Calgary Flames Go “Full Retro” with New Uniforms for 2021

Iron Lion

2 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Maybe this is my own wanna-have nostalgia talking, but as an occasional throwback, I really wouldn't mind seeing these on the ice again at some point.

spacer.png

There's the uniqueness factor, which isn't always something to use as a selling point, but I low-key kinda like the "C on a pedestal" optic created by that.

If there was one feature I wished the previous set had, it was that white flaming 'C' instead of black.

I saw, I came, I left.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see many of the pedestal jerseys around Calgary nor the Saddledome, and I think Ridley has the main reasons why, though I do think it's more the 03 red jerseys that caused the irrelevance of the pedestals than Blasty.

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

They'll never do it because that set encapsulates the height of the franchise's lame years, and it wasn't long after Iginla came in that Blasty was introduced as the third and then quickly overtook the Pedestal set as the primary look of the Flames. Blasty, as both the team's dark jersey and their third, coincides with their rise back to prominence and Iginla's peak; a lot more fond memories to capture there as opposed to the memories of a seven-year playoff drought and financial turmoil the Pedestals tend to conjure.

There's just not a lot of love really (anecdotally and generally speaking) for the pedestal jerseys. They were worn for five seasons, three sans-Blasty, where the team never really did anything and nearly moved. Then they promoted Blasty to away and brought in a white, flaming C version at home for 2000 and then introduced the red jersey for 2003 when the NHL switched to colour at home. I can't find any proof, and I was only 7 when those were introduced, but I recall something about part of the reason the Flames introduced the red jerseys was because they didn't want a black jersey/Blasty to be the "home" jersey.

Those 03 reds were a phenomenon in Calgary when they were released. I know I said I was just 7, but I remember that. It was crazy how much those things were everywhere. I think the pedestals were overshadowed by the classic Cup winning jerseys and then quickly forgotten about once the 03 reds happened.

There is this hat that I first saw a couple years in one of the stores at the Saddledome, but that's the only current pedestal merch I've ever seen before or since.

With Blasty, he was also not on any merch until also a couple years ago when the Flames partnered with Calgary actor Jarod Joseph to create a line (for charity) that has a Blasty sweater, which is the only current Blasty merch out there right now. As much of a online presence Blasty has now, as noted in the interview with the Flames marketing guy, he went dark for a period once the jersey was retired up until only recently.

IbjBaeE.png

13 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Maybe this is my own wanna-have nostalgia talking, but as an occasional throwback, I really wouldn't mind seeing these on the ice again at some point.

spacer.png

There's the uniqueness factor, which isn't always something to use as a selling point, but I low-key kinda like the "C on a pedestal" optic created by that.

I like this look for nostalgia reasons (being a kid and getting into hockey)...plus I kinda like it because the sleeves were really interesting. It wasn't a yoke...not full white sleeve stripes...it was like the torso stripes from the elbow to the collar, with black cuffs.

The replica pedestal jerseys usually looked like crap; either the C looked too small (as CCM replicas usually had smaller crests)...or they just looked like this, lol wtf Starter:

1996 Jarome Iginla Calgary Flames Starter NHL Jersey | Rare Vntg

This ProPlayer replica is bad too:

1995 VINTAGE GERMAN Titov Hockey Jersey Calgary Flames Xl Rare Starter  Authentic - $99.99 | PicClick

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

15 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

spacer.png

The "pedestal" was a contrived, awkward design element that ruined what was otherwise a solid look.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The c appears to be in motion somewhat. There’s no way something in motion could be on a pedastool. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 hours ago, BBTV said:

The c appears to be in motion somewhat. There’s no way something in motion could be on a pedastool. 

Not to mention the questionable structural integrity of a pedestal that runs on a 45-degree angle. 

That Flames uniform falls into the same void as the "Germanic" Brewers, the blue/orange Padres, the forest green/black Devil Rays, and anyone else who had a mediocre set in between sets that were either independently memorable or had memorable events happen in them. Any desire to dredge them back up is out of a sense of completism rather than a genuine desire to bring them back on their merits.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 10/6/2020 at 6:34 PM, monkeypower said:

I don't think I've seen this anywhere else yet, but the mothership has the Flames also bringing back the old wordmark. I always liked that wordmark for whatever reason.

2286_calgary_flames-wordmark-2021.png

0902218e8ae830fe70cacbcd-8ab5-4130-bc1d-

Also has there been any news on if the Atlanta A is going to stay as the alternate captain letter? It wasn't used for the Winter Classic version of the whites, but I hope it sticks around now that they've been made primary.

I love the Atlanta A for the alternate captain, so much I wish they did a little Calgary C for the primary captain (maybe reverse the yellow and red so it doesn’t look silly)

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

21 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

I love the Atlanta A for the alternate captain, so much I wish they did a little Calgary C for the primary captain (maybe reverse the yellow and red so it doesn’t look silly)

They did it for a hot minute with the pedestal jerseys... and it was too much.

Theoren_Fleury.0.0.jpeg

It just looks like there’s a another, smaller, logo on his upper chest for some reason.

IbjBaeE.png

12 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Theoren_Fleury.0.0.jpeg

I would have been able to tolerate the pedestal uniforms more if the Flames had kept, at least, the red away helmets. The red helmet/red sweater combo with darker coloured pants like the old Capitals, Devils, Cleveland Barons and 80's Team Canada was always nice to look at 

Archived