XFL 2023: Third Time's the Charm!

officeglenn

I think the biggest issue was getting the games on TV if ABC/ESPN and Fox are trying to grab up college football to fill in weekends this spring.Β They also may not want people trying to compare XFL to NCAA games, especially if it's FCS and below. They may also still want to keep teams that were scheduled to move in the same areas, but in smaller stadiums or obtaining better rental plans for those that were already in small stadiums.Β 

Β 

km3S7lo.jpg

Β 

Zqy6osx.png

Β 

23 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think the biggest issue was getting the games on TV if ABC/ESPN and Fox are trying to grab up college football to fill in weekends this spring.Β They also may not want people trying to compare XFL to NCAA games, especially if it's FCS and below. They may also still want to keep teams that were scheduled to move in the same areas, but in smaller stadiums or obtaining better rental plans for those that were already in small stadiums.Β 

Β 

spring 2021 NCAA football shouldn’t impact spring 2022 XFL football.Β 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

I think delaying the restart gives the league opportunities to bring a few more teams/cities into the mix. Assuming they want to expand.

Β 

I'd like to see who else is investing into the Neo-Neo XFL before I can say anything about longterm success. The Rock is very charismatic but does he have the resources to run a league at massive losses for a few years? Time will tell.Β 

Β 

But, I can safely say that if he does have financial backers and it still fails? Well, that tells me that TRUE ALTERNATIVE FOOTBALL LEAGUES will never work and nothing will ever make them work short of the NFL declining massively in popularity like horse racing.

Edited by Red Comet
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Β 

I'd like to see who else is investing into the Neo-Neo XFL before I can say anything about longterm success. The Rock is very charismatic but does he have the resources to run a league at massive losses for a few years? Time will tell.Β 

Β 

But, I can safely say that if he does have financial backers and it still fails? Well, that tells me that TRUE ALTERNATIVE FOOTBALL LEAGUES will never work and nothing will ever make them work short of the NFL declining massively in popularity like horse racing.

Why would it take this iteration to change your mind?

It's where I sit.

7 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Β 

Because part of me wants a league like this to take off even though I know damn well it won't.Β 

Gotcha. I hope it succeeds, but don't expect that it will. The assumption stated of fans wanting more football is wrong. Fans who want more football want more of THEIR football. That is far most often NFL or NCAA D-I FBS.

• Like 3

It's where I sit.

25 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Gotcha. I hope it succeeds, but don't expect that it will. The assumption stated of fans wanting more football is wrong. Fans who want more football want more of THEIR football. That is far most often NFL or NCAA D-I FBS.

Β 

About the only way I can see a league like this possibly lasting beyond a few years is if having to pay players makes fielding a football team uneconomical for the vast majority of colleges and thus you now have a glut of 18-21 year olds who need refinement of their skills but are too small, weak and slow to play in the NFL.Β 

Β 

Even that is a yuge long shot.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I think delaying the restart gives the league opportunities to bring a few more teams/cities into the mix. Assuming they want to expand.

I would think that now that the AAF isn't around to take some markets, you could see the original 8 remain but with some relocations to more suitable locations that laid host to AAF squads.

Β 

- LA to San Diego (if a venue can be found, maybe Petco if Qualcomm is done)

- Tampa Bay to Orlando (UCF or the Orlando City soccer stadium would be good smaller venues)

- Dallas to San Antonio

• Like 2

On 10/1/2020 at 4:59 PM, IceCap said:

Only if they pay whoever owns the AAF trademarks to get the Apollos back.

Β 

TAKE AIM!

Β 

Easily my favorite look of the most recent spring leagues. They should also bring in the Memphis Express and Salt Lake Stallions. A proper invasion needs a Booker T (Apollos), and Sean O’Haire and Mike Awesome (Express and Stallions).Β 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 5:22 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

This is absolutely on point.Β 

Β 

All the new football leagues look to me like baseball in Boston. Β The Red Sox sell our every game, but that doesn’t mean the city is so desperate for baseball that a second team would be an automatic success.Β 

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

XFL and CFL teams could play an interleague championship game?Β  And interleague games during their season?Β Β I would think the necessary schedule shift for one of the leagues would make the idea a non-starter, but at least some people are thinking about it.

Β 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/12/xfl-cfl-champions-could-meet/

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 4/12/2021 at 5:24 PM, BBTV said:

XFL and CFL teams could play an interleague championship game?Β  And interleague games during their season?Β Β I would think the necessary schedule shift for one of the leagues would make the idea a non-starter, but at least some people are thinking about it.

Β 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/12/xfl-cfl-champions-could-meet/

That would be nice, but how would the CFL be accommodated given the current situation?

• Like 1