Seattle Storm Refresh (added v2, based on new logo)

vtgco

In honor of my hometown team's 4th WNBA championship, here's my take on the Seattle Storm!

9w3Wf2e.png

The current primary logo is a bit busy, so mostly this is a cleanup. The Space Needle gets a new, less abstract silhouette, while the wordmark is flattened and simplified. The alternate logos include a version of the current secondary mark, reworked into a raincloud, as well as a Space Needle + Mt Rainier logo and a evergreen tree + lightning bolt logo. The font is Mesmerize.

3Le1FZe.png

I know the WNBA is currently a templated, ad-covered mess in terms of uniform design right now, but we can dream, right?

The two main jerseys have a raincloud-patterned side panel, and a similar Mount Rainier design on the shorts. The wordmarks are simplified versions of the Storm's original designs. The colors are limited to the green, silver, and white for an overcast aesthetic.

The alternate jersey is my attempt to adapt the 2018/2020 championship uniform into this set.

Please let me know what you think! Go Storm!

Very well done! The logos are cleaned up very nicely and I really like the minimizing of white for that overcast feel. Just a couple things that I would tweak: yellow is the base for an entire uniform, but doesn't show up anywhere in the logos. Possibly working it into the brilliant lightning/evergreen logo would tie it into the set. In addition, and this is just my own personal preference, I don't really like having logos in place of wordmarks on jerseys. I'd replace it with the Seattle wordmark. Finally, the bolts are a little tough to see on the yellow jersey because they're white, maybe making them gray would help?

Great work, I'd love to see you take on some other WNBA teams if you so desire.

the user formerly known as cdclt

On 10/9/2020 at 6:56 AM, QCS said:

Very well done! The logos are cleaned up very nicely and I really like the minimizing of white for that overcast feel. Just a couple things that I would tweak: yellow is the base for an entire uniform, but doesn't show up anywhere in the logos. Possibly working it into the brilliant lightning/evergreen logo would tie it into the set. In addition, and this is just my own personal preference, I don't really like having logos in place of wordmarks on jerseys. I'd replace it with the Seattle wordmark. Finally, the bolts are a little tough to see on the yellow jersey because they're white, maybe making them gray would help?

Great work, I'd love to see you take on some other WNBA teams if you so desire.

Thank you for the feedback! I guess I was unclear about it, but I only wanted the yellow there for the alt as a callback to the previous jersey set (sorta like what the Calgary Flames are doing with their red & black jersey this year.) The main color scheme would be green & gray.

That said, I think yellow could work as an outline for the logos, though the result is a bit less Seattle and much less brooding & stormy:

vm2XXS7.png

As for the yellow jersey, I agree the wordmark does look good, despite being less true to the inspiration. Not sold on the gray trim, though; it looks kinda muddy, I think:

wYXLP2o.png

I'll work on a court next!

Okay, here's my court design:

wHLmrFC.png

The Mount Rainier from the shorts goes at the end lines, and a Seattle skyline covered in clouds goes on one sideline. That particular rain pattern took my computer ages to render, but I'm glad it's done! :P

The court template is from Conrad. 

C&C appreciated, and thanks for checking it out!

• vtgco changed the title to Seattle Storm Refresh (Court added)

Now this.......is.........great! You should do this for the other WNBA teams and their bad jerseys.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

Great court! This is an excellent refresh to a classic WNBA brand, great work! As for the logos, I totally understand not wanting to use too much yellow. The yellow outline looks good, but it does kind of ruin the brooding vibe the set should give off. I do like the gray bolts, but again I get that it makes it a bit muddier. That court is awesome as well. I'll echo that I'd love to see you take on other WNBA teams if you want to.

the user formerly known as cdclt

So, maybe you've seen the new Seattle Storm rebrand that came out by surprise a few weeks back.

I think it's pretty good and a sorely needed update, but I wanted to see if I could improve on a bit and mesh it with the concept I did in October.

YL0gsrN.png

The biggest change I made to the logo was to make the mountain more defined. Other than that, it's basically just a recolor.

Since the logo is way more geometric and simple, the jerseys need to change to match. The gray jersey shows the Olympic Mountains across Puget Sound, while the green jersey shows the Cascades out inland. The rain pattern and lightning bolts are simplified, and the font is swapped out to match. I just went with a generic WNBA name/number font.

Obviously the real jerseys won't look anything like this, but I had a fun time with it! Let me know what you think.

• vtgco changed the title to Seattle Storm Refresh (added v2, based on new logo)
On 10/9/2020 at 2:40 PM, vtgco said:

Thank you for the feedback! I guess I was unclear about it, but I only wanted the yellow there for the alt as a callback to the previous jersey set (sorta like what the Calgary Flames are doing with their red & black jersey this year.) The main color scheme would be green & gray.

That said, I think yellow could work as an outline for the logos, though the result is a bit less Seattle and much less brooding & stormy:

vm2XXS7.png

As for the yellow jersey, I agree the wordmark does look good, despite being less true to the inspiration. Not sold on the gray trim, though; it looks kinda muddy, I think:

wYXLP2o.png

I'll work on a court next!

The yellow outline definitely ties It all together

5 hours ago, DeluxeGraphicSupply said:

The yellow outline definitely ties It all together

Thanks for the input! Yeah, the yellow and gray don't go together very well IMO, so I figured the outlines were the only way to make the logos work with both.

Unfortunately, I couldn't make both look good on the uniforms, so for a green & yellow version, I'd have to drop gray (the stormiest color of all):

qrXzpja.png

I don't prefer it but I guess it works.

Archived