XFL 2023: Third Time's the Charm!

officeglenn

On 4/12/2021 at 7:24 PM, BBTV said:

XFL and CFL teams could play an interleague championship game?  And interleague games during their season?  I would think the necessary schedule shift for one of the leagues would make the idea a non-starter, but at least some people are thinking about it.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/12/xfl-cfl-champions-could-meet/

Just when would they play the interleague championship game?  A lot of the CFL season overlaps the NFL season and the Grey Cup is usually around Week 12 of the NFL season

30 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Just when would they play the interleague championship game?  A lot of the CFL season overlaps the NFL season and the Grey Cup is usually around Week 12 of the NFL season

What does the NFL season have to do with a game between the XFL and CFL?

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

What does the NFL season have to do with a game between the XFL and CFL?

Competition for eyeballs in the United States, depending on what day and when the game is played and who wants to televise it.  If they want an interleague championship game do it on Tuesday, Wednesday or Friday.  This avoids them going head to head against the NCAA or NFL on the Weekends.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Competition for eyeballs in the United States, depending on what day and when the game is played and who wants to televise it.  If they want an interleague championship game do it on Tuesday, Wednesday or Friday.  This avoids them going head to head against the NCAA or NFL on the Weekends.

But why was Week 12 of the NFL season so important? Or did you read this as CFL/NFL crossover?

It's where I sit.

15 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

That would be nice, but how would the CFL be accommodated given the current situation?

My bet is the CFL has to adjust their schedule to earlier and the XFL bumps back a bit to play late spring through summer to early fall. Labor Day games are pretty big in Canada so it'd be nice to see the Grey Cup or playoffs or something coincide with that. Wrap up the league just before or shortly after the NFL and NCAA comes back.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

CFL NFL Crossover in the United States with a merged CFL/XFL.  

Ok, but since no one has brought that up, I'm not sure how someone would have that leap to understand what you were getting at.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

I suspected it being mid-season in the NFL was relevant because it would either mean the XFL season would have to run in the fall, which is a non-starter, or that the QB of the team representing the XFL in that game would likely be on an NFL depth chart or practice squad by then. 

• Like 1

IUe6Hvh.png

7 hours ago, McCall said:

Both leagues have very different game rules. How are they gonna do this? This isn't something like the DH where you simply have someone else bat for the pitcher. The fields are even laid out in different dimensions and the goal posts are in different placements.

The CFL and NFL played exhibition games once upon a time. Home team rules, probably. Certainly home team field dimensions if they don't go with non-CFL dimensions (since you could adjust the CFL layout to make it smaller, but you won't likely have the room to make a US-based field fit the CFL dimensions). 

• Like 3

It's where I sit.

I understand the potential outrage CFL fans have about a merger.  A merger means the end of 3 Down, 12 Man, 110 Yards, pre snap motions and the ratio rule.  They fear a merger with the XFL will take that all away.  They also fear that a merger = no more Grey Cup.  If a merger happens, I could see a bunch of fans demanding that the Canadian Government enact the Canadian Football Act into official law, even though that's likely the last thing on the minds of the government of Trudeau Jr. right now.   

• Like 2

Ah, so this time around they aren't trying to cater to the "AMERICA!" crowd, I see. No press statement about how everyone will stand for the national anthem and no player will have a criminal record.

But hey, I'm sure it will finally succeed in 2022. No one cared in 2001 or 2020, but I'm sure this time will be different, somehow.

• Like 1

Isn't it premature to be talking about a merger?  Isn't the XFL just some IP right now?  As of this minute, there's no TV exposure for the CFL to benefit from, no other technology for them to benefit from, and nothing to be gained through it.  Unless the CFL really wants to merge just so it can acquire the Battle Hawks IP, I'm not sure why it's even worth having that discussion now.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

Isn't it premature to be talking about a merger?  Isn't the XFL just some IP right now?  As of this minute, there's no TV exposure for the CFL to benefit from, no other technology for them to benefit from, and nothing to be gained through it.  Unless the CFL really wants to merge just so it can acquire the Battle Hawks IP, I'm not sure why it's even worth having that discussion now.

This is underselling it quite considerably.

Yes, in terms of tangible assets, the XFL is essentially a collection of brands. But it's also a collection of deep-pocketed investors who are willing to come to the table with an existing league that appears to be in financial distress and seeking a way out of it.

So maybe discussion of a merger is premature, but I don't think it's as premature as you think it is. And if nothing else, it's an intriguing thought exercise. 

Such as the question by @McCall about how two leagues with different rules could make a merger work? I would think that in a hypothetical scenario like this, where a storied existing league would merge with a startup, you can't assume either party's rules or structures are set in stone. They'd have to adapt -- give up some things, amend others. 

I mean, a merger like this for the CFL would sort of be like hitting the nuclear button -- and if you're willing to take such a drastic action, why would you let something like field size get in the way? 

14 hours ago, Quillz said:

Ah, so this time around they aren't trying to cater to the "AMERICA!" crowd, I see. No press statement about how everyone will stand for the national anthem and no player will have a criminal record.

But hey, I'm sure it will finally succeed in 2022. No one cared in 2001 or 2020, but I'm sure this time will be different, somehow.

What makes you think nobody cared in 2020? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

What makes you think nobody cared in 2020? 

Zero coverage in most traditional media. Like the original XFL, most coverage treated it more like a special or an event than a legitimate league. We also had much bigger issues in 2020. And despite its heavy marketing about how it would be simple and not the NFL, it pretty much was. The games in of themselves weren't bad but there was nothing I found really worth watching. It didn't do anything that the (failed) Alliance of American Football did. Both just felt like early season or preseason games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quillz said:

Zero coverage in most traditional media. Like the original XFL, most coverage treated it more like a special or an event than a legitimate league. We also had much bigger issues in 2020. And despite its heavy marketing about how it would be simple and not the NFL, it pretty much was. The games in of themselves weren't bad but there was nothing I found really worth watching. It didn't do anything that the (failed) Alliance of American Football did. Both just felt like early season or preseason games.

For an upstart league, one with a history of failure, it got plenty of mainstream coverage. You can't reasonably expect that a spring league filled with wannabe NFLers would immediately get the same attention as a Big Four league. The pandemic killed this league before it got even halfway through its schedule, and there was almost zero indication that it wouldn't have made it to a year two.

So, basically, you didn't care. 

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

From the league’s Facebook and Twitter pages-

spacer.png

I wonder if that means they're planning to try to get back in front of the USFL/TSL and get back in the starting blocks for 2022? I think most players would rather play in a league with a home base for each squad rather than sharing space with 7-9 other teams in the same one or two cities. Granted I think just having fans back in the stadium would improve the atmosphere for USFL/TSL games. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png