XFL 2023: Third Time's the Charm!

officeglenn

• 3 weeks later...

I'm saying both the XFL & USFL play one more season in 2024 and then call it a day. Also a return of a 16 team Arena Football League in 2024 is in the works. We'll see how that pans out. 

It's nice to have springtime football as something additional to watch after NFL season ends. But if the XFL lost THAT much, and who knows what the USFL is losing since their business model appears to be even worse -- it really feels like these springtime football experiments might be at an end.

6uXNWAo.png

6 hours ago, Cujo said:

But it's coming back next season, right? 

We don't know how much of that is startup costs, and how much were annual expenses. As well as what they were projected to lose compared to what they did lose. No business is a success year one. None. Especially since part of their expenses would be buying the league for Vince, and then sitting on it for a year before actually even playing a game.

MLS took decades for the whole league to be successful. And if you want to talk about the losses from earlier seasons funded mostly by AEG, they might still not be in the black.

• Like 6

I thought they were pretty up front that they were looking at 3-5 years before being profitable.  $60M sounds like a lot, but we don't know what the expectation was - just that it wasn't possible to be profitable in year one.

• Like 7

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

41 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

They knew they were going to lose millions. They’d be stupid if they didn’t. 

Perhaps so. But there's a difference between believing you're gonna lose a few million and being in the red $60M

• Yawn 1

6uXNWAo.png

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

I thought they were pretty up front that they were looking at 3-5 years before being profitable.  $60M sounds like a lot, but we don't know what the expectation was - just that it wasn't possible to be profitable in year one.

They will most likely have losses in 2024 as well, but the hope there is that it should be less than $60 million

XFL 2001: -$70M

XFL 2020: -$50M

XFL 2023: -$60M

Props to Dwayne if he stays committed because many of us do enjoy having springtime football. But if he decided to pull the plug on this now that he's $75M under, I wouldn't blame him at one bit.

6uXNWAo.png

You have to at least do Year 2 to see if the numbers get better. It's a tough time to start a spring football league, with AAF and XFL 2.0 in recent memory and the USFL competing for eyeballs and players. The best thing XFL 3.0 can do is keep existing and it will give an implicit reason to care.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, See Red said:

$60m is better than I would have thought,  tbh. I don't think anybody would have reasonably expected them to be profitable in year one.

As little as some teams apparently paid for advertising, the lack of fan gear that we're used to seeing from the NFL and Fanatics, I'm not surprised to see that large a loss. I also think teams having more balanced scheduling in 2024 will help at the gates. And actual UA clothing would enhance fan gear sales. 

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 6/10/2023 at 10:08 PM, SCMODS said:

I'm saying both the XFL & USFL play one more season in 2024 and then call it a day. Also a return of a 16 team Arena Football League in 2024 is in the works. We'll see how that pans out. 

The AFL is counting on castoffs from the XFL & USFL. It's not like they'll be competing for the best players in either league. The CFL is more worried about their long term success than the AFL. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 6/11/2023 at 12:19 PM, Cujo said:

XFL 2001: -$70M

XFL 2020: -$50M

XFL 2023: -$60M

Props to Dwayne if he stays committed because many of us do enjoy having springtime football. But if he decided to pull the plug on this now that he's $75M under, I wouldn't blame him at one bit.

It's all guesswork unless you're on the inside and know how much they budgeted for. Everyone knew they'd lose money the first couple of years. The question is if the loses are seen as acceptable or not.

And they may very well be. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like St. Louis could, and in my opinion they should, be hosting the 2024 XFL Championship game. I hope it's officially announced sooner than later so that fans can start planning for the trip in May. 

UPDATE: Apparently each venue was asked to reserve 6 dates on the calendar, which means that no final decision on where the Championship will be held has been made. The video has since been taken down from YouTube. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

10 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Looks like St. Louis could, and in my opinion they should, be hosting the 2024 XFL Championship game. I hope it's officially announced sooner than later so that fans can start planning for the trip in May. 

UPDATE: Apparently each venue was asked to reserve 6 dates on the calendar, which means that no final decision on where the Championship will be held has been made. The video has since been taken down from YouTube. 

I was actually surprised that they did it so well in St Louis, not many complaints about the games, refreshment stalls or trasit.
The whole club, city and people should be congratulated.

By no means am i saying DC wasn't just that St Louis looked like it run a whole lot smoother from an outsiders point of view.

• Like 1

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.