Washington Football Team, Lets Make It Permanent!

Moseph

I've been a fan of this franchise for years so its been a little weird not having an official name, but I've come to embrace the idea of the Washington Football Team. It seems like the favorites among fans for a new name is Redwolves or Red Tails, but I'm not really into either one as I don't want a full rebrand, I'd rather continue the legacy of the last 88 years without feeling like an expansion team. I read an article where Snyder admitted he's opening to keeping the Football Team name full time if fans embrace it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he just does whatever he wants anyways. I've always loved the uniforms and colors so I was happy to see them relatively unchanged, but the one thing they mess with was the helmet and its a huge downgrade! With my concept, I brought the helmet back to its former glory, added a a pair of throwback uniforms, and put my own spin a secondary logo idea I saw on these boards a few months ago.

Lets start with the primary uniforms, I've brought back the gold pants full time at home because they are the burgundy and gold after all. I've also changed the helmet by bringing the stripes back because it looks so plain and boring without them. I've also dropped the terrible numbers from the side and replaced it with the primary W logo. I also added stripes to the burgundy stripes to the socks to match the jersey. The road uniform goes untouched because its such a classic look.

JQzumCs.jpg

I've kept the white pants as an alternative as well that way there are options. I've always thought the white on white look was very clean and reminds me of my favorite times watching this team during the Gibbs 2.0 era. They were never that great despite a couple of playoff runs, but that defense was exciting to watch!

K2dHAwY.jpg

Now its time for some throwbacks. Washington has had some really nice uniforms in the past but the one helmet rule really limits what you can do here. The 70th Anniversary is one of my favorite looks and I like the current one as well but hate the look of the two shades of burgundy together. That leaves the 70s as the only good option here so I went for both a home and a road look and switched the facemask to gray for an accurate look. If they ever get rid of the one helmet rule you could easily bring back the yellow helmets with these sets or go with one of the previously mentioned uniforms.

n0x8O4m.jpg

Here is a helmet render

rDApeiW.jpg

And finally, the secondary logo. I saw someone else make a version of this here on the boards earlier in the year. Originally I made the football burgundy with gold stars and stripes but decided to change the colors around so it would match closer with the actual DC flag

DAw7tgq.jpg

Hail To The Team!

SouthParkBaseballOriolespngsmall.png

I agree with the OP. Any name they pick is just going to sound gimmicky and out of place IMO. I mean, what purpose does the name even have? So they can slap a drawing of some made up animal on the helmet and have a mascot running around the stadium? This is a proud storied franchise. They don't need a cute animal on their helmet.

Love the concept as well.

As a cowboys fan, I love the old Skins uniforms, timeless and a beautiful color scheme. I'm totally with you that if they do settle on a new name, dear god let them just make a new logo and keep the uniforms untouched. Red wolves sounds super corny to me, Warriors isn't bad and I honestly like the Pigskins, with the Hogs connection and so we can still call em the Skins. That being said this is a much better take on what they currently use, I can totally agree that the current helmet looks really dumb with no stripes. I like what you did here, here's to hoping they pick a decent name and keep the uniforms like this going forward.

I'm actually in favor of leaving the team as WFT, or changing it to Washington Football Club.

I'm curious what the uniforms would look like if you changed the numeral font to one that matches the wordmark. I'd also like to see that secondary logo somewhere on the uniform.

Other than that, nice job.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

Washington Football Club would be cool because it's how soccer clubs are named sometimes. That alternate logo with a couple stripes and 3 stars on a white football is really snazzy and unique for an NFL team. And the stars and stripes make me think of it being the nation's capital.

Has anyone considered just calling the whole team the Hogs? (Insert joke about pork barrel spending) Although, I don't know if anyone really wants a burgundy hog as a mascot, but it would tie in to an important part of the club's history.

My best friend, who lives in the D.C. area, says he wouldn't be surprised if Dan Snyder named them after himself. At least Brown is also a color.

Speaking of which, that alternate logo in orange and brown might e great to have something on their helmets. Although the cimple orange color does make them unique. I'm not sure how I feel about that club's logo.

I agree with this 100%. I'm actually not a fan of Washington picking a new name. Since Washington isn't allowed to use the "R"-word nickname & Native American head logo anymore, then I think that they should just go by "Washington Football Team" on a permanent basis. I would be extremely pissed off if Washington picked "Red Tails" or "Code Talkers" as its new club nickname, just because both of those names are really terrible & lame. I think I could get used to "Washington Football Team" long term. 

I like the idea of the number on the helmet, but I think it looks like it's missing something. The simple W is a good look, but alternatively, I'd put white numbers with the gold outline on the helmets, matching the home unis. I agree that the stripes should return.

You nailed the color distribution but the premise of keeping "Washington Football Team" is ridiculous and the placeholder the team came up with is terrible.

You meant well with your secondary but what you've designed here is a hamburger.

On 10/13/2020 at 9:02 PM, Redkoat64 said:

Football Club would confuse with a soccer organization. I believe Washington Gridiron Club is more unique, gridiron being a synonym for American Football.

"Washington Gridiron Football Club" with "the Gridirons" as the nickname is about the best one can do with a non-name name, I feel. They should have rolled with that instead of the "Washington Football Team" bowdlerization that sensitive media members used for all those years. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 2 months later...
On 10/1/2020 at 8:19 PM, Moseph said:

I've been a fan of this franchise for years so its been a little weird not having an official name, but I've come to embrace the idea of the Washington Football Team. It seems like the favorites among fans for a new name is Redwolves or Red Tails, but I'm not really into either one as I don't want a full rebrand, I'd rather continue the legacy of the last 88 years without feeling like an expansion team. I read an article where Snyder admitted he's opening to keeping the Football Team name full time if fans embrace it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he just does whatever he wants anyways. I've always loved the uniforms and colors so I was happy to see them relatively unchanged, but the one thing they mess with was the helmet and its a huge downgrade! With my concept, I brought the helmet back to its former glory, added a a pair of throwback uniforms, and put my own spin a secondary logo idea I saw on these boards a few months ago.

Lets start with the primary uniforms, I've brought back the gold pants full time at home because they are the burgundy and gold after all. I've also changed the helmet by bringing the stripes back because it looks so plain and boring without them. I've also dropped the terrible numbers from the side and replaced it with the primary W logo. I also added stripes to the burgundy stripes to the socks to match the jersey. The road uniform goes untouched because its such a classic look.

JQzumCs.jpg

I've kept the white pants as an alternative as well that way there are options. I've always thought the white on white look was very clean and reminds me of my favorite times watching this team during the Gibbs 2.0 era. They were never that great despite a couple of playoff runs, but that defense was exciting to watch!

K2dHAwY.jpg

Now its time for some throwbacks. Washington has had some really nice uniforms in the past but the one helmet rule really limits what you can do here. The 70th Anniversary is one of my favorite looks and I like the current one as well but hate the look of the two shades of burgundy together. That leaves the 70s as the only good option here so I went for both a home and a road look and switched the facemask to gray for an accurate look. If they ever get rid of the one helmet rule you could easily bring back the yellow helmets with these sets or go with one of the previously mentioned uniforms.

n0x8O4m.jpg

Here is a helmet render

rDApeiW.jpg

And finally, the secondary logo. I saw someone else make a version of this here on the boards earlier in the year. Originally I made the football burgundy with gold stars and stripes but decided to change the colors around so it would match closer with the actual DC flag

DAw7tgq.jpg

Hail To The Team!

Honestly, I'm a huge fan of this particular concept. I agree with the other posters on this forum in that I think it would be extremely gimmicky if Washington picked a new club nickname. As I said back in October 2020, I still think the best possible name for this NFL team should remain as the "Washington Football Team", because it respects the team's 88 year history. I sincerely believe that not having a club nickname allows Washington to be unique in the NFL.

Archived