XFL 2023: Third Time's the Charm!

officeglenn

I look at it as three separate leagues that just happened to use the XFL name were / will be attempted.  The lack of success of the previous two has nothing to do with the third.

• Like 6

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

22 hours ago, BBTV said:

I look at it as three separate leagues that just happened to use the XFL name were / will be attempted.  The lack of success of the previous two has nothing to do with the third.

Agreed, the first one was a trainwreck.  2nd one had promise, but thanks Covid.  If 3rd iteration can have the same momentum as the 2nd it should have a fighters chance.

• Like 6

On 7/8/2021 at 5:13 PM, TBGKon said:

Agreed, the first one was a trainwreck.  2nd one had promise, but thanks Covid.  If 3rd iteration can have the same momentum as the 2nd it should have a fighters chance.

I concur, I think XFL 2.0 was starting to make inroads and get start building solid fanbases (see the crowds at the games in STL, Seattle, Houston, and DC and how big, loud, and enthusiastic they were even after the  first weeks) . Even as someone who lives in the NYC metro and with a crowded sports landscape, both in teams and of fans of varying teams, I noticed people actually talked about the XFL and were legitimately interested in it. I have seen people wearing NY Guardians shirts, and talked about going to games. That is not often the case with established MLS/WNBA/College Teams, let alone spring alternative football leagues. 

If they can return as many of the XFL 2.0 markets and teams as possible, devote the proper resources to starting up this league correctly and get decent broadcasting distribution like they did last time, I do believe they legitimately have a chance of carving out a space in  the American sports calendar annually. 

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 11:34 AM, Skycast said:

Hard to have any enthusiasm for something that's a year and a half away. Not to mention it's the third try for the XFL.

And I don't see it succeeding the third time, either. Then it will have a fourth relaunch. And so on. If it succeeds, great. But I just don't ever seeing it work out. For all the faults the NFL has, it's also clear that people don't really want anything much different. If ratings of other football attempts are anything to go by.

• Like 2

I still don't know why people are saying "relaunch".  It's like saying the 99 Browns were a relaunch, or the new Sonics were a relaunch.  They're new entities that just happen to share a name.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

I still don't know why people are saying "relaunch".  It's like saying the 99 Browns were a relaunch, or the new Sonics were a relaunch.  They're new entities that just happen to share a name.

Because it is a relaunch.

verb
  1. reintroduce or restart (something, especially a product).
    "he relaunched the paper as a tabloid"
noun
  1. an instance of relaunching something.
    "a relaunch of the first Dior perfume"

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

wut? It's the same league now owned by a different group. They have the history, the record books, the trademarks and copyrights.  What else is there that makes an entity an entity?

What do the new owners actually retain other than the ip?  It's not like there's franchises, or players that are signed, or really any tie to the former league other than the name and logo.  Maybe some tackling dummies or blocking sleds.

They're basically starting from scratch, just with a pre-made logo.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BBTV said:

What do the new owners actually retain other than the ip?  It's not like there's franchises, or players that are signed, or really any tie to the former league other than the name and logo.  Maybe some tackling dummies or blocking sleds.

This is the same as when the Arena League relaunched in 2010 after shutting down for a year. Their were new owners, but they also had the same cities, uniforms and rules that they had when shutting down in 2009. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arena_Football_League#Relaunch_and_rock_star_owners_(2010–2014)

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

The franchises still exist within the league. They basically took over everything from the 2020 league. It never ceased to exist. Just shut down, like every other league, and then sold to new owners. The only thing may be the players, and they're constantly changing anyway. If new players and new owners determined the continuity of leagues, then every league would be "new" constantly.

5 minutes ago, McCall said:

The franchises still exist within the league. They basically took over everything from the 2020 league. It never ceased to exist. Just shut down, like every other league, and then sold to new owners. The only thing may be the players, and they're constantly changing anyway. If new players and new owners determined the continuity of leagues, then every league would be "new" constantly.

but it's a single-entity league, so there are no franchises- or am I wrong about that?  It was basically liquidated and reorganized as a brand new company.  Kinda sorta how Toys R Us still exists but is totally different than the store we grew up with, just retains the name.  

Well that's the thing. If the XFL reactivates all of the teams from 2020 for 2023 then I'm ok calling it a "relaunch," even if all the personnel have changed.

If the XFL 3.0 comes back with an entirely new slate of teams then it's not a relaunch.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BBTV said:

I tried to find details about what kind of XFL assets were actually sold without reading an entire court filing, and I saw that they still had nine employees while in bankruptcy. It's a tiny connective thread, but The Rock and his partners bought an actual business that was still paying employees. This isn't like dusting off USFL identities after 40 years.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, schlim said:

Didn't want to search for a two/three year old thread, but there's a new documentary coming out about the demise of the Alliance of American Football.

Will it be called "Really, Really Small Potatoes"?

• Like 2

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

13 hours ago, schlim said:

Didn't want to search for a two/three year old thread, but there's a new documentary coming out about the demise of the Alliance of American Football.

Thanks for the information! It's on Amazon Prime, one of the few services on which I have an account. So I will definitely be watching this. 

However, I am off for the last three days of this week (including today) because the weather in New York has turned beautiful again. So I might not have time until next week. I trust that it will still be on the platform then.

• Like 2

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 8/11/2021 at 5:33 AM, schlim said:

The film is really bad. It only highlights the negatives and bad experiences that someone people had with the league. I worked for the Atlanta Legends and it was the best job I ever had! I have nothing but positive things to say about the AAF and tons of good memories! This documentary is dark, depressing, melancholy, and just sad. Not a single positive story, joke, or anecdote from anyone being interviewed. I'm extremely disappointed that I was not asked to interview, but I'd imagine that they would cut everything I'd say because I loved the AAF! I wish this were more like the USFL 30 for 30, but no, they decided to be somber about the AAF. Yes, there are people that had a bad time with the AAF, but I wish they would have sought out more people with good things to say.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

The film is really bad. It only highlights the negatives and bad experiences that someone people had with the league. I worked for the Atlanta Legends and it was the best job I ever had! I have nothing but positive things to say about the AAF and tons of good memories! This documentary is dark, depressing, melancholy, and just sad. Not a single positive story, joke, or anecdote from anyone being interviewed. I'm extremely disappointed that I was not asked to interview, but I'd imagine that they would cut everything I'd say because I loved the AAF! I wish this were more like the USFL 30 for 30, but no, they decided to be somber about the AAF. Yes, there are people that had a bad time with the AAF, but I wish they would have sought out more people with good things to say.

Instantly dismissed your take when I saw your avi.

The AAF sucked. SUCKED.

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png