Uniforms/Logos That Don't Match the Team

The other day I was watching a classic college football game wherein I saw Notre Dame wearing something I didn't know they had ever worn:

Notre Dame Fighting Irish 2002 Football Preview

Yep that's right. Gold side panels. I believe this jersey was worn for about 2 years (2001-02) from what I could research. It is also a look that doesn't look like a team with the history of Notre Dame would wear. So I started thinking about uniforms or logos that didn't (or currently) don't fit the classic/traditional image of the team. Here are some other examples I could think of:

North Carolina Football adds black 2013-14:

See UNC's new 2013 football uniforms, unveiled at spring game - SBNation.com

2013 North Carolina Black Nike Uniforms | College football uniforms,  Football, Carolina football

Edmonton Oilers Copper Era (1996-2011)

NHL History: Edmonton Oilers take 3-0 series lead over Anaheim in 2006  playoffs

Buffalo Sabres in Black/Red/Silver (1996-2006)

Sabres Classics: Sabres close out Flyers in Game 6 of 2006 Quarterfinals

Toronto Blue Jays in Black/Graphite (2004-2011)

Toronto Blue Jays Flashback: The homer-happy 2010 team

The Disney Angels (1997-2001)

Etherton looks like a fine fit for the A's

The Browns uniforms that no one wants to remember (2015-2019)

Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms For 2015 - Cincy Jungle

BFBS side panel on the Lakers purple uniform (2018-pres)

Here's why the Lakers aren't wearing their gold jerseys at home - Los  Angeles Times

The double-blue Jazz (2004-2010)

Utah Jazz Season Preview | Future Ramblings

These are just a few examples, but I sure there's probably much more to see with this too. Looking back, time has not been kind to some of these looks.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

These days in the NBA, almost every team has at least one regularly-worn uniform that would easily fall into this category.  The NBA pictures shown here thus far are actually very tame compared to much more egregious examples that could be seen in 2020 NBA on almost any court on any given night.

56 minutes ago, SCalderwood said:

These days in the NBA, almost every team has at least one regularly-worn uniform that would easily fall into this category.  The NBA pictures shown here thus far are actually very tame compared to much more egregious examples that could be seen in 2020 NBA on almost any court on any given night.

Obviously city uniforms can fit into this category, but I wanted to focus on uniforms within a team’s more permanent rotation (icon/association/statement)

spacer.png

18 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

Edmonton Oilers Copper Era (1996-2011)

NHL History: Edmonton Oilers take 3-0 series lead over Anaheim in 2006  playoffs

I definitely disagree with this.

Working in an oil field would be tough, gritty work, and these colors represent that. On top of that, the shining moment for these uniforms was upsetting a bunch of teams en route to almost winning the Stanley Cup out of nowhere. No matter which uniform set you prefer for the Oilers, this one does match the team.

I think these NHL jerseys definitely stick out from the team's identity like a sore thumb

Best NHL alternate jerseys for every team | Sporting News

I've always thought of the Panthers as a red team so when these were released it felt out of left field.

Anaheim Mighty Ducks Photo - National Hockey League (NHL) - Chris Creamer's  Sports Logos Page - SportsLogos.Net

These could MAYBE work for the Anaheim Ducks but it seemed a little odd for the then wacky and Disney Mighty Ducks to try to impersonate the look of an Original 6 club.

New Yok Islanders place black alternate jerseys on waivers - Lighthouse  HockeyAnd probably the most egregious BFBS NHL jersey that looks more like a Brooklyn Nets warmup jersey for the Islanders than an actual full-time alternate. It felt especially weird because at the time this was the alternate, they had recently returned their primaries back to the inagural look.

1 hour ago, Ark said:

I definitely disagree with this.

Working in an oil field would be tough, gritty work, and these colors represent that. On top of that, the shining moment for these uniforms was upsetting a bunch of teams en route to almost winning the Stanley Cup out of nowhere. No matter which uniform set you prefer for the Oilers, this one does match the team.

I don't disagree that the look as a whole is nice, but when most people think of the Oilers, they think of bright blue and orange more with the ties to Gretzky and such.

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2020 at 1:58 PM, TheRoman said:

spacer.png

Hah, the Mooterus! But bump the logo...that color red just came from out of nowhere on that alternate!

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived