XFL 2023: Third Time's the Charm!

officeglenn

6 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

San Diego is going to have a shiny new stadium with no pro team. 

That's what I think makes more sense than Las Vegas, does Sam Boyd Stadium even exist anymore?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

That's what I think makes more sense than Las Vegas, does Sam Boyd Stadium even exist anymore?

I think the ownership group (RedBird Capital, Dani Garcia and the Rock) has confidence they would play at Allegiant.  

Sam Boyd Stadium still exists, but it's turned into an abandoned stadium, with the owner of the stadium (UNLV) not sure what to do with it next.  

Sam Boyd Stadium’s long farewell nearing end | Las Vegas Review-Journal (reviewjournal.com)

Sam Boyd Stadium opened in 1971 at a cost of $3.5 million that, allowing for inflation, translates to $22.5 million today. A $1.2 million renovation in 2015 added a press box tower, luxury suites and other improvements that greatly enhanced the stadium’s revenue-raising capability.

But the no-compete agreement with the Raiders pretty much has eliminated any practical use for the stadium, barring another health crisis or other unforeseen circumstance.

“The cost of maintaining it and firing it up would make no sense, especially if the events you are doing are smaller attended events,” said Pat Christenson, Las Vegas Events president and a former Sam Boyd Stadium and Thomas & Mack director.

“It goes counter to the agreement with the Raiders. Every time you try to do something you have to jump through hoops. Anything that’s competitive, anything of substance that is going to draw fans … the Raiders are going to do.”

Although the New Mexico and San Jose State football games and Mountain West championship game produced television exposure for the stadium and the city, they were played in front of empty grandstands eliminating any revenue-making potential.

“It’s not a money-maker, but we’re covering our expenses,” is how Reed-Francois described the arrangements with New Mexico and San Jose State that she said were more about being a good conference partner than generating money during what continues to be a desperate time for college athletics.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EskimoAldus said:

So tomorrow is the big day? No leaks yet?

Surprised we hadn't heard more leaks from those involved with the host city stadiums. Surely contracts have been signed and some preliminary planning has happened with venues actually hosting games with suppliers, concessions, etc. That someone would know.

Unless the guesses outside San Antonio and Orlando are all rather boring. 5 main teams returning to their home stadiums, 3 relocating to obvious better situations. Only Houston as a conflict with the USFL because they had such a great turnout in 2020, that it makes the competition with Houston in football mad Texas an easy gamble. No pun intended.

Las Vegas is a bit of a surprise as so much is happening with that city now that they're going to have new team fatigue. San Diego makes the most sense to tap into that anti-NFL backlash that St. Louis had done so enthusiastically. I could see SD going all in with the XFL team if they got one.

Just now, Dilbert said:

Does anyone else think its a bit overkill to have 3 of the 8 teams in Texas?

I think that of all sports leagues. Especially in MLS, where only one of the markets actually draws.

But XFL is based in Texas, and it's a no income tax state, so best for the player's paychecks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

With all teams sharing Dallas as a training site, I would presume that having more than a third of your league within the same state likely cuts down on travel expenses. 

If this were like, say, the original USFL, where each team had its own owner responsible for bearing the the costs of their team, it might be a different story. But as a single-entity league, which has to cover the travel for the entire league, I could see this as a prudent way to keep expenses down.  

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Those are pretty cringeworthy. Memphis, Orlando and San Francisco - woof.

Per rumors, Las Vegas and Orlando could taking the field for XFL 3.0. Should that be the case, I can totally see a return of the LV Outlaws identity. Not so sure about the Rage and that red hulk logo tho.

6uXNWAo.png