XFL 2023: Third Time's the Charm!

officeglenn

1 hour ago, EskimoAldus said:

Dallas, Houston, Las Vegas, Orlando, San Antonio, Seattle, St. Louis, Washington

Washington will also have a new name and Houston will at least have new logos. I believe Dallas may have to change logos as well, or at least they were being looked at as having to change. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I have seen the stories based on a tweet of a former D.C. Defenders employee stating that the team will have a new name.  I am baffled as to why the league would throw away such a solid identity.

They may want to distance themselves from the abomination that is the Washington Commanders name change and rebrand. Two Washington teams with 'ders at the end may be viewed as potentially toxic to the XFL. I also think like the Cleveland Guardians, there are teams that are claiming that they stole their name.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

13 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:
22 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I have seen the stories based on a tweet of a former D.C. Defenders employee stating that the team will have a new name.  I am baffled as to why the league would throw away such a solid identity.

They may want to distance themselves from the abomination that is the Washington Commanders name change and rebrand. Two Washington teams with 'ders at the end may be viewed as potentially toxic to the XFL.

Ah, too bad.  Defenders is a much better name than Commanders — and it was there first!

I guess the USFL owns all the old marks from that league, so that rules out any possibility of a revival of the Federals' identity.  That team's name and logo are superb.  (The colour scheme of green and black was great, too.  But it would work with any colours.)

15 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I also think like the Cleveland Guardians, there are teams that are claiming that they stole their name.

Oh?  I hadn't heard about that one.

It's unfortunate.  I am hoping for as much continuity from the 2020 season as possible.  I hope that the Las Vegas team will be the Wildcats (with the LA logo altered into an LV) and that the Orlando team will be the Vipers. 

I strongly doubt that the New York Guardians' identity will live on in San Antonio.  I am glad that I got my hat when I did.  (Side note: I also have a Hitmen hat.)

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Ah, too bad.  Defenders is a much better name than Commanders — and it was there first!

I guess the USFL owns all the old marks from that league, so that rules out any possibility of a revival of the Federals' identity.  That team's name and logo are superb.  (The colour scheme of green and black was great, too.  But it would work with any colours.)

Oh?  I hadn't heard about that one.

It's unfortunate.  I am hoping for as much continuity from the 2020 season as possible.  I hope that the Las Vegas team will be the Wildcats (with the LA logo altered into an LV) and that the Orlando team will be the Vipers. 

I strongly doubt that the New York Guardians' identity will live on in San Antonio.  I am glad that I got my hat when I did.  (Side note: I also have a Hitmen hat.)

I actually hope the Guardians identity stays in place and in San Antonio. Whatever identity comes up to replace it probably won't have the Alamo in it as I've learned that the Alamo is trademarked and so they probably won't want to do that dance. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

If those location predictions bear out, it'll be an awfully Texas-heavy league, which could also help explain why its operations would be centralized in Dallas. But you'd think having more than one-third of the league located in a single state would be risky when trying to draw appeal from a broader nationwide audience. 

32 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

If those location predictions bear out, it'll be an awfully Texas-heavy league, which could also help explain why its operations would be centralized in Dallas. But you'd think having more than one-third of the league located in a single state would be risky when trying to draw appeal from a broader nationwide audience. 

I think it's based more on weather. February through May in Texas is more consistent, normally, than in areas like New York and Ohio. They also expect better crowds as well, so these locations make perfect sense based on attendance during the 2020 season and the AAF season in 2019. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

14 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think it's based more on weather. February through May in Texas is more consistent, normally, than in areas like New York and Ohio. They also expect better crowds as well, so these locations make perfect sense based on attendance during the 2020 season and the AAF season in 2019. 

That's a great point, and makes a lot of sense. Though I wouldn't be surprised to know that four-hour bus rides from Dallas to Houston/San Antonio would equal a boatload of savings relative to flights. 

Just now, gosioux76 said:

That's a great point, and makes a lot of sense. Though I wouldn't be surprised to know that four-hour bus rides from Dallas to Houston/San Antonio would equal a boatload of savings relative to flights. 

I think it breaks even unless they got a deal with Greyhound or someone else. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The XFL should avoid Houston or any other city occupied by the USFL. It feels inevitable that the leagues will merge at some point. So many of these leagues can't even finish their first seasons, I have a hard time believing two can successfully co-exist.  Have to think the XFL's relationship to the NFL already gives them an advantage.

42 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

The XFL should avoid Houston or any other city occupied by the USFL. It feels inevitable that the leagues will merge at some point. So many of these leagues can't even finish their first seasons, I have a hard time believing two can successfully co-exist.  Have to think the XFL's relationship to the NFL already gives them an advantage.

As well attended as Houston games were, I can't see why they'd give it up. The question becomes now, where will the Gamblers play? They can use BBVA Stadium or NRG Stadium, but the Roughnecks locking in the stadium they used previously helps them out tremendously, especially if the USFL stays locked in to Birmingham next year or in a two city hub like they were as the Spring League. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

22 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

Each league ought to be maximizing their ability to succeed, not be concerned about a possible merger with another league.

• Like 3

It's where I sit.

Orlando seemed like a shoe in last time except the AAF was there and there was not enough time to wait to see what eventually happened. 

Plus Tampa had the same problem Salt Lake in the AAF had, the colors and team just did not match the stadium they were playing in. TB should've had red SOMEWHERE in the colors. 

if the XFL is successful (ie lasting two years), I could see them expanding.  They don't plan on being in California and the USFL isn't in California and if the XFL does expand and decides to add a team in the West and in the East, I could see them putting a team in Phoenix if they don't want California.  Now the AAF did have a team in Arizona, but they placed a team in Sun Devil Stadium.  I would think that the current XFL ownership would want to play in Glendale, where the Cardinals play.  

On 5/27/2022 at 10:10 PM, Sykotyk said:

Orlando seemed like a shoe in last time except the AAF was there and there was not enough time to wait to see what eventually happened. 

Plus Tampa had the same problem Salt Lake in the AAF had, the colors and team just did not match the stadium they were playing in. TB should've had red SOMEWHERE in the colors. 

The problem with the Salt Lake Stallions was that the AD and/or president (I can't remember which one) would't allow the AAF to paint the field. They were allowed to put up signs and banners, but could't touch the field. 

And I'll defend that the Stallions had the BEST colors and uniforms in the AAF!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

The problem with the Salt Lake Stallions was that the AD and/or president (I can't remember which one) would't allow the AAF to paint the field. They were allowed to put up signs and banners, but could't touch the field. 

And I'll defend that the Stallions had the BEST colors and uniforms in the AAF!

Oh they did. But looked like a visitor in their own stadium. They should've been red white and blue to account for the three big universities in that area. Would've fit in at Rice-Eccles (painted field or not) with a bit of red.