NFL Honors Tillman

slapshot

Would you agree with me that there are people who would think that?

Actually I wouldnt agree with that...

Anyone can hold up an American FLag on the 4th of July alongside their aluminum can of Budweiser and call themself a patriot.

Because it was an inferencial statement.....

Anyone -> "can do something outlandish" = Call themself a patriot.

Have you ever heard that phrase? Just because someone does something, doesnt mean it is so?

Best example I could give is Brad Pitt in "Seven":

"Just because the f__ker has a libray card, doesn't make him Yoda!"

Anyone -> "can do something outlandish" = Call themself a patriot.

That's really my point. There are people who think they are patriotic by doing that. I agree just because someone does something, doesn't mean it is so .

I saw, I came, I left.

and too, i bet you can find many who don't understand why the stadium comes to a stand still during the national anthem. Instead they talk, don't take their hats off etc.

Patriotism is more then the 4th of July (in the US case)

-------------

As for Tillman honored by the NFL. The NFL ignores and does not understand what is proper. . Just remember this is the league who fined players for wanting to wear black high tops when Johnny U passed on....

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

yeah than I guess we agree, I was just saying it in sarcastic negative sense, whereas you were more direct.

You damn over achiever! lol

Yo Hobogrish... awesome Signature Line!

OK, but as a suggestion, use a smiley next time so I know you're sarcastic. :D Sorry about these misunderstandings. and yeah ,that is a cool signature line Hobogrish.

I saw, I came, I left.

I don't have anything wrong with patriotism, I just feel that the NFL right now is trying too hard to please people. If it was common to have such large patriotic celebrations at halftime, that's fine. Don't get me wrong, I liked the show yesterday at Arrowhead, I just think that the league is trying to overcompensate now that one of their own was lost in Afghanistan. It makes me mad that, after a mourning period for 9/11, the league just went back to their same old ways. If they had continued to have patriotic celebrations, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Something just seems too forced about it. There were no big patriotic celebrations to honor all of the other people killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, and that's what bothers me.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

I don't have anything wrong with patriotism, I just feel that the NFL right now is trying too hard to please people. If it was common to have such large patriotic celebrations at halftime, that's fine. Don't get me wrong, I liked the show yesterday at Arrowhead, I just think that the league is trying to overcompensate now that one of their own was lost in Afghanistan. It makes me mad that, after a mourning period for 9/11, the league just went back to their same old ways. If they had continued to have patriotic celebrations, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Something just seems too forced about it. There were no big patriotic celebrations to honor all of the other people killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, and that's what bothers me.

2 things:

"It makes me mad that, after a mourning period for 9/11, the league just went back to their same old ways."

That's not just the NFL, that's the entire country... Whenever ANY tragic event happens... it is at the forefront of people's minds then it eventually is no longer a priority.

I don't think it is the NFL's place to recognize every soldier killed in war, but using Pat Tillman to place a face of one of their own to ALL of the others lost is a good start.

There's nothing wrong with the NFL wanting to have a public ceremony to honor Pat Tillman. Any corporation would do the same thing if an employee lost his or her life in combat, or in any other form of public service. I don't feel like they're forcing any political agenda on anyone by honoring Tillman in this way. And as long as the proceeds from the sale of Tillman's jersey go toward the charity/organization named in his memory, that's fine. In this case, it's appropriate, due to this being Arizona's first home game since Tillman died. But if ceremonies and tributes like this are an attempt to start a wave of fake "patriotism", then that's where it's gone too far.

I do agree somewhat with RockChalk. It does seem a bit trendy to have large patriotic ceremonies for no particular reason. Every so often, they will play "God Bless America" at baseball games. I still don't understand why this practice still continues. It was played for a while to lift everyone's spirits after 9/11, but now it seems forced. It also seems insulting if it's played when Toronto or Montreal comes down here to play. I feel that when it's played it's trying to force a subtle "America, you're with us or against us" feeling towards everyone. If you're against the war, does it make you feel uncomfortable to hear this song? I don't go to a sporting event to get my recommended daily allowance of pro-U.S. propaganda. We already have the national anthem (or 2) played at the start of the game.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

The NFL originally didn't cancel the games until Vinny Testaverde and the Jets rallied the troops and forced Tagliabues hand in postponing the week's games. Tags was concerned about moving back the Super Bowl, although I remember there was stories about Rozelle's only regret was not cancelling games after JFK was killed.

Archived