Iron Lion

Calgary Flames Go “Full Retro” with New Uniforms for 2021

Recommended Posts

Calgary Flames Go “Full Retro” with New Uniforms for 2021

October 5, 2020 - 17:40 PM

As the Golden Knights go gold, the rest of the National Hockey League is going old… but that’s okay! Because the old we’ve been getting here is, in most cases, absolutely glorious. The Calgary Flames joined the retro parade for the 2020-21 NHL season today by unveiling their new, full-time,

Read More...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

I mean, these jerseys are just incredible;

spacer.png

The retros are nice, but these are my definitive Flames jerseys.

Maybe the Flames don't share your aesthetic taste.

 

Maybe that's a good thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best case scenario for the Flames IMO would be the new set for home and away, with the 2000s home (maybe with Blasty on the front?) as an alternate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's official...the Flames have a Top 10 NHL uniform. Congratulations to ALL Flames fans.

 

As for a future alternate, I would put the Flaming Horse/'Blasty' as the primary on the '04 red template. A good way to unite all Flames fans from all generations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, andrewharrington said:

Canadian hype videos are astoundingly charming compared to American ones. 😂

What, you don't like manic flashes of color and loads of effects with only short glimpses of the jersey? 😜 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

What, you don't like manic flashes of color and loads of effects with only short glimpses of the jersey? 😜 


“Rent some strobe lights, buy a generic open source beat, and find a studio that looks like either a 19th-century saloon wall or the set of Alien. We have a photo shoot.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

I mean, these jerseys are just incredible;

spacer.png

The retros are nice, but these are my definitive Flames jerseys.

 

These look fine in a vacuum, but all that black throws the colour balance way off on the set. At home black was the 2nd most prominent colour, but on the road jerseys it was fighting with yellow to be the tertiary colour. It also made the black pants look very out of place on the road.

 

The throwbacks have a proper colour balance. The hierarchy at home is red-white-yellow, and on the road it's white-red-yellow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Flames retros are extremely overrated.  But compared to what they've used for the past 13 seasons, they're a welcome change.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think some thin black lines between yellow and white would have been okay. It really helps the primary most of all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unlike Vancouver, where fans more or less prefer the throwbacks, Flames games have nearly everyone wearing the Black C jerseys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kw11333 said:

Unlike Vancouver, where fans more or less prefer the throwbacks, Flames games have nearly everyone wearing the Black C jerseys

Let's please not let this thread devolve into incoherent screeching about the Canucks yet again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Canucks don't need to touch their stuff again, can we please move on from them already? There's plenty of other teams we could talk over endlessly instead of digging up and beating the rotting corpse of that particular horse again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With going back to old looks becoming the thing these days, it begs the question to me if people will be asking for old looks from the 2000s or 2010s again 40-50 years from now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

The Canucks don't need to touch their stuff again, can we please move on from them already? There's plenty of other teams we could talk over endlessly instead of digging up and beating the rotting corpse of that particular horse again.

 

Canucks logo talk will never ever go away until the corporately-inspired Orca is harpooned. Any other Canucks hockey crest in blue and green will do and that includes a recoloured Skate.

 

As for the Flames, they, officially, have a Top 10 NHL uniform. Extremely happy for all Flames fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the ice, the Flames & my Canucks are Western Canadian rivals. Off the ice, we as fans of both teams are friends & hockey fans. Congratulations to ALL Flames fans on the long overdue and full-time return of your classic uniforms. They're beautiful. NHL Top 10.

🔥🔴⚪🟡🔥😃👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, the admiral said:

I still think some thin black lines between yellow and white would have been okay. It really helps the primary most of all.

That's my view too. It would really help the contrast.

 

The 2006-07 set with the 2013-16 alternate shoulder patch would be an amazing look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never liked that shoulder patch. Too much black, too clever by half. The Flames don't really need secondary logos; the Flaming C is one of the few that can carry the load by itself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

On the ice, the Flames & my Canucks are Western Canadian rivals. Off the ice, we as fans of both teams are friends & hockey fans. Congratulations to ALL Flames fans on the long overdue and full-time return of your classic uniforms. They're beautiful. NHL Top 10.

🔥🔴⚪🟡🔥😃👍

One of the things I enjoy most about Canucks-Flames games is the contrast between the red and yellow hot colours and the blue and green cool colours. With the return of the throwbacks I cant think of any matchup in sports that does that better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.