Calgary Flames Go “Full Retro” with New Uniforms for 2021

Iron Lion

22 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

One of the things I enjoy most about Canucks-Flames games is the contrast between the red and yellow hot colours and the blue and green cool colours. With the return of the throwbacks I cant think of any matchup in sports that does that better.

I fully agree. Since 2007, the Flames had the right crest but horrible primary uniforms. The Canucks are the polar opposite....the wrong crest but beautiful primary uniforms(not counting the weak Agency font). The Flames have finally come full circle. Now, it's time for the Canucks, Canada's 3rd oldest NHL franchise, to do the same...with at least the original '70 Stick in Rink or a recoloured Skate(blending the original & current colours and the ever-popular crest from '78-'97).

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

What, you don't like manic flashes of color and loads of effects with only short glimpses of the jersey? 😜 

The Lanny McDonald narration was actually a nice touch.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

7 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

I fully agree. Since 2007, the Flames had the right crest but horrible primary uniforms. The Canucks are the polar opposite....the wrong crest but beautiful primary uniforms(not counting the weak Agency font). The Flames have finally come full circle. Now, it's time for the Canucks, Canada's 3rd oldest NHL franchise, to do the same...with at least the original '70 Stick in Rink or a recoloured Skate(blending the original & current colours and the ever-popular crest from '78-'97).

This thread isn't about the Canucks.  Give it a rest already.

18 hours ago, Mr. Krabs said:

With going back to old looks becoming the thing these days, it begs the question to me if people will be asking for old looks from the 2000s or 2010s again 40-50 years from now.

I just want a reversioned Petr Bondra/Sergei Gonchar/Adam Oates/Mike Eagles/Oliver the Goalie Washington Capitals set. That's what I  want. Give me that, and y'all can have the rest. 

56 minutes ago, Ricky_Roby said:

Hurray - though they should drop the black C as their third jersey, it's so out of place now and never made any sense to begin with.

The C is on fire, fire isn't black. This shouldn't be that difficult.

What fire leaves behind sure can be, though. 

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Here's a great piece from FlamesNation that touches on the process, how long the Flames have been contemplating this move, other options they explored, why they're keeping the black C jersey as an alternate, and even the origins of the flags on the shoulders in the previous set: https://flamesnation.ca/2020/10/06/ryan-popowich-jersey-interview-article/

I don't think I've seen this anywhere else yet, but the mothership has the Flames also bringing back the old wordmark. I always liked that wordmark for whatever reason.

2286_calgary_flames-wordmark-2021.png

0902218e8ae830fe70cacbcd-8ab5-4130-bc1d-

Also has there been any news on if the Atlanta A is going to stay as the alternate captain letter? It wasn't used for the Winter Classic version of the whites, but I hope it sticks around now that they've been made primary.

IbjBaeE.png

8 hours ago, monkeypower said:

I don't think I've seen this anywhere else yet, but the mothership has the Flames also bringing back the old wordmark. I always liked that wordmark for whatever reason.

2286_calgary_flames-wordmark-2021.png

Idk why but this reminds of the font you'd see on the poster of a vintage horror flick.

23 hours ago, officeglenn said:

Here's a great piece from FlamesNation that touches on the process, how long the Flames have been contemplating this move, other options they explored, why they're keeping the black C jersey as an alternate, and even the origins of the flags on the shoulders in the previous set: https://flamesnation.ca/2020/10/06/ryan-popowich-jersey-interview-article/

That was a great read. Good for Flames marketing director, Ryan Popowich for laying everything down on the table. At the end of the day, as the saying goes, "If it's not broken, don't fix it." In other words, if the Flames never messed around with their classics in '94, there wouldn't have been all these hurdles to overcome in bringing them back. On the contrary, the good thing about the change in '94 followed by all the changes in the 2000's, there's a lesson to be learned, "You don't know what you got until it's gone." Going with black trim, a black Flaming C and adding "Blasty the Horse" should have been limited to alternate sweaters while leaving the traditional whites and reds alone.

Archived