comes to Texas Tech... they basically throw crap together in a design concept and considering how terrible their uniforms are, well I tried to make good of a bad scenario.

Eventually they are going to want new sponsors and maybe a return to a classic look of some kind... possibly borrow 80's/90's Falcons and make Red Raiders proud again, I might consider doing this if people want me to retool the Red Raiders.

22 hours ago, heavybass said:

Moving onto the Power schools and back into the Big 12 we go for the first of the Texas Schools.... so what happens when you have poor recruiting, bad sponsors and generally a bad uniform? You get the Red Raiders.... unfortuately for these guys they aren't good so...

I did the best I could.
ACtC-3e9rlWzB2C4-3rslUoNO9EcAqUobZ-yAj4x

ACtC-3ffX369lMLBLPqYQSi4K9oB2K3CvscWS6m2

ACtC-3f1xN459lbDRwmFmQhTkh4HANbSac5pE52w

Whilst some of you might argue that their whole Gun Show motif of recent years has been improvements... Under Armor whilst does good for some uniforms, when it comes to Texas Tech... they basically throw crap together in a design concept and considering how terrible their uniforms are, well I tried to make good of a bad scenario.

Eventually they are going to want new sponsors and maybe a return to a classic look of some kind... possibly borrow 80's/90's Falcons and make Red Raiders proud again, I might consider doing this if people want me to retool the Red Raiders.

I hate to say it, but this seems really uninspired.  The double T has 3 colors, but each uniform only uses 2 colors.  Additionally, Tech uses its own unique font, so maybe using that would work better.  Hopefully this doesn't come across as too harsh, as I really am enjoying most of your work on these!!

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, Yee Yee Go 'Stros! said:

I hate to say it, but this seems really uninspired.  The double T has 3 colors, but each uniform only uses 2 colors.  Additionally, Tech uses its own unique font, so maybe using that would work better.  Hopefully this doesn't come across as too harsh, as I really am enjoying most of your work on these!!

Yeah I figured as much... I'm going to do an updated Atlanta Falcons look for the Tech

Look, I've got a few things to say that I've held back on for months now. Most of your concepts fail to improve upon what teams have in real life. Most concept of yours looks exactly the same, with some of the same issues being repeated over and over again. Almost every concept you make with a team with more than two colors fails to properly use them. Striping patterns are uninspired or implemented poorly. Number font is always a standard block. I can perfectly imagine what every single concept will look like before I load the page. Every time you try something outside the box, it looks weird and doesn't fit at all. Texas Tech is one of the more egregious examples. You've taken a team with several decades worth of historical looks to try and emulate, and a current look that's unique and fits the team well, and yet you've turned them into a bland, two-tone mess that looks more like a diet arena league version of Wisconsin than Texas Tech. You say you want to emulate the Atlanta Falcons, but it's nothing close to anything the Falcon have ever worn. Why even emulate the falcons? There's no rhyme or reason behind it, especially when the execution is this bland and uninspiring. You need elements that make each team distinct. You need elements that make sense with the team. You should try to improve what already works and doesn't work with a uniform set the team has had before. You need to take more time and care to make sure that everything fits. I get it, uniforms are hard to get right. My uniforms used to fall prey to these same issues. But you may want to rethink the way you make uniforms, especially when you're taking on projects of this size and uniforms are the star of the show. I really don't mean to sound rude at all, but I've felt this way about your concepts for months now. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. There's a lot of room for improvement. Keep in mind, you've got a handful of good concepts and ideas, but you really need to address some of the issues with your work before trying projects this big.

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

43 minutes ago, heavybass said:

I don't know what I can say really. 

Admittedly, I was a bit too harsh. This thread, especially the first 4 or 5 pages, has some better concepts than I gave you credit for. I think I'm mainly thinking of your NFL and expansion threads and some of the more recent concepts. Regardless, a lot of them still need some work. You have a lot of talent and some good ideas, but being a bit more responsive to feedback and paying closer attention to detail will pay off in the long run. I get not being super jazzed about receiving criticism like this, but I assure that I'm trying to help you hone your skills and improve on what you're doing well. Hopefully what I've said helps in one way or another. 

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

Funny a few hours go by and I get ideas... so I retooled the Red Raiders and as I said before, I would use Atlanta Falcons as a template BUT I didn't say which Atlanta Falcons era though... for the Red Raiders of Texas, there was one era that defined toughness, that defined meanness, that defined what made Texas Tech great.

The 90's in particular I am refering to the Dirty Birds of the late 90's... noted for Black, Black, Grey. One era of the Red Raiders defined this look...

THE ERA OF ZACH THOMAS
ACtC-3cGsWWhPK8yHLwkEnqi1Mls3X3o5Be-JAI9

ACtC-3fbakqz0z0OD7_n5C21l5SyOO_XFYvj_DHI

ACtC-3dPwFEQq-NDm78KXnF6J6lu1NKLwxZMLu8P

The idea here is what I call a mix and match, where 3 helmets, 3 shirts and 4 pants are interchangeable between each other, thus able to create different varients of the Red Raiders... adding silver to the mix in pants form is different I can tell but the logo has 4 colours, so I am adding that to the pile.... plus silver helmets and shirts for red raiders would not fly, I tried to come up with something but alas it doesn't work.

Trust me this is not Oregon, nobody wants to be that designer :censored: like the Ducks are.

Seems that people are sated for now (hopefully? I can't tell) So I am going to move onto the next team.... we return to the ACC where another basketball giant that has an average football team? I'm talking about a member of the infamous triangle of the Carolinas....

THEM DEVIL BOYS OF DUKE
ACtC-3eHym1nYL07CxOdQYnyG5mqmyMT02-QJRYk

ACtC-3ffcrV31jB1e2xBeAV9ibB9S67IfZ5uiK6t

ACtC-3dCIdOK5674HwRqlWqzFhBPujPxRWxHxCl1

When you get into a creative rut in the football department, sometimes different sport teams of the same school usually have good ideas and this can be the same for the Devils... the more successful basketball team designs have made their way onto the football team and using the same three colors that the Indianapolis Colts recently embraced minus the silver is the way to go.

The infamous Duke Blue goes alongside Duke White and Duke Black alongside the giant D helmets are used to try and bring agression back to the football team.... when they are not clobbered by everyone else per say.

Archived